don't click here

Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chimera, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    I'm trying to replace SFX. I have them all at 16-bit mono 44100 Hz .wav but they crash the game when used.

2. Tanks

Tanks

[​IMG]

Tails

Knuckles

Mighty? / Metal Sonic?

Amy?

3. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

[​IMG]

Hey baby

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Are there references to extra character slots anywhere else in the games data? Could they be used to add additional characters in the future?

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I've found the code that handles reading files from the data pack/folder, but my attempts to make a proxy DLL for steam_api.dll have failed, so I dunno how to get custom code in there.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Will denuvo have to be cracked in order to get that to work?

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I don't know anything about Denuvo, but I imagine not, unless it actively scans for modifications to the game's code while the game is running.

8. sparkpinretro

sparkpinretro

Twice the tails, double the fun Member
    I assumed that was for the jellyfish badnik from 2013 Hidden Palace/Mania's Hydrocity.

EDIT: no, those are in Data/Sprites/HCZ/Enemies.gif :v: . It could've been used for a placeholder for the jellyfish though, and other HPZ objects may have been considered for addition

9. Gammatron

Gammatron

That, and I looked through the file lists someone posted earlier in the thread and only really saw assets. Of course that list is probably incomplete. Granted, I heard it was heavily scripted based from another guy on another forum so I'm taking it with a big grain of salt. For all I know, the .rsdk could just be assets and the actual brains of the game are in the .exe. I'm pretty unfamiliar with how retro engine hacking works.

10. Okay, so the always-online thing was a bug and got fixed. You guys obviously have been able to pull stuff from the game, and people have already implemented mods, so changing the content is possible. Not sure on adding additional content.

Just what the hell was Denuvo supposed to do, considering all the uproar over it? Did the devs just decide to ask the Denuvo team to give them the most barebones and broken implementation possible so that it wouldn't do shit, but they could technically tell the higher-ups "yeah, it's in"? I mean, honestly the only thing that I haven't seen so far is a cracked version (Fun Fact: I don't know about everybody else, but I checked Pirate Bay to see if there was a cracked version, and the site was down. Was Mania so anticipated that they broke the site from people looking to get around the DRM? And before you ask, yes, I already own the game on Steam.)

11. That's the thing that Denuvo's supposed to do.

12. What I meant is that Denuvo-protected games apparently don't take very long to crack. I don't recall which game it is, but there's one that was cracked within a couple days.

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Thats what it does. Denuvo isn't actually DRM, it's actually anti-tamper protection. It's meant to prevent cracks by ensuring only unchanged files can run.

Historically, Denuvo games ARE very hard to crack. And there is no singular process for cracking "denuvo games," it varies from game to game. The game you are referring to was [strike]DOOM[/strike] Tekken 7, which was abnormally quick. In fact, most Denuvo games still remain uncracked.

14. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    Did a mod :specialed:

15. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness

bro you don't need to do that because

however...

It's pretty cool how the game has a built-in way of loading from a file structure. Not only makes things a lot easier once we extract everything properly, but also looks like good workflow on Tax/Stealth's part where they can easily test stuff then enable the "packed version" later.

Also, worst case scenario, looks like denuvo avoidance :specialed:

Tiranno: mm, nice subtle touch. IDK if the sound effects for the 2-era stuff was remastered for mania (can't exactly tell), but this definitely sounds closer to what I prefer. Getting closer to what I'd like to see of a Sonic 3 PC mod :VVV

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    This is awesome, and yeah, it effectively mitigates what Denuvo is supposed to do. Which makes Denuvo's inclusion way, way stupider, lol.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Thanks to the cheat table provided earlier, I got Knuckles and Tails to work.

Fun thing I noticed. Sonic/Tails opening cutscene works perfectly for Knuckles. If you start a Sonic or Tails file with Knuckles forced in you'll get Knuckles riding the biplane, and he shockingly has sprites for that. He does not have drop dash sprites though. Oh well. I just wanted the aesthetics of Knuckles and Tails (Tails and Knuckles does not count :v:)

18. Surgesurfer

Surgesurfer

Looking through the files again and the SFX for bouncing on the Chemical Plant jelly or whatever it's actually called are called "ChemRed" for bouncing on the green jelly and "ChemYellow" for bouncing on the blue jelly.

Also in the UI, Zones.gif has really messed up colors for me but the bottom seems to have an unused Zones icon of Sonic and Tails in Green Hill, probably used for testing.

19. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Will take a very long while to complete. if only it's possible to edit the game's code. (asm plz)
    [​IMG]

20. codenamegamma

codenamegamma

Tech Member
    Did someone say Super Peel Out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1njsVHV6ZM