don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    "To optimize" means to make optimal. The way you make something optimal is to use the hardware available as best as possible. Things which are general are usually not optimal, and vice versa. It's really that simple.

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Really can't wait to finally play this - have to go out this evening so I won't be able to get started until tomorrow, but I've got tomorrow booked off so I can have a proper Mania marathon! Don't usually take time off for video games, but had a spare day of holiday so decided to go for it. Anyone else taken time off work for this, either now or for the console release?

3. Deef

Deef

That's what I should have done with the console release.

Anyway, crossing my fingers it has 144Hz support!

4. MartiusR

MartiusR

Exactly - and what is happening when your software is better using available resources on some configuration(s) - the same, which previously were insufficient to be considered as "minimal" or "optimal" for program to run? System requirements ("real") are lower (vide casus with Witcher 1, which after many patches and improvements after release had lower "real" system requirements, where game was running fine.

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I took the day off on the 15th for it. First time I took a day off specifically for any game, and it was way worth it. Got a migraine though, figures.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    You've completely missed the point of my posts. That being that your seething claim that they lied because hardware requirements didn't lower is bunk, that you don't appear equipped to have a technical understanding of what optimization is, and that your bar for optimization being "lowered minimum specs" is a misreading of what optimization can be and often is. If you're classifying optimization solely as a method to lower minimum system requirements, then you flat-out don't know what optimization is. Indeed, optimization is often the opposite, it increases specificity and lowers generality.

And you're not really saying anything new in any of your posts.

Regarding Witcher 1: Those "patches" were merely ini file edits, i.e. fine tuning configuration files to turn down effects and buffers that were always, from the get-go, meant to be configurable. Which, ironically, is much closer to your original claims that one would consider them "in categories of compability than optimization." If this is what you think optimization is, no wonder you're confused.

7. Flygon

Flygon

I wonder if my CRT will do 200Hz running 640*480? :v:

8. synchronizer

synchronizer

Sure, but the way Taxman phrases it ("In the future") makes it seem as though we will wait weeks or more.

9. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    As said earlier in the thread, iirc, updates for console versions have to be certified before released. So even if they wanted to post an update now, they couldn't do it right away.

I think there's three minutes left before the game unlocks in my timezone. So hyped. :)

EDIT: Turns out it's still less than an hour away, what a tease. Be still, my heart. :specialed:

10. "This game will unlock in approximately less than an hour".

Ugh, Steam.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I guess the counter rounds down to the nearest hour, which sort of gives the false impression it releases an hour before it actually does. Why they can't just use a countdown in hh:mm:ss format, like the preorder timer immediately below it, I don't know. Also apparently you can still preorder the game for an hour after it's released.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm sorry. What?

How does that even work

13. It's far more egregious when they round down weeks and months the same way (which they do), but I suppose when the date's right above it's less likely to confuse. Also, it looks like they, as of a couple of minutes ago, just updated the pre-order timer to be correct by shaving an hour off of it.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Yes, the Steam store generally updates at 10am VALVE Standard Time (Pacific). Sometimes they do midnight launches for really high profile games, but if it's first-party VALVE stuff they are pretty much bound to screw it up and launch a few hours late. But for a 3rd-party game launching at the normal 10am PDT, that shouldn't be an issue at all.

15. Also noticed the pre-order/release time discrepancy. Anyway, guess I'll be home for the launch after all!

16. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The preorder timer has been updated to reflect the release date - 15 minutes bois

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Maybe they read my post. :v:

18. Deef

Deef

Terrible time for Australia :(

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    It says I can play the game now! Now I can enjoy the game on my own terms instead of having to re-accomplish the same things repeatedly on different devices from friends. Also will finally play Knuckles which I saved for the PC version outside of the game's first act.

20. Game's out. If you have it pre-ordered, the 'Install' button should be there if you check your library.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.