don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Burrobot

Burrobot

Thanks ApocalypticSalad, I wanted to find a screengrab but I couldn't locate a link. I wondered if it may be some kind of rocket to access the conquered Little Planet quickly (Or in an emergency, perhaps), or even if it was the new 'Metallic Madness Mk. II' of sorts, but neither seem particularly plausible.

While the background for Act 2 of Lava Reef is reminiscent of both the original concept for the zone and Quartz Quadrant, it seems clear that Robotnik is building something sinister, akin to the reconstruction site of Launch Base Zone. Perhaps it would have played a transitional role, tying in with the quantative cut sections of the level found in Debug mode?

Incidentally, this is my 20th post as a trial member. Assuming I don't get promoted to full member status, it's been cool hanging, discussing, and hypothesising with such a mature Sonic community. Thanks guys!

2. From where I'm sitting, you're only on 19 posts. I'd recommend making a 20th post at some point rather than disappearing forever, because that pings the mods to check your post history and (potentially) grant you full membership. They don't manually track every trial member before they hit the 20 post limit, which is completely understandable.

3. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    Anybody else find it strange that one of the Eggman boss themes plays during the Heavy King boss fight with Knuckles?

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe they just felt the music was more fitting? The Heavy king is a step above the others so it makes some sense.

5. Well guys, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to return my testicles to sender, seeing how I just unintentionally died in the Mean Bean Machine Boss fight. In keeping with tradition, does anyone know if that "fight" is made harder when you're playing as Knuckles? I was fucking about a bit more trying to get that 4 chain combo so maybe that did me in.

Anyone got any advice for that particular achievement?

6. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    If you stack puyos in an L shape on top of one another, 3-4 Chain combos are really easy to pull off. So something like

YR
    YG
    YY
    GG
    RG
    RR

It can be time consuming if you don't get the right colors, but it's the simplest way I know how to do it without thinking twelve steps ahead.

7. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Ugh, the Stupid Adventure 3 crowd. The guys who don't care about gameplay in a VIDEO GAME who just wants faux adult themes and watered down Michael Bay explosions. I could go on a whole tangent about them but what would be the point? Just tell them that Sonic Heroes was Sonic Adventure 3 (because it was) and leave them to their angry nonsense because anger produces nothing but more anger. They never think to play something else or to do as Freedom Planet and make their own game...Oh wait cause they only make garbage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGIz9Z7YfWQ

Yep, you really showed that shifting away from clumsy Shadow the Hedgehog storytelling was a bad thing. Maybe we should have Amy get knocked up in the next one while Sonic deals with hip replacement surgery.

Point is, Sonic Mania is an amazing game that even non-Sonic fans can acknowledge the quality. The fringe are just something to ignore.

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    So what's everyone's save file orders looking like at the moment? I'm only a small way through what I want my end-game save to look like, but I've gone for this.

FROM RIGHT TO LEFT (also, found the right-to-left thing refreshing - Mania does it again!)

• Sonic & Tails - All Emeralds
    • Sonic - All Emeralds
    • Tails - All Emeralds
    • Knuckles - All Emeralds
    • Sonic & Tails - No Emeralds
    • Sonic - No Emeralds
    • Tails - No Emeralds
    • Knuckles - No Emeralds

Basically a rehash of my old S3&K save. Although I'm waiting until after the 29th update before I start my no-emerald runs so I can see if anything's changed in the game - Adding the last Zone transitions being #1 on my wishlist.

9. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Wait what. Is this just speculation, or did I miss something?

10. I haven't been able to find anything, that's just the PC release date as far as I know.
    It does raise the question of whether the PC version will be the same game code as the current console versions, or if they're incorporating the bugfixes into its initial release?

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    So far mine's:
    - Sonic and Tails - All Emeralds
    - Knuckles - All Emeralds
    - Tails - Five Emeralds, Press Garden

And that's where it'll stay until the game lets me play Press Garden Act 2 as Tails.

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Where is your Tails & Knuckles Save?

13. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    If you missed it earlier, I mentioned that my Xbone didn't crash in the above scenario - although now I should try it without all emeralds to see if that really makes a difference.

14. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    So, any reason why the clearly-S&K-Green-Emerald Bonus Stage has a section that doesn't match the original? There's a goofy diagonal line of blue spheres that the original never had, and I'm almost positive (only seen in a stream; have to wait on PC version) from the rest of the layout that it's supposed to be the Green Emerald stage from Sonic & Knuckles (as I've already seen the other 15 from S3&K in the mix, and they're 1:1 copies).

If the idea is that half of the 32 Blue Sphere Bonus Stages are retro and half are new, then this might be an error with the map data... then again, it seems he did add in some rings to Sonic 3 Stage 8 (which never had any originally).

15. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I get that you're joking, but you can't use & Knuckles mode outside No Save mode. Otherwise, my second set of slots would all be Knuckles & Knuckles saves.

That stage was changed in order to fix the perfect bonus: in the original, you would start off with 0 rings remaining, but never got the perfect bonus because it triggers when you collect the last ring.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    My save files go like this (From Right to Left)

1. Sonic & Tails - Clear; All Chaos Emeralds
    2. Knuckles - Clear; All Chaos Emeralds
    3. Tails - Clear; All Chaos Emeralds
    4. Sonic - Clear; All Chaos Emeralds
    5. Sonic & Tails - Clear; No Chaos Emeralds
    6. Knuckles - Clear; No Chaos Emeralds
    7. Tails - GHZ
    8. Sonic - GHZ

The last two are basically just reserve slots. This is slightly different than my Sonic 3K system, where I gave 2 slots to Tails, 3 to Knuckles, and 3 to Sonic/Sonic & Tails. Since Tails couldn't turn Super without all 14 emeralds, a 7 emerald run as Tails was useless so he didn't get another save file. Knuckles and Sonic got 3 save files to have regular, Super, and Hyper files.

17. Gammatron

Gammatron

Yeah, idiots like the guys at IGN who say that "Sonic was never good" were forced to eat crow now that Sonic Mania is a thing, but everyone who is saying that "the Sonic Cycle is officially over!" are also wrong. Taxman, Stealth and Pagoda West are not making all Sonic games now. They just made one. And given Mania's success, they will probably make more. But Sonic Forces is still Sonic Team and they have a spotty record. Sonic Team is also not complete crap because they have made decent games semi-recently such as Colors and Generations, but then they can still make a game like Lost World.

I've also heard a decent amount of people say they'd like to see Christian Whitehead's take on a 3D Sonic game. While I agree that would be interesting, I'd rather the Mania devs stick to 2D for a while. I would say that Taxman and Stealth probably know how to make a 2D Sonic game better than anyone else in the entire world right about now. And part of the reason why is because these guys have spent the past 20 years with a laser-beam focus on making 2D Sonic games. As far as 3D AAA games go, they're totally untested. I feel like it would be better for these guys to play to their strengths.

18. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Oh yeah shit, sorry that might just be wishful thinking on my part, or making assumptions based on tweets. either way I'm gonna hold out in case anything does get updated in the next few weeks.

19. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Trying for it, I got it first try.

https://www.trueachievements.com/gameclip.aspx?clipid=77433972

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpzIb6k2ztA&t=0s

This man has like rainman powers or something.