don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. That'll be awesome! No reason why it can't also be done with the console versions and an HDMI to composite converter though, right?

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-

OK Tee Lopes need to finish his remix!

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Modern consoles cant output 640x480 at 4:3. A converter like you describe will letterbox.

4. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    I actually like these ideas together. Removing the time limit for the stage, but having one for the boss battle, where the player only has _ minutes to beat the boss. It's sort of reminiscent of NiGHTS Scoring System. A time limit during the boss seems more reasonable considering it's the only thing you really have to bother with at the moment, and should you take too long, instead of dying, the boss simply runs away and you lose. Maybe don't make it strict, but make it feel like it is.

5. Do we even know if the PC version will be able to output at 4:3? I figured it would be wide-screen only, considering that a narrower aspect ratio could affect how camera locking and boss arenas work, among other things. If it does work at 4:3, at the very least you'll lose part of the sides of the image, meaning you'll have less time to react to enemies and obstacles.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It works at 4:3, Taxman already said it does.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe a special option with no time limit and unlimited lives, to keep everyone happy...

"Roaming mode" or something. =P

8. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Random thought... I wonder if anything happens if you beat all the Hard Boiled Heavies during the Final Boss? Like, you can damage them all in their fights, and so long as you don't finish Eggman off (He's piss-easy to dodge once you get rid of 2 of the tentacles) you can take them on again and again so long as time allows it. Anyone tried that?

9. Oh, I must have missed that, then. I wonder how this will affect gameplay. Will boss fights that happen with a locked camera scroll? That could be a problem in FBZ's boss, where the spikes that hurt the boss are so close to the edge of the screen and you attack from the opposite side. What about cutscenes such as the one in GHZ act 2, which has characters near both sides of the screen? Guess I'll have to wait and see...

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Just tried it with Super Knuckles. They don't die no matter how often you hit them. You just fade out of the area.

Anyone else find it interesting how the heavies all seem to survive? We don't see anyone explicitly destroyed, do we? Wonder if that was left open for something in the future.

11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I was having trouble with Special Stage 5 and decided to try this sparingly just to keep up with the UFO near the beginning. Instead of pulling it off successfully, I ended up winning because the UFO turned around and came back directly toward me. Based on this, I assume the UFO isn't actually trying to find a path away from you, it's just trying to go in the same direction that you are so if it thinks you turned around then it switches direction too.

Like others have mentioned, Stages 6 and 7 seemed easier and I was able to play those normally without a lot of tries like 5 was.

12. Koop

Koop

NYC
    Does anyone have any idea what the lyrics are in Metallic Madness Zone Act 1 and 2 tracks? Someone needs to mess with these tracks, I am so curious.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-

OMG hahahahahahahha

14. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Same thing happens if you play Egg Reverie as Knuckles using the level select screen.

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Best part is it using music from Knuckles Chaotix, lol.

16. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Why remove the time limit when you can just restart the stage?

Plenty of times I've reached 9 mins while exploring and wanted to explore more, I just restarted the stage and took a minute or two to go back to where I was.

Then I realized, "why do i care about time over when I'm just trying to explore a stage???" and i started eating the deaths and starting the level back over from the last sign post.

And this was all still before I unlocked debug. Once I unlocked debug, I just used it to further help me explore the stage.

I'm not understanding the complaints. Or rather I can't personally empathize with the desire to remove the Time Over when its there for a reason. It's an additional obstacle in terms of completing the stage. ICE was being passive aggressive, but he still has a point. Even if the larger levels feel at odds with the time limit (which to me they don't), I don't think it's worth trying to inherently make the game easier just for the sake of scratching your itch. I try to keep my eye on the timer at all times. If I notice I'm at like 8-9 mins, I stop my goofing off and finish the stage if I don't want to lose a live. Else I just eat the death and keep running around like an idiot. The game is already extremely generous with it's lives lol.

17. Retroman

Retroman

Recently bought the Nintendo Switch version, but have yet to play it.
    Curiously, are there any hints of any new features for the PC release less than 2 weeks away?

18. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

No, but you can count on mods happening. Modding on PC is going to keep this game alive forever. Just look at what it did for Generations.

19. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    That's so weird. Literally all 4 of them would be perfectly serviceable mini bosses, and they give you the means to attack them despite it not mattering at all. Hitting them doesn't even speed up the time you're in their 'dimension'.

20. Felik

Felik

Or look at all the Sonic CD mods, game that was actually built with the same engine.