don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    reboot steam

2. Guess I'll have to play using the keyboard, then... Which sucks, because I was going to play it on my CRT TV using a controller for a more authentic experience, but now I'm stuck to my desk and my crappy LCD monitor. It seems like some of us really can't make any plans for Mania... first the delay, now this... that's quite frustrating.

I though I was all set because the controller worked fine Sonic CD. But apparently things changed since back then. If the controller works in Steam's interface, shouldn't it work in the game too?

3. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    You should be able to use something like Joy2Key if you're desperate.

4. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The issue seems to be XInput and Steam API are fighting for use of the gamepad. If it's an XInput controller I'd fully disable steam's gamepad stuff and reboot steam. Hopefully then the game can just use its native implementation of XInput API, like Sonic CD.

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

have you set up the per-game configuration? EDIT: Again, have you rebooted steam/your PC? Sometimes, after defining your controller, it'll work in menus but not in game. This happened to me the first time I defined the SLS Saturn controller. A reboot of steam and it all worked fine.

This isn't the case with me. I've gotten a SLS Saturn controller working (d-input), a RetroUSB to genesis adapter working (D-input) and an Xbox One controller working (XInput). "Generic Gamepad Support" maps d-input to Xinput via the steam API. Your game should never even see the Steam API, it should see all those controllers as Xinput.

6. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I know the game runs at 60FPS on Console but it feels like runs even smoother on PC, no idea why! It just feels so good.

I'm so hyped to 100% the game all over again :v:

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

Are you sure the controller bindings are actually set up to work as a controller, and not still be confused for some weird PC interface usage thing? I've had trouble in recent memory with Steam throwing a real tissy if I don't rebind the controller functionality to the actual controller buttons for some reason lately.

8. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Yeah, the way it's meant to work is that the native XInput in the Retro Engine will defer to Steam API if it's being used for XInput, but maybe there's a conflict in tokumaru's case idk. Steam Universal controller support is supposed to be a wonderful thing, but it's a little bit "fresh" right now, I think in time it should hopefully be easier for people to use.

9. Thanks for helping out with the controller stuff, guys... My controller finally works in the game after rebooting! Didn't change any settings, it's still enabled in Steam.

Now let's play some Mania!!!

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

jfc, of course it's a simple reboot. I don't know why Steam is so tied to restarting the program or rebooting the computer nowadays :v:

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I published my sls definition and retro usb definition (not the button mapping for mania, the actual definition of the controllers for steam to interpret as xinput) so hopefully that helps someone.

Edit: btw guys, valve used me to set up a lot of the steam controller config stuff back in the day and I still keep close contact with the team, so if you have serious problems please post them and ill relay your input.

Xbox, PlayStation, and steam controllers should be just about plug and play these days. The nature of mania and using retro controllers means a lot of edge cases, which is why so much weird stuff is being reported.

12. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I don't see why controller input couldn't have just worked the way it did with Taxman's old demos. This Steam API stuff is not common knowledge, so it's generating a lot of angry support threads on the Steam forum. (As well as people who can't get it to work either way.) Previous promises of direct-input support feel totally meaningless now.

Between this, rumors of Denuvo, and the game making my laptop's fan scream, this is far from the PC launch I was expecting. :( Guess I learned my lesson to not have such expectations for any PC game on release, even in rare instances like this. It might be this evening or even tomorrow before this bad tastes leaves my mouth, so I can get back to enjoying Mania from my desktop.

13. You're not the only one. This game's CPU usage is quite surprising to me.

As for DRM: The game will not start unless you're connected to the Steam server. If I disable Wi-fi, I can't start the game. If my shitty connection drops out (like it does every couple of minutes) then I can't start the game. No using Steam in offline mode, no playing this game on the road or on holiday apparently.

Fuck you, SEGA.

14. Thanks sir! I don't have Mania yet but Steam was giving me problems with my Mayflash adapter on Sonic CD a couple of weeks ago so I'm going try to use your definitions tonight on Mania

15. I feel sorry for the people who had tech issues with the game. Only thing I could nitpick is that I couldn't disable Vsync on Options. Aside that, things have been perfect so far (and I didn't feel any input lag despite Vsync being on).

16. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I'm thinking the Vsync bug might be the culprit in my laptop's performance problems. (While the game runs without problems, Mania runs the risk of overheating the machine.) No matter what I try from the menu, Vsync turns itself back on, and even setting the Settings.ini to Read-Only doesn't seem to have any effect.

My desktop can still handle it with Vsync on in the meantime, but there's no way I can take Mania on the go with me, or play it from the TV via my laptop, as it is. Hope there's a hotfix soon.

Denuvo is supposed to prevent tampering with files, right? This sounds very, very familiar. :v:

17. Regarding the whole Denuvo thing, Aaron said this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/902608083200819200

18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The game runs perfect for me and I've had zero controller related problems. Also thrilled about that one major gameplay change compared to the original console version. That was the only aspect to Sonic Mania I hated. lol I adore this game immensely. It might be my favorite Sonic game at this point. Fantastic job Taxman, Stealth, and everyone else involved in the Sonic Mania team.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Requesting as many people as possible let Sega know how stupid this decision was...

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Already sent a message about the drm. I hate this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.