don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    + - If only it had the sunglasses, but I had a feeling there was something going on there when I saw it. The manual confirmed it. A nice touch.  
    Meanwhile....
    [​IMG]

Nice of the developers to remember me...I know, just a coincidence.

2. Epicsuperleader

Epicsuperleader

what is the oil ocean miniboss supposed to mean, is it some reference im not getting, or is it literally just there?

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    + - The miniboss has a Spanner. So yes, it's literally just there, nothing to look into there.  

4. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Ok, not even going to bother spoiler tagging this: you do not get anything for getting gold on every Blue Sphere stage. I'd assume it will probably be a trophy/achievement on the other consoles. Worth your time to do all the Blue sphere stages, not worth your time to perfect all of them. :V

5. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

How do you hit the blue missile for the Studiopolis mid-boss? The momentum is really dumb. >_<

6. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Press down to roll in to them.

7. akumajobelmont

akumajobelmont

This happened to me too. Twice. Second time, I went back to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but yeah, I had to restart that stage 3 times. Mildly annoying to say the least.

Thank goodness the rest of the game is making up for it, in spades. Absolutely thrilled with it so far.

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I unlocked Sonic's peel-out move, but I can't seem to be able to use it. How does it work, exactly?

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Launch no save mode. Then press up and jump (apparently)

10. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

Okay. The Flying Battery Act 2 boss is fun, but it took me forever to get to it. Had 8 minutes on the timer. XD

11. Finished the game as Sonic. All 32 gold medallions, all chaos emeralds, true final boss. I'm... disappointed, I guess?

Only four new zones? Not what I was expecting. Most of the old zones stick too close to the original layouts and ideas. It feels like most of the plot is missing. Bleh.

I'll come to love everything with time, I'm sure.

12. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

Is there any way to try the special stages again? Once you find one, it disappears forever. Even if you get a game over!

13. Finish the game.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Fucking terrific. Took about 3 hours to beat Sonic & Tails, only got 3 emeralds. About to start Knuckles.

15. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    Well, this game isn't really about the story (and by that I mean it's pretty secondary in a game like that). The game has plenty of flaws I consider more significant (such as Tee Lopez certain music tracks, certain bosses, massively reused chunks of old levels, sudden drop of level transitions, visuals that are far from impressive even for a (supposed-to-be-for-)Saturn game, and a bunch of other fairly questionable gimmicks), but I'd like to get to them once I'll get my hands on the game myself. Which is fairly unlikely, as neither me nor my friend are planning to buy it. :\

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Taking a 5 minute break to stretch and eat a sandwich, then starting Knuckles: https://www.twitch.tv/krejlooc

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

I find it hard to articulate whether I'm impressed or disappointed.
    On one hand, what's there is (mostly) polished fun, and the surprises caught me off guard (though I still want to see the true final boss, I only managed to get 3 emeralds because I suck at the Special Stages).
    On the other hand, half the game is classic content reformulated, and a lot of the newer ideas either feel okay or kind of awkward, particularly the second original zone which just feels like it got transplanted out of a fangame rather than anything Sonic-esque (and fuck that boss).

I think my biggest problem is that it felt like a "Best of Classic Sonic," like a different take on what Generations did six years ago and entirely classic. It doesn't get the opportunity to really do enough on its own that it feels like it steps out of the shadows of the games it recreates so much, and what it does create on its own terms doesn't really feel like it's even part of the same game. And while things like the Chemical Plant and a certain water zone's bosses were neat throwbacks, they're the last thing a Sonic boss should be pulling when you consider repeat playthroughs. The CP boss especially, which is a nice throwback/reference and all, but it's kind of something I'm going to hate the next time I go through the game.

Also the fact that unlocked abilities only work on a No Save run is kind of seriously dumb if that really is the case.

18. Goddamn, maybe my reflexes aren't what they used to be, but some of these Blue Sphere bonus stages are kicking my ass. There are couple with odd Sphere groupings that I can't seem to get the max rings out of.

19. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

I just noticed .. How come the intro animation is missing? Is it an unlockable, or something? You'd think it'd show up before the title screen.