don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This seems like it'd be more of a feature than a glitch.

2. null1024

null1024

That one appears to be deliberate, they're basically markers for invisible walls.
    On the other hand, why is there no collision on the 3D objects (like the pillars)? There's every reason for them to just bounce you away like a bumper collision.

3. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    I'd guess because they're in the "slow" areas, which already punish you for being off road. Why double punish you by pushing you back, or stopping you completely. Now if they were in your way, then that would be more reasonable. Then again, I found these Special Stages really easy. I'm glad these are actually fun to play through, but maybe make the courses just a smidge harder?

4. Special Stage 5 probably took 10 years off my life- but I really enjoy these special stages because they're kind of difficult on your first play through, but in consecutive play throughs they become more manageable as you develop the right skills. The learning curve skills naturally.

I'm mid-way my third play through as of now: my first I only nabbed 4 emeralds, the second I got all 7 by + - Titanic Monarch Zone   , and this one in progress I managed to get them all before the end of Stardust Speedway.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    They become easier once you realize jumping acts like drifting.

Which is not intuitive in the slightest but ok.

6. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    Just dropping by to say Sonic Mania is awesome, I love it. Congratulations to the team, you nailed it.

You have no idea how happy I was when the music started on Lava Reef, I was like "Oh wow, Oil Ocean so they are double dipping... Wouldn't it be crazy if Lava Reef was in here." It was the very next level. Couldn't be happier, honestly.

7. Pengi

Pengi

I've found that it's best to prioritise staying as close to the UFO as possible. Try not to take any detours unless you really need the rings. Getting to top speed early isn't much use if you've lost track of the UFO.

Not exactly a tutorial, but GameXplain has a video up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtvMeeW9NzM

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

Like someone said, jumping is basically drifting. Once you learn the stages are a breeze.

My strategy was getting as much time as I could in the first lap 45-1 minute. Though by this time you want to be at least by Mach 2.

Then once you reach top speed you can catch up to the UFO using shortcuts and the jump drift.

9. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    They place stuff in the air at times where you pretty much have to turn in order to stay on track. It's not intuitive, but it teaches you along the way.

10. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    I see "Knuckles stop going super" is back. Hope they fix that, it was annoying in S3K and it's annoying here.

11. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Another tip for the special stages, the grass doesn't slow you down as much as you'd think. At Mach 3 it just takes you down to Mach 2 speed, which is still slightly faster than the UFO. So long as you get a good jump beforehand, don't get too flustered with the off-road, it can actually be quite helpful.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh shoot, Tails can turn Super without debug mode. I did not realize that. That's excellent, brings him up to speed with the others at least.

13. Update: In order to use the Level Select, it looks like that you have to have gotten a certain number of the silver medals from Blue Spheres. Either one or two rows, not sure. And you have to hold down X + Square + Options all at the same time on the No Save icon until you see the Level Select menu.

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    FYI it's not completely impossible to get an Emerald at Mach 2. I got #7 that way as Sonic. BUT I took a shortcut, whereas the UFO shit its brains out and took the long way. I caught it where the paths met up.

15. Yuzu

Yuzu

Just jumping into this thread to say that I really love this game a ton.

Mania might honestly be my favorite out of the Classic series.

16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So before I play a lot more of the game (Studiopolis was absolutely brilliant top to bottom, BTW. I can see why it was accepted as the concept demo.), I've been watching a ton of reviews/reading comments all day to get the consensus on the game and view reactions.

Something interesting I've noticed.

This game is bringing back a lot of people who barely remember Sonic, as in people who largely ignored him beyond the genesis years and only have vague memories of those days. Either by self admission, or by obvious mistakes when discussing key elements (zone names, ect). There's a large subset of the population that simply hasn't touched a Sonic game in decades who are playing Mania this week. Some are complaining about things (like the going back to act 1 aspect of continues/level saves), and some never really got the appeal of classic Sonic, but 'all' are singing genuine praise for this game.

Aside from the obvious fact that the worst review score across all platforms so far is a single 60 (from a reviewer who is known for simply being contrarian for clickbait reasons and nearly every comment calls him out on it), yet every other 7 review is essentially someone saying "This game was really well made, but it's too nostalgic, or I'm just not very good at it. I wish it wasn't so hard." should stick out.

I don't know how well it's selling, but Mania is definitely grabbing critical attention and getting a reception Sonic hasn't had in a very, very long time (since at least the Dreamcast days by my recollection).

This goes beyond typical reviewers too. Some Youtube only reviewers with solid followings are also noticing the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4vtjfreRnM
    Arlo (a minor but very, very solid Nintendo review/commentary channel) gives it a perfect score.

As does dunkview (whose video has nearly 2 million viewers already).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwTejwu4oaw

What you'll notice is that they both appreciate the game while themselves not having been in the Sonic loop for ages, or only have limited knowledge. You'll also notice several Neogaf commenters who feel the same way, as if this makes them realize how much they'd forgotten about what Sonic was and could be. You've also got a lot of commenters who never realized how hard/skill based these games could be (though I always viewed them as pretty easy with a few exceptions as rings mean you could get hit a lot more than other platformers)

Sadly, I've also read and am only reminded that Sega never even released the Tax/Stealth mobile Sonic ports in Japan. I hope Sega notices this reception and begins to realize what they have on hand here. This game is genuinely countering a lot of the poor blue blur's bad reception.

17. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Does the CE code come with any extra download things? Just wondering since it came today, but I'm not home, and I already downloaded the game on PS4.

18. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    I also feel that, while the level design was a great mix between exploration, speed, and platforming, the way that balance changed from the original zones threw me off a bunch and killed my enjoyment of a handful of zones. Metallic Madness in particular feels nothing like the original level in Sonic CD, and while I knew the level was going to be different than the original, I wasn't expecting it to be as messy as it was. Maybe I'm just too used to the original after 20+ years of playing the living crap out of it but I still stand by my opinion.

Also a stab at my level of skill but it's super disheartening to all of a sudden realize I have 150-200 rings in my possession and then lose them ALL shortly after because I wasn't paying attention.

19. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Newfound Potential Member
    You can drop down to Knuckles' GHZ1 Route if you use Tails to get over the spikes to the left of the first drop as Sonic and/or Tails and hug the right wall of the death pit.

Also

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Them floors look familiar.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Burrobot

Burrobot

... Anyone else actually able to outrun the UFO in (What I believe to be) Special Stage 3? If you take the shortcuts at the right time, you'll run straight past the UFO. This happened to me twice, and unintentionally. I fell off the track trying to turn around both times. :<