don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Frostav

Frostav

Yeah, press Garden is without a doubt probably the most creative zone ideas in the entire series, Classic or Modern. It and Studiopolis make me REALLY excited to see what they cook up with that all-original sequel that Sega is OBVIOUSLY greenlighting as we speak, riiiiiiiiight? :v:

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea Sega not greenlighting a Mania 2 would basically just be them saying "Nah, we don't like money or positive press."

They're pretty stupid sometimes with Sonic but hopefully not that stupid.

3. Frostav

Frostav

Problem is not really whether they're gonna greenlight a seque, but if they meddle in the development and get the entire wrong idea.

This is the same company who saw the success of Generations and decided that the thing people liked about it was Green Hill Zone coming back. I really don't want Iizuka demanding remixed stages again. That man's cluelessness is just staggering at times :/

4. Montblanc

Montblanc

And some of the newspapers in the background have Sonic face printed on it. In act 2 trunks are being processed, I thought Eggman was obtaining the paper from them.

Another thing I found is that FBZ act 2 looks a bit like Sky Base Zone from Sonic 1 SMS/GG. A base in the sky, with a dark and cloudy background, electric hazards...

5. Toothpick

Toothpick

There's no doubt in my mind that Sega will allow Christian Whitehead to spearhead another 2D Sonic game. While I loved the remixed classic levels in Sonic Mania, I hope the next 2D Sonic game they develop will contain all original levels throughout. Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon Zone were my favorite levels in the game, so I can only imagine how awesome an entire game's worth of levels like those would be. That being said, I probably wouldn't call the next 2D Sonic game "Sonic Mania 2" unless they still intend to remix more classic levels. It wouldn't be a big problem to me personally, but it probably wouldn't fly with most others wanting an all-original 2D Sonic game.

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    This kind of cinches it in my mind. The four mini-bosses that Eggman's ghostly hands can take you to at the end of TM Act 2 _had_ to have been intended for something else, right? It just doesn't make sense to design four entire, damagable bosses with their own art assets and gimmicks, and make them undefeatable sub-attacks.

My guess is that at one time, perhaps each of the four paths you go down to unlock the finale of Titanic Monarch had a revamped HBH fight at the end.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    There's no plans for a physical release of Sonic Mania, so...

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    True. To their credit though I don't think they thought this game would do as well as it seems to be doing. I'm sure if a Mania 2 exists they'll opt for a physical release and maybe even bundle Mania 1 with it.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Fun anecdote for anyone who cares. I took Sonic Mania to a party of late 20s/early 30s. People fucking lost their shit. I saw this at PAX West last year, but to see it again with the released game fills me with what I can only describe as vicarious pride for the team. For all the nitpicks we're doing (and I'll go in more detail to these after I check the PC version), this is exactly what the franchise needed, and you guys brought it. I also discovered that when you are the competent player as Tails, you basically become a sherpa for Sonic in the game. It's a fun dynamic with confused drunk people.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    There is a certain joy to playing the game as Tails while a less experienced player plays as Sonic. You can see the game from another perspective and help them out of jams.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've been thinking about the "special controls" and... I think I may have come up with a possible solution to the problems/nitpicks I've read about them, while maintaining their simple one-button nature:

Sonic (On foot)
    • Button: Jump
    • Button + Up: Super Peel Out
    • Button + Down: Super Spindash
    Sonic (While airborne)
    • Button: Insta-shield / Shield attack
    • Button + Up: Call Tails (Tails automatically starts flying and tries to go where Sonic is, so that he can carry him around with Marble Garden boss controls)
    • Button + Down: Drop Dash (no need to hold the button, many button presses can charge it further)
    • Button, Button (double tap): Super transformation

Maybe?

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I'd prefer a different setup with a 2-button setup:

Sonic (On foot)
    A/B Button: Jump
    A/B Button + Up: Super Peel Out
    A/B Button + Down: Super Spindash
    C Button: Super transformation toggle (can be turned off!)

Sonic (While airborne)
    A/B Button: Insta-shield / Shield attack
    Up: Tails fly control toggle - Controls are like 1P Tails gameplay (can be turned off!)
    Down: Dropdash
    C Button: Super transformation toggle (can be turned off!)

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Oh man, being able to turn Super Sonic on the ground while STILL MOVING could look really awesome.

14. Burrobot

Burrobot

Just thought of a possible explanation regarding the lack of a Sonic & Tails level transition between Lava Reef Act 2 and Metallic Madness.

The two significant things seen in the background of Act 2 are Little Planet (Obviously, the next destination), and that enormous Beam Rocket-esque thing. Here's the thing: if you fly to the top of the boss arena before the battle is triggered to begin, you appear to be onboard an open section of the previously mentioned enormous Beam Rocket thing. It's clearly recognisable as the same structure from the hazard stripes and white metal.

So here's my little theory. Because Sonic ends the Act differently to Knuckles, his transition - presumably cut - would have had Sonic aboard the shuttle as Eggman used it to blast off to Little Planet. Why this instead of simply utilising the powers of the Phantom Ruby? Who knows. But it seems like the most logical explanation for both the seemingly-important background element, and Sonic's lack of a stage transition vs. Knuckles.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

15. Well I just had an odd glitch. While playing Super Sonic, the music somehow gave out, with nothing but the sound effects playing. Interestingly enough, I went to the title, still no music. I waited 'till the intro played, and it's music started but didn't stop when I exited out the FMV. 0_o

So I then hurried to GHZ and the FMV music continued to play over GHZ.

Then I got a fire shield, ran over the bridge, and while it burned, the game froze. :v:

16. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    I'm getting the vinyl from data-discs and I just checked the track list, and Friends isn't going to be on it. I might as well throw this album in the trash when it gets here. Fucking WHY?

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Friends was probably a late adittion, considering the opening with Tee Lopes is included with the game.

18. RibShark

RibShark

Similar thing happened to me. I was in Press Garden Act 1, and I got an extra life. After the 1-up music finished playing, instead of the Act music resuming, the Act complete music begun. Once that ended, there was nothing but sound effects. After a while, the game returned me to the Home Menu with an error message.

19. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Fun facts from my Hedgeblog posts.

[​IMG]

The wanted posters of Bark, Bean and Fang in Sonic Mania's Mirage Saloon Zone are all based on these 3D renders used for promotion in Sonic The Fighters.

[​IMG]

In Sonic Mania's Chemical Plant Zone Sonic can get stuck in purple goo platforms. His animation is based on Mighty The Armadillo's own wall-jump animation from Knuckles’ Chaotix.
    A similar animation was also found within the Sonic Crackers, the the Chaotix concept prototype.

20. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    I dunno, they were already working with Hyper Potions in May. Regardless of how valid their reasons are, I'm still gonna be salty about it.

Also, yeah I've had a handful of glitches with the music. Mostly after invincibility music ending, the music will pretty much turn off until I go to another zone or a special/bonus stage.