don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm going to throw in something I find eye-rolling but no one else will probably care about.

The only female heavies are Heavy Magician and Heavy Rider, which is fine, but they are both stereotypically yellow and pink respectively :v: .

Meanwhile, the dudes are red, blue and green xD

I would say though it's interesting that, aside from the gender signified colouring, it's hard to tell the heavies even have genders. I wouldn't have known that Magician and Rider were female if no one mentioned it.

2. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Personally don't know if this has been mentioned yet (trying to avoid spoilers, sorry), but I Ran into a huge bug at the Boss in Press Garden Act 2. It allowed me to go to the Capsule early, and hit it, but since the boss was still going, it froze me in an ice cube and wouldn't let me start the cutscene with Eggman. I also couldn't break out of the cube because it locked my controls, forcing a manual reset.

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    That happened to me in my first playthrough, but somehow I didn't get frozen and the cutscene continued as normal.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well that and the fact that they're gendered at all. They're robots so technically they're nothing. But ya idk how they'd keep the general eggrobo design while distinguishing the genders other than by making them certain colors.

And is yellow a girl color? Just seems like a color. I thought the magician one was a guy, and only knew the purple one was a female due to the guide excerpt.

5. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    At first they were hard but now after playing the DAMN 5th Stage so many times I became good at it. The trick really is to use the Jump as a drift.

6. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Lol why would robots even need genders?

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Well no one apart from me cares about virtual plumbing being correct so I guess we're just going to have to sulk in our little corners. :specialed:

8. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Heavy Magician is orange though

9. I had a similar issue. It essentially let me skip the Press Garden Act 2 boss. I was frozen during the cut scene so it wouldn't advance to the next level, but when I reset the game and loaded my save file it picked right up at the next zone as if I'd beaten the boss.

10. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I hadn't noticed they had genders, either. But given that particular color scheme, they've gotta be referencing another 90's phenomenon.

[​IMG]

Heavy Shinobi's green coloring and weapons had already reminded me of Shurikenger, so I'm kind of surprised I didn't make the connection until now.

11. Modern

Modern

what tu hecc is modern! Member
    So apparently if the goal post spawns a ring monitor in stardust speedway act 1 it can softlock the game:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I think what bothers me so much about the special stages is that there's two ways to lose, when every other one before this has had only one. In Sonic 1, it was hitting the goal orbs. Sonic 2, it was not having enough rings. Sonic 3 & Knuckles, it was hitting red spheres. Here, there's two. Running out of rings/time, or falling off the stage. I feel like with the way they control, the falling off the stage seems more unfair of the two. Especially because I've gone off a ramp in Stage 7 and immediately after I landed, ran into a pit, because I didn't have time to react.

13. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    I tried waiting idle for 3 minutes in hopes of some idle trickery but sadly nothing happens. I REALLY wanted a game over.

14. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    To be fair, Knuckles Chaotix's special stages contain a few ways to lose too. I can't seem to beat the fourth stage myself, I keep running into bombs. :v:

15. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Whoops. I haven't actually seriously sat down and played Knuckles Chaotix, so I didn't know that.

16. To be entirely fair, a lot haven't. It's fine the game isn't that good LOL. Seeing as I have played it though, I recognized that the subs in Oil Ocean are actually straight out of Marina Madness with slight visual changes and different functionality. There's a lot of little Chaotix nods in this game when appropriate.

17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Wooooah, the subs _are_ from Marina Madness! Other Chaotix nods include...

• The device Metal Sonic plugs into to spawn Silver Sonic is straight from the penultimate boss.
    • Sonic's pose when sticking to purple sludge in Chemical Plant resembles Mighty's wall kick animation.
    • The ring loss in the special stages works the same way in Chaotix, except there you start with whatever number of rings you had in the stage.

Oh, AND there are references to Sonic Advance (the circular dishes in Studiopolis, complete with the same sound effect) and Rush (the vines that fling you upward in Stardust Speedway). Just making a list of all the nods in this game is going to be exhausting.

That reminds me, I love the animation, but does anyone quite "get" where the purple drop at the start of Chemical Plant is supposed to come from? I assume it's the purple liquid from act 2, but why's it fall down -then-? When I first played it, I thought it might be foreshadowing a toxic thunderstorm of sorts in act 2.

18. I myself like to think that it's Eggman driving by and plopping your character with goo offscreen. Either that or a drop that scattered based on the time warp and how everything kinda fades in. One or the other =P.

19. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Will have to look into that in a minute. Had a bad cold last night, basically beat Flying Battery and Press Garden, got stuck, turned it off and went to bed. Currently the Xbox's Kinect crashed (no kidding), so have both unplugged for a minute and going to do a cold boot in a second.

The awesome thing is that I accidentally got two copies of the collector's edition. I originally ordered PC, learned it was delayed, cancelled my old order, and ordered for Xbox One. They shipped the PC version anyways, and as I already paid for it, I wasn't too bent out of shape about the money. Keeping both copies of the game, but thinking about giving the extra set of feelies to my older sister.

20. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    An excuse to use an animation brought over from spinball just because