don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    What if someone wants to replace all the level music with Amy's theme from Sonic Adventure? Better add an option for that too.

And that's what I don't like about Sonic 3 Complete.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Wes Weasely sorta cameo'd on the new Cartoon Network show OK K.O.. As in the voice actor voiced a character who shows up for like 20 secs and did the exact same voice for him: https://twitter.com/ItTimmit/status/896765148190343169

Not sure if it's intentional but since the show's creator is a Sonic fan (who even animated a couple of shots of the Sonic Mania opening) I can imagine it being.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I would say that there's a difference between adding random features like Amy's theme, and not assuming that one size fits all when establishing the available options.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yours for just shy of €800

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/272808970022?rmvSB=true

Apparently it's an official Sonic style guide from 1997. It comes in a fluffy blue Sega Saturn case.

I have no idea how legitimate it is, but there you go.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Something from the Sonic 2 manual:
    Are there any leftovers of such a thing in the code?

6. RibShark

RibShark

One thing I've noticed about the Sonic Mega Collection (Plus) version of Sonic 1 (at least the JP2/REVXB version of it) is that by enabling the debug mode code, level select is also automatically enabled. Even if you obtain the ROM from Sonic Mega Collection and play it in another emulator, this won't work and you have to input both codes separately. Is this simply an inaccuracy of the emulator or did they do this deliberately somehow?

7. Pengi

Pengi

[​IMG]

Tornado information from the Sonic Adventure DX guide (the Shogakukan one, not the Soft Bank one). Does anyone here own this book? The cover has Sonic and Chaos 0, same as the game box art.

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Yes, I have it. But I don't have a scanner any more. Although I posted some scans back on TheGHZ back when it first came out.
    It didn't really have anything interesting (I might be misremembering, but there was none of the story content from the DC one or if there was it was shortened).

In fact most of the Gamecube era books lacked interesting material (The Riders one has some concept art, but it's very bland). The GBA ones gave arts and names for the badnicks, but that was it.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've just realized that, even for Sonic 3, Knuckles has always been red, after all. Thing is...
    He used to be Rhodamine Red... which looks pink, basically. :eng101:

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean if the style guide is wrong though is that really right :v:

Shit eating smirk should have stuck as a definable character trait.

11. RibShark

RibShark

The Sonic 1 ROM contained in Mega Games 10 has the "Press Start Button" text actually showing up. I checked to see whether the menu had anything to do with it by attempting to make a standalone ROM, and the "Press Start Button" text still appears! (Sidenote: I tried to get the standalone ROM to work with Kega Fusion at first to no avail, but it works fine on Genesis Plus GX. I guess there's something not right about the standalone ROM but I'm not experienced enough to know what). Otherwise, through playing it, it seems identical to REV00, but I haven't checked particularly thoroughly. Maybe this is worth checking out, as it does appear to be a new revision of Sonic 1.

12. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Very interesting! Unfortunately, this looks to be the only noteworthy change in the game. It even suffers from the same bug as Sonic Classics/Compilation, where SBZ Act 1's background uses the wrong palette cycle colours (a result of the game's location on the larger cartridge, not an actual change in the game's code).

I've picked apart the changes in a hex editor, and managed to replicate them in an S1 disassembly. It appears they only changed five things:

• They removed the ErrorTrap code
    • They removed the checksum code from the init routine
    • They changed the DAC driver loader to patch the SEGA chant ROM bank number, since the driver itself still uses the old one from the original game
    • They fixed the Press Start Button (badly: the real way would have been to correct the RAM clear counter to clear $40 bytes of RAM, instead they tacked-on another instruction to clear only a single byte of memory - the object's 'routine' value)
    • They shuffled the RAM around a little, likely for compatibility with the 10-in-1's menu

If it's any reassurance, the changes were quite clearly made with a copy of the original source code, unlike the "REVXB" one in Mega Collection (which looked hex-edited). Why they used the outdated build, I have no idea. This wasn't considered its own build, however: the internal header still refers to the game as REV00.

13. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Can't remember if this was mentioned before but some PAL copies of Sonic & Knuckles seem to use a different layout for the instruction manual. This copy uses the more traditional layout as opposed to vertical layout posted on the wiki.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192286274269

14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I remember this! (I bought it). I've never checked if calling Knuckles "Rastafari" was some pre-release thing or the people at the magazine put him their own name to fill the gap.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    My two European copies have that kind of manual, the vertical one may be UK-only.

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    The UK copy my friend got on release back in '94 definitely had the traditional horizontal style manual - I bought a chunk of his games off him in the late 90s so am pretty familiar with it. Wasn't even aware there was another style floating around until I read this! The game boxes went missing in a move annoyingly enough, but think I still have the manuals somewhere - should I try scanning it if I can find it?

17. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Everything is worth salvaging as our resident Wiki sysop is sure to remind you at every opportunity ever. Posterity's sake and all that.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yes the one on the wiki is a (partial) UK manual scan. We don't have the pan-Euro one.

We always need scans. Of everything.

This looks like an opportunity to remind you.

19. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    I hope this isn't Off topic... So it look's like "G-CUBE" was indeed one of the names proposed for the Dreamcast as described here... and proof can be found in this archived Yuji Naka Diary of Sonic Team's (Old) web page in the post dated "2000/08/24" is written in Japanese but a (not so good) translation made with google translator it's sufficient to understand it... another thing that surprised me was the awesome Sonic Golf Bag that was first presented that day by Naka to his Sega collegues during a golf match.In the post he mentions that they would soon be put up for sale, this can be found on the second page of the post dated "2000-07-22"... i don't know if this was already known...

PS: to view just click in the big colored japanese logo in that page to access the diary...

20. Pengi

Pengi

Useless trivia - in SegaSonic the Hedgehog, Sonic doesn't have buckles on his shoes, also they're a brighter shade of red than Mighty and Ray's shoes.