don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interesting. Didn't know they'd lock them in Europe. Puts the value of the incentives in a whole different light.

2. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    PS4 player here- to be honest, the main Mania thread is going to be a bit intimidating knowing what's probably been discussed already. Chances are when I get the game I'll drop off the radar for a week just to play Mania and come back when things have gotten a bit less intense.

I got mad respect for you PC players who don't crack under the pressure of spoilers. Best of luck for those of you playing the long endurance game!

(Psst: if you want ideas for what to discuss, posting battlestations is always a good one! :v: )

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    One thing to remember about SteamSpy is that it works like the Nielsen TV ratings. (And their about page explains this better) They don't scan every single user out of millions, pushing the Steam API that far would either get them blacklisted or just take way too long. One person represents hundreds of people (I don't know the actual scale) on their results. The numbers just fluctuate based on the range of random users that they have recent data for.

I haven't been checking the spoiler thread anymore, because I accidentally spoiled one of the bosses the day the leaks started, so I don't know if this was posted there yet. Ars Technica bumped their impressions of the June preview from E3 back to the main page yesterday mentioning that their full review is under embargo until Monday.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/sonic-mania-is-already-so-good-id-buy-its-incomplete-version-as-is/
    The fact that he bumped it implies to me that their review is going to be very good.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I bought an Xbone. Fuck you Sega I win. Tried to ruin this for me but I won.

5. Sounds like Microsoft win more than you do...

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Hope that's not what you really think.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Sony almost won instead, but I got outbid. Whatever, I've got Sunset Overdrive and all the 360 games I missed out on to look forward to.

EDIT: Thought about cancelling my PC preorder too, but then realized I'm going to need the PC version when I go and stream myself beating the game with my feet. Finally gonna get my 1 mil views on Youtube.

8. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Would you guys be okay with spoiler-free thoughts in this thread from people who played the game when it comes out on consoles? Or should this thread be strictly a bunker for those waiting to play?

Just curious, I'll be borrowing a Switch next week because I'm weak and cannot help myself (here's to hope Tantalus did a good job), but PC is still my prefered platform, so I'll be waiting to play the 'definitive' version as well. I'd be happy to dump some spoiler-free thoughts in the meantime if that's something welcome here.

9. Spoiler-free thoughts are just added temptation. Leave us to our suffering! :)

10. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Personally, I won't mind if you console guys play the game, read the reviews, and come to this thread only to say "Yeah, the game lives to its hype", "The reviews scores are high" and so on.

11. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Fucking Youtube thumbnails are spoiling the final boss, why are people so inconsiderate?

Fellow Firefox users, grab Video Blocker for Firefox and key in "Sonic" and "Mania."

12. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    There's also a Video Blocker for Chrome, don't venture into YouTube right now without it.

13. Yeah, I saw the title and the left side of the thumbnail of that one, but luckily the left side was only Sonic getting hit. Only a day and a half until I don't have to worry about these darn spoilers anymore...

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I. Keep. Clicking. The other thread!
    Didn't read much of interest luckily.

All spoilers have come from Youtube suggestions, I know a couple facts and seen a couple thumbnails. I now have extensions to redirect me from the main thread and block those videos. Also clicked 'not interested' on any sonic related content and now I don't get any suggested.

15. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Hah, that's exactly what I saw. I saw a slight glimpse of the boss on the side of it but didn't make out a figure before I Ctrl+W'd the fuck out of there.

16. raiongame

raiongame

As someone who wasn't 100% on board with the style of Sonic Mania's music I will say this...

I accidentally came across the music from one of the spoiled new zones/acts (I won't say which for obvious reasons) and it took. my. breath. away! Just amazing. It seems Mania has something for everyone.

I am now more excited than ever about this game.

17. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I won't be one of the sufffering PC players so ignore me, but personally I think it might open the floodgates to minor spoilers slipping through, especially if some people have a more lax threshold on what counts as a spoiler or not.

For example, playing a videogame and having someone go "Oh, this next bit is really cool!" (Or something vague along those lines) can make a player aware of something coming up very soon, rather than enjoy the surprise. Even though no-one technically spoiled anything.

Bit of an extreme case of spoiler sensitivity though so maybe that's pushing the example too far - not sure how everyone else is. :v:

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, I would say we should keep all post-play impressions to the other thread, and leave this one as a safe haven for people who will be waiting 'til the PC version is out. Plus, I'm guessing most of us will be getting through this in one or two sessions anyway.

19. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    I'd love to believe this, but the lack of confirmation either way hasn't been very assuring. If it were just "optimizations" and not DRM as well, they'd probably have clarified it already since lots of people dread the latter but not the former.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This seems fair to me, to be honest.

Today I tried to play through 1/CD/2/3K in one run:

1 - beaten with all emeralds, which I believe is the first time I've ever done that.
    CD - Never been a huge fan of the gameplay & level design in CD - got through the game, but without even a single Time Stone =/
    2 - 4th emerald took me 9 tries to get - the second part of the special stage is imo the hardest part of the entire game. By the time I finally got it I'd reached a late enough point in the game where posts are hard to find and rings hard to keep. Reached the final starpost of the game with 6 emeralds and 40 rings :( Beat the game with the six.
    3K - ran out of time today, so I'll have to put it off for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.