don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)

Some silly thing I tried. Won't be doing anything more with that particular thing. + - OR WON'T I???  

@Drex: Nice downconversion; and yes, I am thinking of moving towards a single unified palette for all teams.

Edit: by god, youtube butchered that poor video's quality. Will record and reupload.

Edit 2: reuploaded.

2. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Came to see if anyone brought up Oil Ocean again, stayed for the awesome new Chaotix sprites.

The whole mix-and-match business makes me wonder if this means we'll get a Hyper Charmy/Espio/Vector or if things will be stripped down.

3. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Regarding Hyper: I did come up with an idea, but I have no idea how good it will look. The super transformation will be done by fading the whole palette to white and back; I was thinking that Hyper could fade to the various colors and back. So something like:

fade to normal -> fade to green -> fade to normal -> fade to cyan -> fade to normal -> fade to blue -> fade to normal -> fade to purple -> fade to normal -> fade to red -> fade to normal -> fade to yellow -> loop

Edit: something like this:
    Super:
    [​IMG]

Hyper:
    [​IMG]

4. Brainulator

Brainulator

That actually looks pretty cool. May I ask if a lack of unique Hyper Sonic/Super Shadow colors are intended or an oversight?

5. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I like the hyper effect, but it loses too much contrast when flashing. I think should look more like this

[​IMG]

Red, blue, and magenta need to be lightened up, but you catch my drift, right?

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I hope you're planning to implement something this, or at least considering it. I would like to see the ability to play with repeated characters in a future version. It may be pointless in single player, but it would have its use in co-op.

Being able to pick characters from multiple teams (ie: Tails+Knuckles+Espio) would be even better, but I'm guessing palette limitations would make that impossible.

7. Brainulator

Brainulator

The plan is have a single palette for all characters, as various pictures have demonstrated.

8. flamewing

flamewing

France
    This is pretty much what I had in mind; my earlier animation was a hack job done in one minute while I talked on the phone just to illustrate what I meant, and was nowhere near final. I noticed you kept the black, well, black; I kind of like the effect overall, but some characters (like Shadow) end up flashing too little. Hm.

Edit: More silly things:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. I see Sonia, but no Manic? Why not ask MarkeyJester for his wonderful sprites from Sonic 1 Brother Trouble?

Also see a few characters I haven't seen in other pictures too. Glad to see both Tikal and Big are both being considered. I'm hoping all these last few nice shots hint that things are progressing nicely.

10. So since I see Chaotix Knuckkles on the sheet and no recent posts about it beyond sprite stuff, is playing as Knuckles as he appeared in Chaotix a planned feature even accounting for the redone sprites for Team Chaotix? Just wondering about the gameplay differences (if any) if Chaotix Knuckles is actually implemented =P.

11. Drex

Drex

We should go ahead and put Mania Knuckles in so we can flesh out Knuckles, Knuckles, and Knuckles mode

12. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR

Provisional Member
    USA, Florida
    http://leafosgaming.wixsite.com/leafos

How was this done, can this be done with cheat engine to change the player pointer for each character like in Mania?

13. I feel I should comment that I like the newest HUD you have there, getting rid of the yellow shades makes it easier to read.

14. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Oh WOW this was the slowest turnaround ever.

15. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    How hard would it be to have both a single universal palette and pre-determined teams both in the same rom as a toggle-able setting? Don't get me wrong I like the idea of any character being selectable, but I do see a lot of value in keeping having the teams theme. selfishly I do enjoy looking at sprites what haven't been butchered into a single unified palette, I'm a sucker for colour fidelity and the homage to the 'Heroes' game the title is based on

Push it further and game-ify the process by having a progression in unlocking characters (that you can cheat code?) where you can unlock the single unified palette mode characters by playing and completing the game with different teams, unlocking that team's characters

maybe the latter suggestion is pushing it a bit too far but I would (selfishly) be a bit sad to see the teams thing go. Maybe i should get over it aye.

16. Drex

Drex

That would require duplicates of every character sprite. I don't believe there'd be enough space for the extra art.

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    This was done after a lot of incremental changes towards flexibilizing the way players work, which I have been doing for years in unreleased builds, finally got to the point of fruition. It is theoretically possible to do in a cheat engine, but you would need to replace most of the ROM by cheat codes to be able to replicate it.

To be fair, it has been there for quite a while, I just never got around to making a release with this new HUD. Which I should, it looks SO much better...

It is worse than that; Super Sonic, Knuckles and Espio actually have parts of their sprites in separate palette lines (the green eyes for Super Sonic, the green socks for Knuckles and Espio), meaning that they rely on having green colors on other palette lines. When I swap to the universal palettes, I will be editing the levels back to the stock art, which will make some things look better again in several places (such as the BG not flashing in CPZ2 when you hit Eggman).

So I would need to have duplicate art and mappings for every character, object and level. Yeah, I am not going to do that.

18. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I found a vendor in Texas who is selling this mod on hardware at-cost(parts and a little for labor) with a game case and everything. Damn shame it wouldn't work with my EA 4-Way play.

19. flamewing

flamewing

France
    SCH has support only for Sega's Team player; there is so little documentation on the EA 4-Way Play that I did not want to even try writing code for it.

20. MegaSuperab

MegaSuperab

Can you add some kind of option to use the Sonic 1/2 Sonic sprites instead of Sonic 3's?