don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Practically every damn character in the series can run as fast as Sonic within the confines of a platform game. If he ran at the speed of sound all the time, navigating a Zone would be a pain in the ass.

On the other hand, don't listen to me, I'm stoked to team up with Sonic as a custom hero and blow up robots, I don't know what I'm talking about.

2. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    That bridge got burned a long time ago in Sonic Heroes when they decided to make Amy a "speed" character without any explanation. Shadow is a bio-weapon and Espio is a Ninja. What was Amy's excuse for being so fast?

3. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Love

4. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Nope. Love was how she found him, mentioned nothing about being super fast.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfX-laMiRTo

5. Retroman

Retroman

This game will produce lots of memes. Mark my words.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe that's why this is being made. Aaron was running low on memes and their social media account is one of the best things they have going for them. So they requested a meme game.

7. Haxhabte

Haxhabte

USA
    I believe you can alternate at will considering that throughout the video they're seen switching in a random, inconsistent manner which means that it cant possibly be an automatic thing.

I think that having the avatar be as fast as sonic isnt really too big of an issue. Sonic's significance in the resistance isnt just his speed advantage but also his natural abilities whereas the custom hero uses weapons to be as effective. I mean he cant even spin jump or actually go as fast as sonic can since he cant boost. Granted this is just me theorizing based on gameplay but I feel that it's worth mentioning.

8. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I mean to be fair, out of Amy, Big, and Cream, it should come as no surprise that Amy is the closest to a "speed" character the team has.

9. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Amy I can just about get, since she was already speeding around in the Advance games by then, but nothing will convince me to be okay with watching Big the Cat run around high-speed loops and grind rails. What kind of catnip was he taking to manage those tricks?

10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Big got into PCP sometime around SA2.

11. Retroman

Retroman

This game looks alright from the videos. It could actually be ok.

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    What's good about it

13. It looks like you can switch on demand from what I can tell from some videos by using their respective abilities (Boost/Wispon).

---

Here's a guy doing a speedrun on Modern Sonic's City Heights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtsSviAEXYY

The way that the boost arcs in the air is kinda cool, actually. Looks like Forces will be fun to speedrun at the very least.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh that's good, you can actually skip over some of the automated sections. I can't say for sure since I haven't played it, but it at least looks like Modern Sonic controls well. Even in Generations Modern Sonic had some wonkyness, particularly when going off of curved ramps. Whether they actually fixed that or they just made their scripted events look more natural idk, but still it looks better.

It's like the pieces are there but the levels they're put in are so boring looking. I'm hoping that either these levels are easier because they're early in game and they get more elaborate, or that modders can use this game as a base to make some interesting things (or at least maybe port Generations stages over).

Based off what I've seen this is kinda my pros and cons list so far

Pros
    - Modern Sonic and the Custom Character seem to control well
    - Wisps are used far better in this then they ever have been
    - OC creator looks like stupid fun. For those not inclined to use it, just design the OC to look as much like Sonic or another official character as possible
    - Nice to see some bosses that don't involve endless running
    - Art style seems to be on point for the most part

Undecided
    - Classic Sonic
    - Music

Cons
    - The levels we've seen so far look boring
    - Classic Sonic doesn't seem to have a point at all
    - Boost pads are fucking everywhere (Just get rid of them, or get rid of half of them. They can't all be needed)

15. Haxhabte

Haxhabte

USA
    Im not gonna like the boost looks mad broken with how far you can go with it. The arc just gives it so much range when used right. Right now I hope they go with more open level design in later stages. I'm sure that will alleviate the problems it currently has with it being boring.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You're allowed to like the character creator as much as I dislike it. Not got an issue with your opinion here.

But can I just say what a shitty excuse and cop-out that is? The avatar character is an a part of the story, and is supposed to have their own identity (i.e. you). Designing one to look like another character doesn't change any of that. You can't just pretend that one thing is something else. It doesn't work.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Eh, yea it's a cop-out, I won't deny that. Simply trying to find a way to soften the blow for those who don't care for the feature, as like it or not there it is.

Or search your name + the hedgehog and try to make it as close to the cringiest design possible. Or just make Coldsteel. Nothing Personnel kid. BTW will you be able to name your creation? I know it's never going to be mentioned in the story due to voice acting and the like, but what about in game text or something.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That only makes it worse cause you end up with this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fGFjoeyc6I

The blow is there. You can't soften it.

If I ever get Forces (which I'd do pre-owned because no-way I'm giving SEGA money for this), then I'll make my character look as inoffensive amongst the rest of the cast as possible. That, or yeah I'll go full Coldsteel.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    How'd I forget about Blonic? The best original character.

I seriously wonder how many coldsteels will be made though.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Cop-out or not, it's exactly what I'd be doing with the OC stuff. There's a scarf, it's going to be Boom Sonic, and likely never touched after the story run's done.