don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I'm wondering if the dev team is even allowed to talk about the story, at least until Sonic Forces is out.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Looks like the story in Mania is meant to serve as a mere teaser for forces I'm afraid. So It'll be kept ambiguous till then I'm sure.

#stillaintbuying

3. Deef

Deef

No so phased personally about Super's double jump.

My (unlikely) hope is that they return Knuckles' to his Sonic & Knuckles controls... able to spin dash while crouching after landing/sliding instead of having to wait to stand then duck again.

Also keen to know if Mania really will support high refresh rates. I've seen it mentioned but not enough to confirm.

Edit - Just trying Sonic CD overspeed at 144fps... damn it is nice. If Mania has fixes the issue Sonic CD had...... .......

4. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Time to think too much about things that don't matter :P

[​IMG]

The Gang gets warped from Angel Island to South Island / Green Hill Zone

They then get warped to West Side Island / Chemical Plant

They travel to Studiopolis via sewers

Hop onto the flying battery

Drop off at Press Garden (assumed still West Side Island)

Get Warped to Little Planet / Stardust Speedway.

Fall off Little Planet onto Hydrocity Zone (Little Planet hooked to Angel Island)

Fall out of that back to Westside Island. Grab Tornado, head to Mirage Salloon

Get shot over to Oil Ocean.

Floating Island above Oil Ocean, Get shot back to below Angel Island / Lava Reef

Get on Rocket in background of Knuckles' Lava Reef Zone to Little Planet / Metallic Madness

Go to Titanic Monarch.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually yea I was thinking about that. Are all the new zones (outside of Titanic Monarch) on the Sonic 2 island? Studiopolis is connected to Chemical Plant, Mirage Saloon is connected to Oil Ocean, and Press Garden isn't on Angel Island or Little Planet so where else would it be? And part of me thinks it'd have made more sense to have the levels bundled together based off their original games. Like this might have allowed for easier transitions

GHZ > CPZ > SOZ > FBZ > PGZ > MSZ > OOZ > HCZ > LRZ > SSZ > MMZ > TMZ

The first couple levels are fine, and since FBZ isn't an actual location it can be wherever, a scene showing Sonic jumping off the ship and then falling into the factory though might have been nice (they literally could have just reused the original S&K end of level FBZ transition).

And on another note, thank god they fixed the Super transformation. Now that the PC version is out I'll be playing that one until further notice, especially because I can now play it with a Saturn controller... actually I may abandon the PS4 version with the exception of Time Trial mode. I'm guessing that'll be easily hacked/useless on the PC once mods are introduced and someone inevitably figures out how to activate debug mode in Time Trial or how to freeze the timer so I'm not going to invest much time there.

6. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Honestly, I never thought that was possible, so I didn't even try. I never knew about it until people started talking about it in this thread. To me, the way it is is the logical design choice.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It'd be less weird if Knuckles had a landing animation that was different from his crouching animation.

8. Deef

Deef

Kind of not so logical? To spin dash after a landing, Knuckles crouches, stands, and crouches again.

But mainly it'd be nice if it just controlled like Sonic 3. If you got used to that control it's a pretty significant change to Knuckles' style of play.

9. This was literally the only thing I felt was truly missing from Mania. I would rather have something there than nothing even if it were just abusing the ruby, or as Dark Sonic said, reusing the S&K transition at the end of FBZ.

Glad to hear about the patch coming to consoles though, the separate button for Super will make all the difference with Tails and Knuckles.

I had no idea Knuckles used to be able to do this either, kind of like his own version of the Drop Dash! I love that there is all this stuff I am still discovering about the original games this long afterwards.

10. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    (I love that image.) Honestly, I'd love to accept this as what happened and call it a day, but Angel Island being in the water at the start of the game, with Knuckles just having' a chuckle and not giving a fuckle, adds another problem to this whole mess. Unless the Phantom Ruby sends it back into the sky for the above to happen.

There's also the idea that Eggman moved Oil Ocean to Angel Island using the ruby, meaning HC > MS > OO > LR are all Angel Island now, but that's just my attempt to simplify it with 'a wizard did it' thinking.

I hope Forces does explain some of this, or at least a small writeup from the Mania team once Forces is done and dusted!

11. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Now if only we can get a ticker to turn off Super form music.

12. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

This. I like the zone music more in most cases.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    This! The super music is nice but it gets tiring.

14. Agreed as well, rather listen to the zone music.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Once someone gets the chance to play the PC version, can we get a list of bugs that may have been fixed? Just curious/bored at work, either way I'll find out in like 7 hours.

16. synchronizer

synchronizer

Someone should try those DarkSpinesSonic bugs, yes.

17. I just want to say a massive thankyou to all you members & mods of retro for not spoiling the game for us PC lot.

Very thoughtful. Not long to go...

18. The Steam version is now released. 318MB download.

19. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Have to wait till after work to play it!

Why on a Tuesday :( What is this, 1992?

20. Socknic

Socknic

Someone Too Tough To Beat Member
    I just collected all emeralds on the PC version and was pleasantly surprised to find that they added a dedicated super transformation button.