don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I've made a whole playthrough of S3&K as Sonic and Tails (that fox is still a traitor) after this much time, and had some trouble beating the special stages, sometimes even without a perfect, but got them all from each set before their corresponding game finished (S3/S&K), so I guess I'm not as rusty as I thought. I'm ready to face those Mania bonus stages now. And, as an added bonus, my 12 year old controller seems to work fine for those games, so no keyboard and no controller buying. Yippee!

BTW, does someone know why the Sega classics emulator from Steam gives so much work to my PC? It's just an emulator with a simple room as a hub, it shouldn't have that effect.

2. Yuzu

Yuzu

I had issues running it smoothly, without hitching on my PC:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
    i5 4670k @ 4.3Ghz
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Windows 10

I ended up ripping the ROMs and putting them into KEGA Fusion. There's no reason why my PC should struggle to run Sega Genesis games.

3. I often lurk more than I post, but since the game was leaked I did not dare to enter the forum. How lucky to find this topic!

I was able to dodge all the spoilers, luckily, except for the captures of the final boss Youtube is suggesting to me from today. All my Youtube has been Sonic Mania for a month.

Anyway ... starting to play Sonic 2!

4. RikohZX

RikohZX

Having beaten Sonic 3 Complete last week with Sonic 2 sprites in prep for Mania, I got the Chaos Emeralds and all the way to Doomsday for my first time legitimately without level select or strings attached, but didn't bother with Super Emeralds. And I gotta say, I forgot how full of cheap hits and obnoxious level design S&K was past Flying Battery.

5. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    I'd love nothing more than to stay off Youtube for the next two days, but I'll be crammed in a car the entire time with barely any other means of entertainment. Already seen a thumbnail or two I wish I hadn't. The shit assholes will do for views...

6. Tomadom

Tomadom

Kudos to those who haven't been as unlucky as me to end up finding a video or two with things I didn't want spoiled :/

Also agree this thread should be for PC gamers and not the lucky console players once the 15th comes around, that way you don't run the risk of accidental spoilers.

In the meantime, gonna end up going to S3 Complete and Sonic Classic Heroes while I wait for today and tomorrow to go on by.

EDIT: Fixed some wording due to the way I phrased things. Figured I'd edit it for safety. Thanks, sonicblur.

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    If I had to choose between Sonic 3 or S&K, I'd choose Sonic 3 any day, yeah. Sonic & Knuckles level design just scream "late game" for me, and it must've been pretty frustrating for people playing it as a standalone.

8. Pigeon

Pigeon

Nothing really
    Thanks for that, almost saw what I'm guessing is the same final boss spoiler as others have seen/almost seen. Luckily I only half saw the title (enough to see the words "final boss") and a blur of colours as I instantly scrolled away. Hate that people are doing this, I kept seeing another thumbnail that is either a fan-made thing or a spoiler (I can't tell and I don't want to take a closer look in case it is a spoiler), and if it's a spoiler I'll definitely be annoyed. I'm thankful for this safe haven to discuss Sonic Mania lurk and read the discussion on Mania, I'd get bored if I couldn't come here and lurk all the time //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Honestly it really does bother me how noncaring people are about spoilers involving Youtube and Twitch. Oh, a game's been leaked almost a week ahead of release by accident? Jump onto the info train as soon as possible and post the biggest spoilers you can so you can bait in more curious views before someone else does, regardless of the likelihood of propagating more than a fair number of bitter people who didn't want the spoilers to pop up in their suggestions bar. I've seen people get offended when companies prevent them from streaming games they broke the street date on, even for story-heavy games, as if they're entitled to luring in the numbers and spreading the spoilers.

10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    According to Aaron Webber there will be a launch trailer tomorrow, which will likely contain spoilers.

[​IMG]

11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Somehow you must be unlucky or had some kind of configuration issue. My previous machine, prior to upgrading earlier this year was a Quad-core 2.8ghz Xeon from 2008 with 12GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 5770, which is far slower than that but the emulator ran fine. Haven't even tried it on the machine that replaced that one.

I don't watch enough Sonic videos on YouTube to have fallen victim to that problem yet as most of my suggestions are not Sonic related, but the way you phrased that implies that you just partially spoiled it for everyone else by pointing out that there's something to care about there.

On the plus side, I'm not upset about that because
    there are specific spoilers that I wouldn't mind knowing and this sounds like one of those.
    Please be careful though with your phrasing. :-)

12. Bro, do you even Lava Reef Zone though? One of the best levels in S3K.

And rightly so, the S&K levels should be more difficult on average than S3 because technically most of them are late game levels being the 2nd half of S3.

Sonic 2 by comparison is far more cheap and annoying, especially evil stages like metropolis.

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'll probably watch the trailer... well... hopefully someone will chime in and tell how many spoilers it includes.

14. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

The launch trailer shouldn't spoil anything for you if you've already watched the intro.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Except showing some gameplay from those (and maybe other zones not included) in that intro. Tbh I'd rather not see gameplay from those zones yet.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Regarding the YouTube spoilers, I agree that the people doing that are asshattedly fishing for views, but they probably feel like they can get away with it. I mean, I saw another YouTuber I'm a fan of going off on Twitter about the stages because, "really though who cares about level spoilers?" Fortunately I didn't actually SEE anything else he said, but still.

People tend to be WAY more reverential of narrative spoilers (Snape kills Dumbledore!) than they are of mechanical spoilers (The Screw Attack is in this game!). Which bugs ME, because I tend to care way more about the latter, and in fact this is one of the very few times I've EVER tried to actively avoid spoiling myself. I just keep thinking of how Generations presented itself in-game, how you never knew what stage you'd be going to until you GOT there, and how much more thrilling my first playthrough would've been that way.

EDIT: Also, I won't be watching the intro until I actually play the game, so I'll obviously stay away from the launch trailer as well. Hope I can avoid it for... about 30 more hours!

17. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I bought an Ouya this week from a co-worker and side loaded Sonic 1 & 2 on it. Played through both with the elemental shields and getting all 7 chaos emeralds (With the 7th added in Sonic 1). I also played though Knuckles Chaotix recently, and I want to do a run of Sonic CD and Sonic 3K before Mania drops. Might play around in Spinball and the Flicky-less hack of Sonic 3D Blast if I have time too.

18. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Played through 1-3&K via Sonic Jam, went through all of Sonic World, played through enough of 3D Blast (Saturn) to do all the special stages, and dipped my toes into my good old guilty pleasure Sonic R. I don't think I could be any more ready if I tried. :V

19. I'm probably gonna play through Sonic Jam as well tomorrow, in beautiful RGB quality of course. Sonic 1 special stages should be fun, since my disk is scratched where that music is so it loops incorrectly :v:

20. I did watch the intro because I'm subscribed to Aaron the memester Sonic the Hedgehog on youtube and it alerted my phone. Really nice. Actually didn't notice anything that might have spoiled the game though I have heard those details are encompassed. So while nothing has been spoiled for me yet, anyone else in my shoes may pick up on things I missed and I don't suggest you look at it.

I also have not touched the normal Mania thread or any Mania thread anywhere else and have been actively been consuming just about every other community I regular, including many multi-hour Tomb Raider speedruns. So I have endured the struggle and will continue to endure.

Also, I bought that controller 360 recommended and accidentally shipped it to my old address across town, so I'll have to go get that soon....
    The biggest test to my endurance will be whether or not I go pick up a PS4 tomorrow. Its not a smart purchase now, even though I do plan on getting it eventually and technically I can spare enough cash to get it.

For those who have already been spoiled: I and others in this thread don't want to be told shit....but it would be nice to hear if the game is selling well and reviewing well. No details at all, but I wouldn't mind knowing that fact. It is important, in my mind, that Mania does well in both areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.