don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. I strongly disagree with people saying boss designs are bad in Mania. I think S3&K and CD had a larger share of bad designed bosses than Mania. The only design that could be better is PGZ1 boss.

Also, loved the Shinobi sound effects used on Heavy Shinobi battle.

2. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Regarding the special stages... does the game auto -accelerates for you, or you have to keep the up key constantly pressed? I failed four times the third special stage (the pink one) because even at mach 4, I couldn't catch up to the UFO. It was always half a course ahead of me. The fifth time I made sure to press the up key, and I completed it easily. Was I dreaming or something? :P

What a wonderful game, my god.

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Is that all Stealth said? I thought he said something worth worrying about.

Oh yeah, gotta echo:
    FFFUCK the 5th special stage.
    I still love it.

4. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    While Stealth was perfectly right in his outburst, I prefer Taxman's more subtle approach: https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/902611292841586689

5. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    lol, I beat almost every boss in Mania using that tactic.

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I definitely think there are more in Mania which discourage this.

7. urlogic

urlogic

[​IMG]

How is this possible? Somebody even submitted a literal non-time.

8. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    The only bosses I didn't really like was Press Garden and Oil Ocean Act 1's. The rest are just poorly conveyed, but still way more fun than the original games bosses.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I think PG1 boss was quite smart actually. What don't you like about it?

I can understand people disliking OO1 boss though.

10. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Very impressive!!!

In regards to the bosses. I don't think anyone has said that they weren't innovative or awesome, but it's the higher level of ambiguity which provides a cheapened feel of challenge.

Time Attack: I saw those leaderboards and I am wondering what they are doing to cheat the system....which is why I did GHZ as Knuckles and placed 65th. Are the leader boards across all platforms or are they siloed per system?

11. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    It was just kind of tame to me and way too easy. I would have liked if the boxes maybe tried to fall on top of you, or maybe the boss had a "berserk" attack one it got hit where you had to used the blue boxes instead to avoid it. Once you got the strat there's not a lot the boss can do to actually hurt you. I guess an easy, simple boss is better than a cheap, complicated one, it's just not that fun to me.

12. Jelq God

Jelq God

Man, the Mania team deserved so much better than this.

13. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    For my opinion, is clearly the devs knew about the DRM stuff and they just simply delayed the game to have two weeks of positive reactions with the console versions...

14. Gammatron

Gammatron

Taxman is handling a shitty situation very well.

The devs absolutely knew about the DRM (and didn't like it), but it's the publisher that decides to release or delay a game, not the devs. So no, there was no fiendish scheme from the devs to try and get positive reviews and to suggest that is ridiculous.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    http://i.imgur.com/XYPtWfD.png
    I'd have done the same.

16. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    How does he not get that he's barking up the wrong tree? It's going to be a very frustrating few weeks when there's probably at least a dozen more people doing the same thing. Tell SEGA, not the devs who can't do anything.

17. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Spend a good six hours last night on a PC version Sonic & Tails playthrough. Needless to say, I had a blast. Gotta say, I spend more time in the blue sphere bonus getting tokens. Only downside is you don't get to finish off any of the Hardboiled heavies. There is also the lack of level transitions in some stages but that's more "meh" than an actual problem.

Didn't run into any bugs in the main campaign but there was something wrong with the Mean Bean Machine game. It seems you can glitch blocks into other blocks with enough ramming if you set it to level five. That's probably on the bottom of the bug fix list but noted.

Edit: I wonder when Sega is going to release the Soundtrack for the game on Steam?

18. I know they're likely more occupied with far bigger problems at the moment, but have we still not gotten an excuse or explanation from any of the developers for why half the zone transitions are missing?

Also, whenever the music fails to play after the invincibility music finishes, it seems to trigger crashes. Last night I kept playing Lava Reef Act 1 in Time Attack Mode with Knuckles trying to widen the margin between my number 1 time and you other scrubs and I would consistently grab invincibility, have the music fail to load, and then further down the level when I'd hit the speed shoes, the game would crash.

This was on Xbox One if anybody cares.

19. Prototype

Prototype

Using up some of my trial posts for a quick Mania rundown.

Got the Steam version, played fine initially. Got up to Press Garden before taking a break. Next day I find out about all this Denuvo shit which is incredibly frustrating. By principle I should get a refund, but it's a testament to how good the game is that I just want to play it. After the update/patch that allowed offline play, only THEN did my PC pick up SonicMania.exe as a virus. I know the devs didn't want this, and boy do I sympathize with them.

It's ridiculous. The thing that's supposed to prevent piracy is the very thing that's spurring people on to pirate the game, which certainly isn't fair on the Mania devs. Not only that, but the game got cracked within hours, rendering this whole Denuvo thing a complete and utter waste of time. It's pretty much burned up all of the goodwill people had for SEGA that they gained in the lead up to Mania, and I'm literally seeing thousands of people asking for refunds. It's crazy. Ugh.

Anyway, the game itself is great, although I have noticed quite a few bugs. Things like Monitors already being broken when you find them, and in the Blue Sphere stages occasionally you can have multiple blue spheres left on screen but collecting one can trigger the win, which makes it frustrating when you're going for the gold medals. Oh, and the Oil Ocean boss was pretty hard to complete, because when I'd jump and hit the circle-thingies on the tentacles and fall down, for some reason it would act as if the oil floor had no collision, leading to a lot of cheap deaths.

I love how they expanded the stages. They're very fun to explore, although I think I join a lot of people in saying I wish there were more original stages. I hope that the crew get the chance to make a wholly original game next time, providing SEGA aren't petty about the whole Stealth tweet.

I think that the Hard-Boiled Heavies are one of the coolest additions to the Sonic franchise, and I really hope we see them in future installments.

The Special Stages can be ridiculously hard at times, and I don't think I'll ever get all the Emeralds on a single playthrough, but honestly, I love that they're hard. Plenty of replay value, and it reminds me of when I was 4 struggling through the Blue Sphere stages.

I'd give it a 8/10 in general. It's got a lot to offer. I don't think it flows as well as S3&K, but that's to be expected when you're picking a bunch of Zones from previous games.

20. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu8G2YfDXMU

Has this been brought up? Apparently not only does the special edition Megadrive/Genesis have an LED in it for power switch. The power switch circuit board even has connectors for it that you can solder up in like, a minute.