don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    The thing I notice about the spider boss is this: You have to let him climb up a little before you launch yourself into him to damage him. Otherwise, he'll just scrape along the ground and won't hit the spikes. He became quite a pushover once I got a handle on that, but yeah, his hitbox may be a little awkward.

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

Personally I just kept bopping him when I could so he wouldn't go up to attack with the electric balls, and when the clinging pillars come down I'd use that opportunity to get one or two hits in, then keep stunning him over and over.

3. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    While thinking about physics of how a big "That's No Moon" on top of an island would weigh it down makes sense, that has no weight in an argument involving the Master Emerald. :v:
    And like I said, Little Planet appears over Never Lake which is on Mirage Island, if a massive planetoid is visible from Angel Island then chances are Angel Island is parked in the ocean next to Mirage Island.

All that is besides the point though, what we should be talking about is how much of a dick to sealife Knuckles is. :v:

4. RikohZX

RikohZX

Also I was curious 'bout Sonic's jumping victory animation, and intentionally made sure to park myself to the GHZ act 2 boss's death hole.
    They were clever enough to put an invisible blocker, so Sonic will just hop in place next to the hole and then immediately jump in once the cutscene takes over. :v:

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Okay... now I'm going to find out what happens if I stand behind the boss when I defeat him.

EDIT: Answer - It just awkwardly slides you back out of the invisible wall and onto the ledge. Fair enough!

6. RikohZX

RikohZX

You'd probably get death-pitted from the hole he creates, not sure if you could safely hit the zone capsule incase there is a spec of land left. Plus when you hit him from behind, Tax and Stealth were also clever, and prevent you from cheesing him by launching you towards his front side through the body (and likely into his hands), so that may interfere with the idea.

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Oh, I just used Super Sonic to stay back there.

8. RikohZX

RikohZX

That works too.
    I'm still stuck on Special Stage 4, I always flub it.

9. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Special Stage 4 was definitely the one that gave me the most trouble. Number 6 is also tough. After that, I failed #7 the first time I tried it, and haven't had a problem with it since. Just finished an all-emeralds run with Tails. I figured I'll save Knuckles for last, kind of do that "Sonic & Knuckles" effect where I'm pretty familiar with the game, then the Knuckles-exclusive stuff can surprise me.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Does anyone else find Knuckles really awkward? The levels aren't fully designed around his jump, so it feels like you are always fighting against his limitations.

And the game seriously needs to patch in an option to continue at Act 2. It's obnoxious beyond belief to go back to Act 1. I'd knock a whole mark off for that alone.

11. raiongame

raiongame

Oh I can easily do one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKWfnp10WZo

As a developer who is used to finding all sorts of bugs... I'm still shocked at quite how many bugs this game has!

Still love it though (:

12. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Only time I suffered from that was the OOZ2 boss, you can't get back on the platforms when they're fully raised if you're knuckles,which is shit.

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I'm very, very hesitant to comment too much on issues like Laura's. It's not really fair for me to do so, since the last time I ever had any problems with Game Overs in a classic Sonic game was around 1995. I never STOPPED playing Sonic games, I've spent almost my whole life getting better at them, and so I'm coming at the game with a much more sharply-honed skillset than a lot of gamers, and it's hard to get into the right headspace to confront that.

I remember, vividly, the day I lost all my lives on the boss of Mystic Caves Act 2, and had to continue from Act 1. I remember my friend saying, verbatim, "ALL THAT WORK, ALL OVER AGAIN, FOR NO REASON AT ALL!?" But in contrast to him, I remember not really feeling all THAT frustrated, or at least it was a GOOD kind of frustrated. I knew I'd get better at Mystic Caves, I'd learn to get through it faster, and I'd be able to beat him next time. Same thing when I lost all my lives AND continues in Death Egg Zone on Sonic 2. I was frustrated and upset, but DETERMINED that I'd get there again. I mean, Sonic taught me what a video game was "supposed" to be, so it's no surprise that I'd acclimate to its design principals, but I genuinely never minded being forced to repeat stuff in a game I was enjoying so much, because _I_ had screwed up too many times. At least, so long as the failure felt like it was MY fault, and not the product of cheap design.

14. I believe it was posted over in the spoiler-free thread, but there was a tweet from Taxman about them now working on a bug patch. There never was a day 1 patch.

So can we open the bug thread?

15. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    I somehow got the normal level music to play on PGZ act 2 when Super. If only this was a real option for all levels.

16. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Replaying Act 1 doesn't make you better at Act 2 though, only replaying Act 2 will do that. Replaying large chunks of level you've already beaten will only make you better at the core mechanics but it's always the cheap object placement and confusing bosses which kill you from my experience. Almost always the bosses to me, which makes it even worse.

I don't think there's a single respectable argument for reverting back to Act 1 if you die in Act 2. In my opinion, all arguments would be based on either nostalgia or blind fanboyism to the team.

If I had my way, I'd take lives out of the game completely, this is a compromise xD

17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    And I'm fully willing to cop to that, as someone with boatloads of nostalgia for the era. I'm not so different from the "kids" (as I can't help but think of them despite the fact that they're like 4 or 5 years younger than me) who argue that Adventure 2 was the apex of Sonic's game design, haha. I can rationalize all I want, but I'm positive that's where a lot of this is coming from.

While I'd be perfectly fine with just doing away with lives entirely, I think I'd miss that bare-knuckle feeling of knowing this is my ABSOLUTE LAST CHANCE to overcome an obstacle without getting more harshly punished. Stakes like that are exactly what I feel a lot of modern games are missing. They might have dozens of hours of content, but none of it's interesting or engaging to me, because there's no real way to LOSE in a meaningful sense. None of it requires any real effort on the part of the player.

Of course, if you want to start a stage directly from Act 2, there's always Level Select. And speaking of which, I found out that turning on Debug Mode on the No Save option, then backing out to the title screen activating Level Select will indeed leave debug on. Alas, I haven't found a button combo to go directly BACK to the select screen.

18. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    So I haven't even cleared Special Stage #1. It looks straightforward enough. Do I have to actively hold forward to chase the UFO or something? Any tips would be appreciated.

19. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I played the game yesterday on Xbox One. I couldn't wait for the CE to arrive so i decided to purchase the normal game.

The game is outstanding... i never had so much fun playing a Sonic Game. I really missed that experience. I finished the game in one run, it wasn't really hard but it wasn't easy too. I consider the difficult just right. I only found some problem in + - Oil Ocean   and + - Titanic Monarch   but i completed after lose some lives, no big problem. My favorite stages was Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon... ( + - I never expected the cameos   )

I finished with three chaos emerald and like ten medals (at least two perfect). Now i'll finish the Switch because i can play it anywhere and check the other modes (i only finished with Sonic & Tails)

So far the game is perfect, i really enjoyed.

20. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    I'm just waiting for the leaderboards to start working. Wanna see how fast people have beaten Metallic Madness.