don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    You mean the same community that has uncovered literally everything about sonic xtreme within the last two years, including that tiara bobowski clip?

2. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Wait, I see that people using debug mode and placing giant rings can access special stages... when I place those rings, all I get is 50 rings. What am I doing wrong ?

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Uh... I haven't heard of that happening to anyone, unless of course you've already collected all the emeralds on what -should be- your current No Save run, since that -should be- the only way to access debug. What console are you playing on?

4. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I only collected the emeralds on my saved games. I'm playing on PS4.

5. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Same for me. Gives me 50 rings on the No Save, even in Green Hill. My brother speculated it may be because I have a file with all the emeralds, but then mentioned on Switch he went to a Special Stage instead.

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I bought the game on PS4 just to play it three hours early, but I never collected the emeralds, and redeemed my CE Switch version when it came the next day. Can other people on PS4 confirm or deny that this is happening to them? If so, that's a bit of a shame. Debug mode is the only way to easily practice the special stages, since level select just takes you to the first one.

7. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Yeah, I'd love to be able to beat the special stages again, without going all the way in the levels.
    I'd love to have an option to play them like you can play Blue Spheres and MBM.

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm on PS4 and it's only ever given me 50 rings, even when I can't go super.

By the way guys, Stealth is streaming Mania in 3 hours. I don't know if he will archive the stream, so can someone watch it and make notes on anything of interest :v:

https://www.youtube.com/user/OCStealth?&ab_channel=Stealth

9. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    The old speed caps brought your speed down to a set value, however fast you were going. I think what you're describing is the extra air drag at the peak of your jump, which has always been there. The only way to avoid it is by bumping into a ceiling.

No, it's not a glitch, it's a feature. The reason Knuckles can't do that in Sonic Mania or the mobile remakes is probably because Stealth based the code off his disassembly of the Knuckles object from Knuckles in Sonic 2, where he can't do it either.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

In S1/S2 mobile, you can try different special stages by playing different tracks in the sound test on the level select menu. I would expect it works similarly in Mania.

EDIT: Nope. Doesn't work. That's a shame

11. H Hog

H Hog

The Ultimate Oswald! Oldbie
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
    I know you're supposed to be able to break them with a Fire Shield dash (which is also the way to unlock an achievement), but AFAIK there's no way to get one right at the start of the level where the item box is. It's been vexing me as well.
    (EDIT: Aw jeez, I keep making replies while I'm not on the last page yet. Hm, I'll have a search for that bubble shield then.)

12. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Even with the Blue Sphere option in the Extras, you're only playing the randomly generated levels.

I mentioned this earlier in another post, but I would love if they added an option to play both the Special and Bonus stage in Time Attack.

Though my dream way would be to make a 5 lap time trial for the Special stage, as I can consistently can catch the UFO within the first 2-3 laps.

13. Koop

Koop

NYC
    Yeah I feel like every Youtube gamer/personality related to gaming has talked about Sonic Mania at this point. Usually it's the same boring 3D was was bad blag blag now Sonic Mania is back to bring back the glory.... I may not agree with the opinions of all the YT guys out there seeing how I am an old fart who actually enjoyed SA1 and 2 as well as the genesis games- but regardless the amount of positive attention Mania is getting is amazing. I can only hope this catapults us to seeing more of it and/or more like it.

I'd also like to actually see Adventure 3 but maybe I need to wait as long as the gap of Genesis -> Mania for that? :rolleyes:

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Question about the Metal Sonic fight: I know when Silver Sonic ducks, he's about to charge up a Spindash, but I can never figure out if he's going to jump, or roll then jump. Does he have a tell? That's the only part of the boss I have trouble with.

15. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I believe he alternates, so its the same pattern. Though the best way I found is just to do a single rev spindash and attack him when he spawns from the machine and starts his spindash (It will always hit Metal Sonic). If he is not charging a spindash, just kill it and try again with the next one.

16. Vangar

Vangar

No Sonic game would be a Sonic game without rushed deadlines and tonnes of unused concepts and work! That's been happening since... every Sonic game!

After playing it through a few times some things become clear to me (My Theory)

The heavies were simple badniks tasked with removing the ruby for Eggman. When the got ahold of the gem, their counterparts were pulled into existance as the "Hard Boiled Heavies", smarter robots with more drive for world domination.

Eggman was able to take the gem from them after meeting up in act 2, and use it against Sonic a few times. However I believe the heavies at this point wen't working for eggman but instead were chasing both Sonic & Eggman for the gem. Eggman had the gem and he had his own machines to stop Sonic, and the hard boiled heavies were left to their own devices.

As the Heavies were being destroyed, they were being repurposed /reprogrammed by Eggman ( only 2 of them are seen this way in the pre-final boss)

I have a strong feeling there's a missing cutscene or two that would explain the heavies joining up to create the final boss using the gem after they retake it from eggman after the pre-final boss.

17. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    unless you're super, then it will overshoot.

18. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

So I've cleared the game as Sonic and as Knuckles, got all seven emeralds and have a serious nitpick with the super transformations. Sonic doesn't go super when he has a shield after 50 rings, but Knuckles will go super regardless. Considering Knuckles has a lower jump height and needs to glide to climb up the walls, this can be a death sentence if you aren't watching your ring count as the super transformation leaves you in a "helpless" state the doesn't allow the aerial action like the other classics. Haven't gotten the emeralds as Tails yet and I have no idea how his behavior is.

This is an inconsistency that makes me wonder why there isn't a dedicated super transform button, something even Sonic 4 had. The Switch has 4 buttons dedicated to jumping for example, surely one of them could be dedicated to triggering the Super Form if the player isn't ready or allows them to bypass the shield block for Sonic if they don't want to lose the their shield? It would also be useful for powering down, and there are moments where you'll want to power down during some boss fights so you have at least one ring for the ones that drag out.

19. Deef

Deef

Can you describe where I could see this air drag in Sonic 3? From Sonic 3 I never noticed any slowing down. If it's in there I've missed it for decades, while I noticed this speed reduction in Mania pretty much straight away.

Got any source on its non-glitch status? Its absence in Sonic 2 is actually why I always felt it must be a glitch; it's either present by mistake in S&K or absent by mistake in S2, and only one of those options is easily abused. I think it's unlikely also that Taxman et al simply missed a part of Knuckles' control. I'd like that to be the case, then I could make a stronger argument for it to be returned.

Either way, it'd be really good if they could put it back into Knuckles' moves.

20. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    EveryTime I try to upload my time attack scores to the leader board it crashes on PS4. Anyone know what's going on?