don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. serpx

serpx

I thought that was the best boss in the game. :v:

2. Press and hold the jump button in the middle of your jump, when you hit the ground it'll do the dash. It takes a bit of getting used to, I initially thought you had to release the button as you hit the ground but that just makes it not work half the time :v:/>

3. serpx

serpx

Wow. I know the execution is very simple -- I fear a lot of beginner players may not figure that out without something telling them that in the game. The insta-shield is easy to figure out cause it's a double jump. I don't generally accidently jump, then hold the jump button afterwards.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I did a thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scu8fTji9p8

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    No it's stupid. Literally changing the game without warning has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Much love for the Mania team but that is just a game design no-no.

A Mean Bean themed boss would've been great. Making the boss an entirely different game is such a bad thing to do. Even if it wasn't Puyo, but some other Sega puzzle game, I'd have the same gripe.

6. RikohZX

RikohZX

At least Eggman is retarded as hell for that fight, but still, I have the feeling it's going to be a severe pacebreaker on repeat playthroughs.

7. Well now this depends on how good at Puyo you are! For me it's hilarious and amazing and fun, caught me off guard and I loved it, being someone who played the heck out of Mean Bean Machine back when. In my most recent rerun with Sonic I got an awesome 8-puyo chain and it felt pretty good. Kinda wish they brought back the Mean Bean voice clips though. I can understand it's all sorts of wack in terms of design if you scope it back even but I liked it a lot cause I'm heavily biased (which I'll fully admit.)

I don't think anyone opposes the unlockable Mean Bean Machine MODE though, which I think would be really cool if in future games they made it like Puyo 2 or more recent Puyo outings.

8. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

What Act 1 stage has the quickest accessible special stage giant ring? The earliest I can find is in Green Hill Zone after the end of the original act 2 layout, but that still takes anywhere from 40-45 seconds to reach on a good run. After doing several reruns of the stage to get to that ring and obtain all the emeralds post-game, I feel like there's got to be an easier one to access somewhere.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Press Garden act 1. It's right under the start of the level.

10. When I first heard of a Mean Bean Machine boss, I thought Robotnik would be dropping beans from above that Sonic would have to push, dodge or something, not that the game would literally change to Puyo Puyo all the way. I definitely don't like this change, not only because I don't like puzzle games, and I suck at them, but also because of the absurdity that is changing the game style like that.

I'm quite annoyed that I can't play the game, because while I can't feel any of the fun by watching other people play, I can easily absorb the bad aspects just from watching... such as bugs, songs I don't like, inconsistencies in presentation... I wish I could play this already and experience the whole thing, so I could judge the game properly.

11. corneliab

corneliab

This might be the best Sonic game I've ever played.

There's one near the beginning of Oil Ocean 1 that you can reach in 20-30 seconds. Before the first fire shield there's a gap with two collapsing platforms and some fans below. If you break those platforms, position yourself on the small ledge to to the left of the fans, and fully charge a spin dash you can get to the oil underneath (this is kind of inconsistent though). Just head right and they'll be some fans that send you to the ring.

I hardly know where any of the big rings are, but this one was convenient enough for me.

EDIT: lmao I forgot about the Press Garden ring. Yeah go with that one.

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I wouldn't mind if it wasn't literally the boss. If it'd dropped you into the boss, had you play for a few seconds, and then Eggman got bored, dropped you out of the machine, and started shooting Puyos at you, it would've been a hundred times better.

It's easy enough, but it's a stupid and unnecessary genre shift. Even in Super Sonic boss fights in other series (and in Mania) the concepts of avoiding hazards, and hitting the boss remain. It never changes the gameplay this much, and for good reason.

13. If you're doing Knuckles, Mirage Saloon 1 has a pretty obvious one that's near the start.

14. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Now that you mention it, I'd enjoy a variation of the Oil Desert Boss concept:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqZystek-0

On a side note, I wish "puzzle" games were called something else simply because I dislike them but love puzzle platformers, which are sometimes confusingly called puzzle games.

15. corneliab

corneliab

Nah, I don't agree with any of this. It's super brazen but works for for how totally out of left field it is and for being pretty much the only example of the game switching up the rules so drastically. Maybe if the boss wasn't extremely easy to compensate for the gameplay shift there would be an issue. I think this implemention was perfect for the surprise and strength of the callback.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    So here's something I haven't seen anybody mention yet:

The intro movie that plays when you leave the title screen running... has two different songs. Let it idle for a while and you'll see hear what I mean.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    And yet I died two or three times, because I don't like Puyo Pop, I don't play it, and I'm not good at it. If your argument is "it's good because it's so bold!" then fine, power to you. But I feel that it is as objectively as possible a bad move.

18. Anyone else notice that Hyrdocity looks to be set in its glorious past? ( + - that act 1 boss was epic as Knuckles.   )

19. RikohZX

RikohZX

I did notice that the statues at the top look like the Sonic 1/2 sprite rather than the Sonic 3 one now.

+ - It's a conspiracy I tell you.  

20. corneliab

corneliab

I bet you could stack everything horizontally while purposefully mismatching everything and Eggman will still kill himself first.

Like, I don't play any kinds of puzzle games at all and have yet to die to this boss. I would also say that even for anyone unfamilar with Mean Bean Machine or any of those games, basic intuition will probably kick in and people will try to connect the same blobs together. And that is literally all it takes to comfortably engage the boss.