don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Yeah the special stages are actually really fun and can get challenging like that damn 5th chaos emerald. I wish there were more of them somehow and less Blue Spheres. If they were to be built upon, I would like to see it expanded so there would be more verticality and platfomring layers like chaotix's special stages.

2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I haven't beaten the game yet (At Metallic Madness) but Mirage Saloon Act 1 is the most jarring of the non-transitions for me. I mean....what? I remember seeing a peek at Act 1 thinking that they some how met up with Knuckles prior....but know, it's Hydrocity to Mirage Saloon Sonic 1 Style & Knuckles. Oil Ocean Zone was full of surprises and made better use out of that evil Sandopolis Zone Act 2 gimmick. Entering Blue Sphere gives a little relief.

I'm surprised how often I'm able to spam up some of the bosses (which is fine by me). In the hundreds of pages, I don't there there has been a breakdown of transitions and crazy location changes yet (granted I haven't completed the game yet):

(Angel Island Zone) - Angel Island

*Phantom Ruby Teleportation*

Green Hill Zone - South Island

*Phantom Ruby Teleportation

Chemical Plant Zone - Westside Island

*Pipe/Sewer*

Studiopolis Zone - Westside Island?

*Flying Battery flies by Mushroom Hill Style, but with dramatic mid 1900s flair on television*

Flying Battery Zone - N/A

*Nothing - Sonic 1/2 Style*

Press Garden Zone - No clue where this is

Stardust Speedway Zone - Little Planet

Hydrocity Zone - Fell back to Angel Island?

Mirage Saloon Zone - Westside Island?

*Gun Cannon to the backgroud where OOZ is visible*

Oil Ocean Zone - Westside Island

Lava Reef Zone - Back to Angel Island....Again?

Metallic Madness Zone - Back up to Little Planet....Again?

Someone else an fill in the gaps below (Did I miss anything? Any other Phantom Ruby teleportations?) :v:

Titanic Monarch Zone
    Egg Reverie Zone

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    RE: True final boss.
    I was expecting something... bigger. Maybe in the lines of Chaotix, since this is 32-bit style and all that.

I'm a bit disappointed with it. =\

4. Burrobot

Burrobot

You missed the transition between Press Garden Zone and Stardust Speedway Zone, in which it's shown that Dr Eggman has computerised the Phantom Ruby's abilities and is able to send the gang to Little Planet.

Also, Knuckles has a brief transition to Metallic Madness, where he uses a teleporter in Hidden Palace.

I don't believe there are any others, which is a shame, considering the glaring transitional plotholes without even the most rudimentary explanations given.

EDIT: Expanded post.

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    You know how MSZ act 1 is basically a Knuckles only level, anyone else think it would be great if Knuckles had a classic style game just for him built around his abilities? I feel the levels would end up being more creative in how you approach them.

6. Burrobot

Burrobot

One of my disappointments with Mania was the relative lack of Knuckles-only routes, which really allowed him to utilise his abilities in 3K thanks to level design suited exclusively to Knuckles.

Honestly, I was[ expecting more exclusive routes for Knuckles, considering the game is a natural evolution of 3K's approach to level design. Never mind, I suppose.

7. Gammatron

Gammatron

I figured I was being helpful by offering suggestions and feedback to a developer but yeah maybe this thread isn't the right place for it.

8. If this has been posted already, I'm sorry. But this is a thread with several hundred pages, and I don't feel like digging backwards and checking dates to make absolutely sure.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/29/16217598/sonic-mania-dr-eggmans-niece

Can this be a thing? I don't care if it's Mania 2 or just a ROM hack. I want this to be a thing.

9. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Oh my god, I so desperately want this to be a thing now.

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'd hate something like that to become official.

It's a fun joke.

Vidya

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I don't think Eggman's niece should be official, but I think it would be funny to see a mod of it.

Better than Ashura or Wechnia anyway :v:

12. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Definitely getting some Bowser Jr. & Nina Cortex vibes from the concept, but I definitely like her design.
    Not sure if she should be official, but I can definitely see her in some mods & fangames.

14. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    It's pretty obvious who it is when the image you're hot linking is stored on my server. Of course, someone would have to look at the URL to figure that out. Glad it got you a response to your inquiry though.

15. Gammatron

Gammatron

Sega would probably say no to her to be honest. I remember them saying that they really don't like third parties giving Sonic characters relatives, so that's why Snivley was no longer Robotnik's nephew in the Archie reboot.

I really would kind of want a second Mania game to cameo some of the cartoon characters and make them canon, but that's probably not going to happen. A lot of people really want Scratch and Grounder to make a comeback, and I'm one of those people. Although those two guys are kinda sorta canon anyway because they are badniks from Sonic 2 after all.

Then again, they did give the Hard Boiled Heavies the stamp of approval so you never know, Izuka might like her and make her official.

I went through Knuckles' MSZ Act 1 with Sonic & Tails just to see if I could finish it without using debug mode just to see if I could. I actually managed it, but I had to have Tails airlift Sonic constantly and it took me like 8 minutes. lol

But yeah, it's about time for Knuckles to get another spinoff. Eggman, too.

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Whoops, id actually rehosted on imgur, but sometimes if you right click an image being uploaded to imgur to copy the image location too soon, it'll still use the original url instead of the new host. I posted so quickly, I didnt even realize it was using the original host. My bad.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Funny thing, I didn't see her, just Eggman upside down. After seeing her, I can't unsee!

Also, if anyone deserves a spinoff, its Eggman. A swimming level is a must!

18. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    She reminds me of this handsome devil:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. corneliab

corneliab

That dunkey easter egg seems like an uncharacteristically daft thing to include. Kinda wish I didn't know about that.

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    So, anyone had any luck getting the game to run 4:3? I recall Taxman saying it would be playable like that, but whenever I swap to one of those resolutions, it still runs letterboxed. I had thought we'd seen it 4:3 during the Collector's Editon infomercial parody, but looking at it again, I think it's just cutting off the right side of the screen.