don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't get why Super Sonic doesn't have a complete sprite set seeing as how the rest of the game has so many sprites/animations for the characters.

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Slightly disappointed that changing the game language to + - Japanese doesn't change Tails' name to Miles.  

3. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

There's gotta be a Miles cheat somewhere. Maybe in the sound test.

4. H Hog

H Hog

The Ultimate Oswald! Oldbie
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Sonic and the Rings of Order (Artwork)
    Y'know, for all the examples on genre shifts you're giving, most of those are still actual skill-based. If you want a real example of a bad genre shift, there's always this malarkey:

[​IMG]

With all the love I have for Alex Kidd, I still can't defend the choice to put a luck-based boss fight in an action game (regardless if all the bosses have a set pattern anyway).

I got a continue from a bonus stage in No-Save mode, think that's the only way to currently collect any.

5. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I think there's a secret ending if you go into the level select and fight Egg Reverie as Knuckles.

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Are conveyance complaints for bosses only? Oil ocean 1 boss was the only time I messed up with some unfair unknown hazard. The rest seemed fine to me in my playthrough especially in levels. I can get why the OO2 boss would mess people up! I just got lucky. I'd like to see any examples of this in levels because it feels like people think it's Manias biggest issue? I guess I missed it all.

Anyway - I just played TMZ again to make sure I really 'got good' and oh boy yes I did. It's more of a breeze now and it's a nice reflection on something which stressed me the hell out at first (in the best way).

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Funny about Oil Ocean 1's boss. It was such a push over I have only encountered his attack once so far.

8. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    https://www.trueachievements.com/gameclip.aspx?clipid=77040370

So, I managed to get wedged in Studiopolis....

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I also encountered some weird glitches, such as Press Garden's music stopping and getting stuck in a pipe after Chemical Plants Boss.

But Mania is unusual for a Sonic game in that its really glitchy but still awesome xD

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not that it's an excuse, but even the classics were riddled with bugs. Just means Robotnik's set up his deadly speed traps again :specialed:

Difference is now though there's a chance to fix them post launch, so that's good.

11. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    I have yet to actually see what the OOZ boss does other than throw a wrench at you. Seems like the only boss in the game that you can just spam attack to death.

12. This game is fucking fantastic. The honeymoon phase is over so I have my nitpicks, but they're so minor I don't even care to lay them out. The game is perfection in my book because just before June 2016, I could not imagine in my wildest dreams that we'd get such an authentic classic Sonic game.

I bought two downloads and bought 7 friends their downloads as well. If you've got any spare money, share the love!

13. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I know squishing all the bugs is a difficult thing to do, so I wish they would add an option to restart from the last checkpoint instead of restarting the level entirely.

14. I was going to post my thoughts on Mania, but:
    It looks like you and I share the same opinion on just about everything! I really enjoyed your post and I agree with you all the way. I can't say the less original stuff like Hydrocity Act 2 and Oil Ocean Act 1 bothered me, but I do get where you're coming from. In truth, there are very few things that irk me, but you've already covered them much better than I could.

Regarding the super transformations and how to avoid doing them, I'm quite partial to the idea of pressing the alternate jump button in mid-air, but I get the feeling the developers wanted to keep the gameplay entirely restricted to a single button (Mean Bean notwithstanding). If that's the case, I'd like to suggest a mid-air Down + Jump combination, kinda like the Tails assist (not like you can spin dash in the air anyway). This is actually my only real disappointment with Mania, since I thought for sure this age-old issue would have been dealt with here. Oh well, it's given me an excuse to replay the game a fourth time, this time doing a no-emeralds run.

Speaking of which, I posted a while ago that one of my biggest wishes for Mania was good flow, and it definitely delivered on that front. Now that I don't have to bother with the emeralds or medals anymore (I haven't gotten all the gold medals yet, but I don't think I can look at Blue Sphere ever again), playing through the game feels even more fun, because now I can just move at my own pace with no interruptions. I can explore and take alternate paths when I like (Flying Battery Act 2 seems particularly different depending on which route you choose at the beginning), but I can also just have fun blazing through everything. I love it when a game lets you do things your way, and it's a big reason why I've always loved the classic Sonic stuff.

I love the little things too. Besides the countless references and tributes, one of my favorite things about Mania is how it messes with your expectations and deconstructs several Sonic tropes we've all taken for granted. I'm talking about stuff like Eggman appearing not just as the boss for Act 2, but sometimes Act 1 as well, and sometimes not even at all! The reversal of roles in Hydrocity's mini-boss was ingenious and pretty cathartic, not to mention humorous. Speaking of humorous, Knuckles's reaction to the Lava Reef boss was so great... I also liked how Oil Ocean and Metallic Madness, two levels I disliked previously, surprised me with how inventive and fun they are now (the awesome remixes help too, particularly Metallic Madness Act 1). It felt great to see my instinct validated when I tried to find an oil pool as soon as I got the fire barrier.

Mania is superb. My first playthrough made me feel like a kid again (staying away from spoilers was definitely worth it), and it's really hard to put the game down. I have to echo everyone's congratulations to the team, because right now I feel like this is a game I will remember and want to replay many times in my life, much like the other classic Sonic titles before it. It might even be my favorite one yet.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot... I'm sure this has been mentioned by now, but Tails always seems to wander off somewhere when I get to Oil Ocean Act 2 as Sonic & Tails. He reappears if I lose a life or enter a Special/Bonus Stage, though. He's also really lousy at getting inside the handgun during the transition between Mirage Saloon and Oil Ocean (it doesn't affect anything, but it looks weird because you can see him in the distance with Sonic after the gun fires).

15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I've been thinking about the longer levels like Titanic Monarch and in all honesty... what is the point of Time Over and why is it still in the game? I get for the sake of nostalgia throwbacks, but honestly, that's the one thing I would be fine with them getting rid of. I think maybe if there was an option to disable the Time Over like in the Advance games, that'd be pretty cool.

16. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

I don't get why this was surprising to some players. This is the very first thing that boss does and it's not like the tentacles are hard to see.

Even if I didn't know that they'd drag the platforms down, my first instinct would be to get away from them, though I agree that dying while on top of them shouldn't be a thing.

That's surprising! Are there any other post classic series references beyond this and Unknown from ME?

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Haha I keep seeing/reading this:

"Sonic moves are the same, but the physics have been tightened up - he's now a tiny bit faster and a jumps a tiny bit higher etc etc" ...man, I like the enthusiasm but people making reviews just want to make up things to say it seems, trying to sound as if they have a really deeper understanding of it all. Reminds me of the whole "it now runs in a smooth 60fps compared to the genesis originals" thing.

Oh well. Good is good even if it's false, ey.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, in someways it could be considered true if they haven't played a Sonic game since Sonic 1 or 2, which had various speed caps whether on the ground or in the air. Having more speed while going off a ramp or hill allows you to go higher as well. So it's not completely false, same with the smoothness line as while the originals might have been 60 fps they also experienced lag here and there where as this seems to be pretty solid throughout.

EDIT: On a completely different note, here's DarkSpinesSonic doing what he does best and fucking ruining the game within .5 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z1Hjtklq60

How does he find this stuff? Oh and make no mistake he beats every special stage in these 2:14. It literally takes him 5 seconds to beat any special stage now.

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    With how many people from the community contributed to this game I'm surprised they forgot to get him as a tester. :v:

20. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    The "Sonic is now faster" thing is probably a consequence of the game having no speed cap, unlike Sonic 1 and 2. The jump thing is definitely placebo effect though.

And Sonic 1/2 have massive lag issues, Sonic 1 especially. Mania being a smooth 60fps all the time actually is a selling point compared to those games.