don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Noticed the spoiler post that was posted around 3.00am last night so I have been a little spoiled on a particular zone. :(

Nothing major though, just a name. Could you console guys that have completed the game be more careful? In other news saw a Sonic Mania torrent last night also and got really excited thinking the game had leaked since it was the correct file size and everything - but it turned out to be fake. As expected I guess. Sega and the Sonic Mania team already have my money since I've pre-ordered on Steam. Ended up not requesting a refund.

My Xbox One contingency plan has also been delayed - as in it looks like the massive amount of money coming in that'd allow me to afford a console won't be for a week or two and the PC release will happen around then anyway. So it looks like I'm in the same boat as the rest of you guys waiting for this on PC.

Honestly the hardest part of all this is just evading spoilers. How are the rest of you guys coping?

EDIT: Just checked the Trash thread and it looks like the spoiler guy was suspended for a week. Justice! :)

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I very nearly posted a spoiler in this thread by accident because of this:

[​IMG]

Would it be possible to put [NO SPOILERS] and [YES SPOILERS] (or something similar) at the start of the thread titles to make it more visible to those of us with too many tabs open?

3. Not bad, pretty good at staying away from spoilers. Have learnt the fine art via staying away from Blade Runner 2049 marketing until release.

Wanna be fresh. Not hyping myself up too much, although expecting greatness!

In a selfish way it was kinda good it wasn't released this week as I had to prepare a gig for a wedding, the new date will have my full attention - no work, beer, junk food - bang

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I... just... don't avoid spoilers. :v:
    My only real source of spoilers is the spoilerfest of the other thread, and I don't click on links for streams, reviews or anything else, so, besides some screenshots, all spoilers I've got have been text-only. I needed and even asked some of them just to calm down my major thrills, but, in many cases, it may have been a bad idea, not because the loss of surprise, but because my impressions will be kinda biased thanks to what I know now.

The worst things is noticing others can play and me not, because that makes the game real but out of reach. That's the hardest part of the wait, along with the risk of bias mentioned earlier. It's easier some days, depending on where's my attention, but I can't get Sonic out of my head right now.

Speaking of which, my head's been bursting with ideas for new fan games, and made me be hyped for Mania in a new way, as I want to play it to draw inspiration from it. Oh, my... So many projects, and such a little time to make them real...

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I actually wish I was still in your guys shoes, I really miss looking forward to it like a madman, having dreams about levels! I'm not done with it by any means but I keep popping into this thread feeling actually rather envious.

I feel so bad when people say they have been spoiled!! There's so many incredible things I am so happy were surprises. The things I had seen before didn't nearly as much capture my heart as those new. Really hope everyone here gets those same feelings.

If it helps anyone at all, the name of the spoiled level really doesn't tell you anything so you can wipe any 'oh so it's going to be like that?' guesses away:)

6. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    A bit of a heads up, but one of GameXplain's recent videos that's about the level select/sound test screen kind of spoils two zones that wasn't announced before release. Thankfully they use the Sound test icon that blocks the other half. I've been trying to avoid watching anything Sonic related on YouTube so I don't run the risk of a potential spoiler popping up on the side or after a video is over with. So far the only Sonic Mania videos I've seen pop up have been GameXplain's since I'm subscribed to them. But besides mentioned above, all their other Sonic Mania videos have non-spoilery thumbnails.

EDIT: I dunno how much it helps, but you might wanna delete your video history on YouTube too, just in case.

7. Koop

Koop

NYC
    I would be very careful browsing Youtube at all as it has and continues to be full of spoilers (even since before release). If you watch anything Sonic related you are bound to get reccomendations for more Sonic related videos and will most likely end up seeing a thumbnail or video title that spoils stuff right out the gate. This same stuff actually happened with Persona 5 as well... Be safe patient PC players! I'd frankly avoid Youtube altogether or download a chrome addon to block videos with keywords.

8. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Try the SFC30? It has an excellent dpad, costs $35 or less depending where you purchase it, and compatible on a lot of devices including the Nintendo Switch. I plan to use that controller on my friend's Switch tomorrow when I try that version of Sonic Mania. I love using it for Sonic CD and S3&K, so I should love using it with Sonic Mania as well.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Is it just me or does the final hit in the drowning music lack some punch, as if an additional higher-pitched instrument should play on top of everything else?

EDIT: Oh ok, maybe it's based on Sonic 1's soundtrack rather than Sonic 3's.

10. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    What about the NES30 Pro? Some guy here in Argentina is selling the original, and I kinda prefer it because of the analog sticks (so I can also play modern games). Is there any difference aside from the sticks?

11. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Do you have a recommended video blocker? I've tried several, but can't seem to get them to work. Thanks!

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Reviews indicated the SNES30 / SFC30 has a nicer dpad than the NES30 Pro and the upcoming SNES30 Pro / SFC30 Pro looks like their best controller yet.

[​IMG]

13. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the lack of diagonal on the D-pad an issue? Tomorrow is my Mania playdate, so I need to figure out what controller I'm getting for my Switch fast. At the moment, my plan was just to get the Switch pro-controller, but if someone has a better solution, that I can buy at say, Walmart, I'm all ears.

Also, that table is stunning. :v:

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    The pro controller has that same problem that the NES30 Pro has, actually. I wouldn't buy either of them. Remains to be seen if 8bitdo has fixed this issue on the SNES30 Pro or not, but I doubt it. Might not seem like a big deal for Sonic but accidental rolls are a little annoying.

Like I just mentioned in the other topic, the Pokken controller seems like the best bet for Switch players right now that absolutely need a D-Pad. I really like the D-Buttons on the joycons myself though.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You should look which topic you're posting in before you do, but fine =P Edited the thread title.

16. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Still in the "waiting on the PC release" boat which is set to sail in around 11 days from now. Tried my best to get an Xbox One but it's not looking like it's going to be possible prior to Mania's PC release date, so I think I might be better off just keeping my Steam pre-order and waiting for August 29. Doing well evading spoilers still however!

I think the chances of the PC release leaking before then are also quite slim. Word of warning but all the existing Sonic Mania torrents are complete fakes, and one in particular will reportedly fuck your computer (read that it's installation creates a .bat file in your start-up to automatically restart your computer) so be careful.

I think the most likely scenario is Mania reaches August 29 without leaking. Back to the waiting game I guess. :v:

17. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Gee, what a shame, I was about to buy it, in combination with the xtander.

And yeah, I did check some torrents, but they are all very similar to those avaliable since June, so they are obviously a fake. I still bought the game, don't mind me, it's just that I really want to play that game right now :P

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    It's a total drag, because it's very well made otherwise. Multiple people have been in touch with 8bitdo trying to get them to fix their PCB design and they don't seem to care.

19. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Anybody know if they're planning a CD release of the Mania OST? They did a vinyl release but I'm wondering if we can get a CD or Steam digital release.

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    So far, the only thing I've spoiled for myself was the Settings menu, since it's not related to level or story content. I really wanted to know what options we will have when the game launches on Steam.

Besides that, I'm avoiding any spoilers I can. A stray YouTube thumbnail spoiled something small for me, but it was still a thing I would have liked to be surprised by. :ohdear: That, and YouTube taking away the "Tell us why" feature on videos I click Not Interested on, it looks like I will have to get a video blocker.

That kills all of my interest in 8bitdo's products, then. Loose diagonal inputs frustrated me immensely on my generic USB controller, even though I'm not terribly OCD about controllers in general. It caused a lot of unintended ground cyclones in Freedom Planet, and usually goofed up command inputs on fighting games. I will not (knowingly) buy a controller with this sort of issue.

I love the strict diagonal movements on my iBuffalo SNES replica, so, looks I'll be sticking to what I have, especially for Mania.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.