don't click here

Hirokazu Yasuhara revealing all kinds of Sonic development stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 22, 2017.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Eh, I wouldn't say that. The corks in CD didn't have to be pushed prior to the water rise, and they magically moved along with Sonic after he stepped on them for some reason. I always saw them as basically slightly tweaked versions of Labyrinth Zone's sponge blocks.

2. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I immediately thought of the corks when I saw them...I wouldn't be surprised if the pushing part was scrapped because let's face it, trying to not drown was already hard enough without having to push the damn things in place first.

Actually.......do we have ANY instances in the 2D games of the player having to push something while underwater? It could be that it ended up being far too slow to be practical, and they decided to move the challenge aspect to dodging obstacles while the water rises with you instead.

3. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

"This is also a gimmick which related with water." [Link]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It looks like they may have been planning to implement this in Angel Island, with the switches that change the water level and those floating spiky logs which are solid from beneath, probably to prevent the player from returning to the original path afterwards.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They sort-of did implement it, just as sand in Sandopolis act 2.

6. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
  7. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    He casually ignored the question asking if a copy still exists :) Maybe he'll get back to it.

Still interesting to see he remembers what the game was like at that time. Going by the screenshot and the fact Sonic didn't turn into a ball yet, his jump animation must have just been the same as his walking sprite.

8. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It's likely he has no idea if a copy of the game exists. Baka didn't even know about the Sonic 2 beta until a game journalist showed him after all.

I'd love to do an interview about it though. He's had tons of projects in between but Sonic must have stuck out in his memory since it was so big.

9. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    This is a little bit of a long-shot, but do you reckon that this bug from Sonic 1 could be a result of a holdover from this period of development? :o Given that the solution we have is to add code rather than change or remove, which would hint at omission rather than a logic error.

10. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I like that bug, it's part of Sonic 1's charm. :rolleyes:

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    My gut feeling is that Yuji Naka probably re-wrote the whole engine after that Tokyo Toy Show demo. Pretty much all of the art seems to have been scrapped - I reckon it was easier just to start again from scratch.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Has anyone ever checked for leftovers/reused code from Ghouls 'n Ghosts or Phantasy Star II in Sonic 1? I suspect that Naka didn't start his projects from scratch.

13. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Looking at Phantasy Star II, I see that its initialization code resembles Sonic 1's initialization code very much and it uses the same game mode system as Sonic 1 as well (except with JMPs and NOPs instead of BRAs). Even the stack base address is the same as Sonic 1's. Palette fading routines, although not the same, seems to work similarly to how Sonic 1 did it. The V-SYNC routine is also similar to Sonic 1's. The V-INT routine also uses a V-INT routine system like Sonic 1.

So, I would say that Yuji Naka did have a base engine to start his projects off with.

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I feel like the tech demo, if found, would be very underwhelming.

15. Chebghobbi

Chebghobbi

Sorry, very late to this party.

It actually makes perfect sense because 'neo' is the ancient Greek word for 'young'.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Young in 'fresh', 'contemporary'. You're actually distorting the meaning. The antonym of 'neo' is 'paleo' (yep, from paleontology) and would be adequate for describing an ancient green hill.

17. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Let's not pretend the people behind "Genocide City Zone" had any idea what they were doing with the level names.

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hey guys ! I woke up to a message from a Discord friend who is currently offline now. He asked me to post these here in hopes that people like cat could find them useful for perhaps an alternate starting point to clean, color, and fix up.
    I'm not sure if he wanted me to give his name and any background info on the scans in where he had obtained them. I'll make an update when I get any info on the images the next time he is on.

Edit: Ok so yeah guys, the images were taken by xrick03, he doesn't have an account here so he had asked me to post them. His source for the images came from the video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3avMBqJ9s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. RDNexus

RDNexus

I've been following this topic almost since it started, and I've been enjoying it so far.
    The idea that there could have been 2 time-travel-related stories released at almost the same time could've been quite appealing, if not to compare both of them and see each person decide which they could deem better.
    As one who loves game maps, these ones are simply amazing to look at, especially because they even list the zones each one had.
    Too bad Yasuhara hasn't dumped them online, nor even South Island, I'd love to keep them in my computer for life.

One thing I've been wondering is the fact nobody seems to have felt, so far, like trying to reproduce Sonic2's original concept.
    Since I have no programming, hacking or modding skills, I don't have the first idea of how it could be made.

Anyway, I've notified Kat about the maps Andrew75 helped me post here, before I could do so myself, maybe sometime soon we may see new versions of the works of art she previously made. I, for sure, shall be awaiting them.

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    With this community being what it is, I'm sure a Sonic 2 hack based on this stuff will happen eventually. Then again, I thought the same thing about a Sonic 4 demake and that never happened...