don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. I feel sorry for Taxman and Stealth (and the rest of the team), this choice by SEGA Europe has completely wiped out all the good will of Sonic Mania for PC Gamers.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    What happened, don't know a lot about it (educate me please). Looking online pretty much tells me that Denuvo damaging drives is a rumour (at first glance at least)

Just all seems a little crazy to me. It's being treated as if it's Satan himself, is it really that bad?

3. Raivop

Raivop

Ze Lurker Member
    Putting Denuvo-DRM bullshit aside, I did tonight first playthrough as Sonic (/w Tails): managed to get every Emerald in 4th Zone, and had like about 40 lives in the end. Only three deaths and that's were because I got crushed.
    Personally this is the easiest classic Sonic game to get every Emerald, because I found Special Stages fairly easy once you know how to handle the controls. Heh, makes me wish that there would be more Special Stages for this game, because man, I love them so much. Although I wasn't too fond for Blue Sphere Bonus Stages because I don't really like 'em much (some layouts are just trollish if you aim for Perfect), and you have to play them to unlock bonus stuff, but then again, this is my personal opinion.

Gonna finish Knuckles playthrough tomorrow: played up till + - Oil Ocean   and got every Emerald in 2nd zone already. Sheesh. Oh, and I hope there will be an option in near future that lets you compare friend's time records in Time Attack, because that would boost the hell out of replay value, if I can compete my friends' time records.

Props to Mania team for creating such masterpiece. Thank you so much.

4. Pengi

Pengi

What's the source for this?

5. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    I don't know about damaging hard drives... But:

https://whyisdenuvobad.github.io/

6. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I've just shit up Sega's support page and I encourage all of you PC players to do the same. Denuvo is a piece of garbage, and none of the other singleplayer SEGA games have it included. I already had to wait two weeks for the PC version of the game to come out and such a DRM measure was not communicated at the time of preorder. I'm perfectly capable of refunding my copy and waiting for the version that doesn't punish me with performance issues and online singleplayer for buying it.

I won't because Sonic Mania is what I've wanted for decades. But the point stands.

7. JoePro

JoePro

I think I may have found a bug. I have the Steam version, and for the first few hours it seems that achievements weren't added yet. Of course, I managed to complete the game before achievements were added, and because of this I don't have any of them. This isn't too big of a deal, I'll just have to go back and get them again.

However, I did manage to get a silver medal for each blue sphere stage before achievements were added, which is the requirement for one of them. But since I've done this before achievements were added to the Steam version, it seems I am locked out of getting this specific achievement. I've tried going back and beating a blue sphere level again, but I still don't have the achievement. Is there any other way I could possibly get this achievement now, or is it a bug and am I locked out until there is a fix?

Thanks is advance.

8. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I've made my first run on Mania using keyboard because of this issue, and Steam's controller support didn't help either. I don't know exactly what was happening in the background, but steam changed automatically some button assignments when I was manually changing other ones. It's been quite uncomfortable, but, other than that, it didn't matter because both are equally bad, and the xbox type controller I have is even worse. Well, not that bad, just worse than playing on good old Mega drive with its allso good old controllers.

9. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Ugh, so is THIS what the delay on the steam version was for - to add this Denuvo crap?

10. luluco

luluco

Brazil
    I tried this first, but no matter what I did the game didn't recognize my controller (while Steam itself did), the devs acknowledged this is a bug.

I've been using AntiMicro to convert my joystick inputs into keyboard inputs, the game becomes extremely satisfying with an USB Saturn controller.
    Also AntiMicro is open source and multi-system so I'd recommend it over JoyToKey and Xpadder.

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

Denuvo explains why mac and linux ports don't exist. Blah

12. heeheehippo

heeheehippo

so is the super transformation the only difference between PC and console as far as major changes go? no other added extras, correct?

13. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
  14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I keep having people comment on my video defending the idea of Sonic being able to fall off the plane in MSZ1 as "a well-crafted feature".

No.

No it isn't.

15. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    Denuvo isn't affecting my playing but it's still bullshit regardless. I remember when Just Cause 3 came out and it was horrible with it.

I'll do my part in complaining to SEGA. Also, is that supposed to be Ray in the MSZ2 boss?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nope it's Bark, Bean, and Fang.

Yea the DRM is pretty scummy. It hasn't affected me (unless my controller not working properly is a result of that) but still, scummy. I already had the game ordered via the collectors edition so there was no point in boycotting it as they had my money, but I hope they address this, it isn't fair to anyone.

Also for anyone curious, once you unlock Debug mode the Level Select screen can be accessed by holding down A+Q on the No Save menu.

EDIT: Interesting. There's one more item that can be placed in the Debug menu that's not found in the PS4 version (and I'm assuming the others). It's an icon with an S on it. Placing it will give you a funky collision view of the level. Placing it again will remove it. Kinda neat.

17. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    Out of curiosity, who did you think was Ray?

18. Socknic

Socknic

Someone Too Tough To Beat Member
    I played for about an hour as soon as the game was available on Steam, and was able to earn achievements from the get-go. I haven't come across any reports of achievement issues, so it may be on your end. If it really bothers you, I've heard of tools which allow you to forcibly unlock Steam achievements, so that's a possible solution.

19. JoePro

JoePro

I plan on replaying the game agin with other characters anyway, so I'll probably get them that way.

I just hope I'm not locked out of the blue sphere achievement.

20. HyperShadowDC

HyperShadowDC

Oldbie
    Steam Achievements don't matter, there's no security around the system at all. Just download Steam Achievement Manager and give yourself the missing achievements.