don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Case in point: Yooka Laylee. Game's been patched a ton to be wayyyy better now, but not a lot of people really care because the initial release was just so...messy. First impressions are REALLY important.

I'm disappointed too, I didn't want to have to double dip and I had a Genesis pad all ready to go, but alas, it's life. As far as this being "unprofessional", I'm really sorry, I wish game dev was that easy and that simple. Even the best in the business talk about how annoying QA is and this seems like one of those scenarios, also probably because the dev team is pretty small compared to most large studios. There's even incredibly popular examples of this happening! Earthbound had to be reprogrammed in spite of a good chunk of it being done, there are probably numerous other examples. Sometimes this kinda stuff just happens, and yeah it tends to suck, but it is what it is.

2. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I just hope this thing releases without any further issue. I'm still hyped to play it, even if I have to wait a little longer.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
  4. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I didn't make this, but:

5. MartiusR

MartiusR

I don't see any value in doing it in the internet. In fact - in real life as well. Reading some posts in this topic is making me even more sure of it. It's far, far better if we're ashamed of ourself (and our actions), not of others.

6. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    This is the perfect quality content I come here to see. Fantastic. Regardless of whether it's been used correctly or not here, Iizuka's face never fails to make me laugh.

(I'm still waiting for Iizuka fan club t-shirts to appear on the store - forget that Mania t-shirt garbage)

7. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Nevermind that there's no requirement for Steam releases of games to have any kind of DRM applied to them, even Steamworks.

8. Creature SH

Creature SH

Hey, are we supposed to have that free Sonic 1 already or are they gonna give that out on the 15th? Not that I care that much (like most here, I have plenty of versions of that game), but I was wondering.

9. I have it already. It's under DLC in "SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics"

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Curious about how Sonic 1 is being distributed. When my CE shows up, does it just auto-add Sonic 1 to my Steam library when I input the code for Mania? Ideally I'd like to (try to) find someone who doesn't have Sonic 1 on Steam and let them have it somehow, since I already do, but I'm assuming it won't be a giftable thing.

11. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

I won't debate your last point. Certainly too many people have plenty of shame for others, and not enough for themselves.

Anyway, on topic... Shame about the delay, but that happens. Only the dev team knows exactly what happened, and I'm sure the delay is the last thing they wanted.

12. As far as I understand it, if Sonic 1 isn't in your Steam library yet then it gets added to it, with no option to gift it instead. If Sonic 1 IS in your Steam library already, then you get a giftable copy. That's what Aaron said, though I'm not familiar enough with this kind of thing to verify.

13. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Maybe it can tell, based on the exact download code, that it came from a CE, and thus was preordered?

You know what's weird? It says that Sonic 1 installed, not today, but the day I prepurchased Mania.

14. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

Is there any word on how the screen is upscaled on console? Does the engine render natively at 1080p for sharpness, or is the image scaled from it's lowest resolution in post, metaphorically?

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    It's 240p internally, that is scaled depending on output resolution. It supports both integer and non-integer scaling.

16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Out of curiosity, would someone who pre-ordered the game today still get Sonic 1 or only people who already pre-ordered?

17. On the delay announcement stream, Aaron said anyone who pre-ordered prior to the 15th. I'm not sure exactly how they'd implement that in practice.

18. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I don't get my Steam games directly, a friend IRL pays online for them and sends them to me as gifts, and I pay to him on-hand. Thing is he doesn't like Sonic games, and I haven't got the giftable copy from Mania's delay, so I suppose my friend has now an unwanted game in his library :v:. He's on a trip out of the country right now, I'll know if this is true when he comes back. XDDD

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Only 3 days left... I'm chomping at the bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na304EbdG-s&feature=youtu.be

20. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Well, the delay didn't seem to cause a major drop in sales via refunds. Sonic Mania experienced a drop of ~100 sales on the day of the announcement, whilst jumping from ~19K to ~21k today. So it looks like the delay did have an effect on sales (first day they've ever dropped and not risen) but now fans are buying the game again.

Sonic Mania's upward sales trajectory has been restored it seems. However disappointed I am by the delay, for the sake of the game I hope the trend continues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.