don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RikohZX

RikohZX

Platformania is also a daily stream with Somecallmejohnny, Brainscratch Commentaries, Find The Computer Room and others, and Johnny's gonna tackle Mania on release day for their finale.

2. So here's something I woke up to this morning:

10:21 AM - man, watch out for the spoilers
    10:24 AM - also [zone] is back

Give me one good reason I shouldn't unfriend this guy on the spot.

3. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I would keep him around, just to have a chance of hanging out with him, punch him in the face, AND THEN unfriend him.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Maaan, I've found out about 3 old stages (2 which were in the opening animation I watched) and a boss fight in one day. I really need to be more careful. Good luck to everyone avoiding things, it'll be worth it!

5. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I haven't pre-ordered the PC version yet and this happens. x_X This would have been WAY worse for me if it weren't for the fact I can play the game on a friend's Nintendo Switch or a friend's PS4 before the PC version's new launch date. Makes me extra glad that I recently bought 8Bitdo's SFC30 Controller which works on Nintendo Switch. However, this news makes me very annoyed at Nintendo for failing miserably to keep the Wii U alive. Had the Nintendo Switch's release been way later, I probably could have bought a copy for my Wii U.

6. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I bought the Collector's Edition and I'm sticking to it.
    I know the delay hurts. But I want you all to remember what this game is. Who's making it and where it comes from. What it took to get here. What it means for the Sonic series.
    Remember that. Remember how profound this is. Please don't shoot the one miracle we got.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Lol Sonic 4 why.

8. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Can this be the topic's subtitle?

This morning, I noticed more people on social media than I expected to be salty about the delay, or console fans gloating about it with "PC Peasant" memes. (Maybe ironically.) Now, I'm keeping a temp-mute list on a text file until the release, so my hype isn't dragged down by all the negativity. It had me eying Steam's refund policy page until I decided, "Nah I shouldn't let other people control my hype levels".

While I won't tell anybody to not be mad about this outcome, Lange has a point. This is the fandom's one chance for a new classic title and I don't want Mania to be the last one we ever get.

9. Sonikko

Sonikko

Bird Member
    Italy
    I'm really sad about the delay and I wish it wasn't the case, but people asking for refunds or "boycotting" Mania altogether are acting dumb imho. I mean, yeah, it's your right to do so, but this is the one chance we get, we can't blow it like that.
    That said, I only own a PC, I already bought the Switch version without owning the console, and if I had a PS4 I'd buy that version too to play it on the release day.
    Avoiding spoilers has been very hard, but I managed to, I know nothing new so far and I haven't even watched the opening cutscene, I want it to be fresh when I start up the game on August 29.

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I get why people are annoyed about the wait for PC (as am I), but I don't get why people are annoyed at the devs or Sega. As if they wanted to do this?
    Silly silly.

11. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

So we can appreciate what Mania is giving to us even more. :) (actually the reason lol, he's addressed that before)

12. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Just to echo Lange's sentiment, people cancelling surprises me considering how much history people know is behind this. Kind of feels like people have forgotten that it's regular flawed humans trying to bring this game to your homes, not the least of which being two core members of this community who have been here since nearly 20 years ago.

Hopefully no one on the team takes the negative responses here much to heart. Then again, I'm sure it's just temporary emotion and people who actually did cancel will become interested again once its really out anyway. That's usually how it goes. I mean, come on, you're on a Sonic forum that you're looking at every day and posting on. You're not giving up on Sonic now of all times. He's done much worse in the past.......

Much worse.

13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Honestly, I know I can't really give lessons myself because I'm gonna play it on the xbox one, but I don't really see what's the big deal here. It's just a temporary setback. You'll still be able to play the game eventually.

I know the reasons people are pissed off is because they won't be able to experience the game blind, and that kinda suck, I guess.
    But experiencing a game blind only work for the first playtrough, and that doesn't mean that all the other playtrought of said game will not be fun. I've played the classic more time than I can count, but every playtrought seem to be more enjoyable than the last one. It's not like you NEED to experience the game blind in order to enjoy it. I've played Metal Gear Solid 2 while knowing the "big" plotwist and I still enjoyed it. (Heck, I got half of the zones and bosses for Mania spoiled already because of stupid fucking youtube videos)

The Sonic series is notorious for rushed development cycle and buggy games.
    I know the situation here is somewhat different from usual since we're only talking about the pc port, but I prefer waiting to have a great PC version than a buggy one.
    I don't think people seem to realize, but the PC versions of Sonic games have been less than stellar lately. Sonic Generations and the "configuration doesn't match the hardware" bug that prevent you from playing the game, the poor optimization of chemical plant zone, the game not detecting your Nvidia card, ect... Same for Sonic Lost World "5$ budget" PC port locked at 60 fps that make the game unplayable if your computer can't keep up with the framerate.

I'm not trying to defend Sega here, the situation was exceptionally poorly handled. Announcing this 4 day from release was bad enough, and Sega going "we can give you sanic 1 for free, lel" was just adding insult to injury.

But I think you're all taking the situation a little bit too seriously. In a few years, we'll all remember this little accident and have a few laughs.
    It's not going to taint the reputation of the game forever, it's not going to impact the future of classic sonic.

People that want to play the game will still play the game. And if you're canceling your preorder just for a 2 weeks delay, maybe you weren't that interested in the game in the first place.

(*insert overused Miyamoto quote here*)

14. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    And in case most people here don't know, there are fees on the developer/publisher's end when you request a refund. So if you vote for Mania with your dollars by canceling now and buying it again on the day of release, it won't count as much as your original purchase. Something to think about it.

This is my line of thinking in general when buying a game. If I have to sit there and deeply consider throwing the money at it, then I probably didn't want it that badly. Or as you said, if I'm considering a refund so early on, then I probably shouldn't have bought it at all.

15. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I refunded because I switched to a PS4 preorder instead. Back when I bought it I didn't realise Nuuvem would have it much cheaper as an option, so I no longer saw the point of a full-priced preorder on Steam if it wasn't gonna release on time.

Requesting a refund if PC is your only platform capable of playing it does feel rather pointless, as it's not likely the price will change. However, I won't blame anyone that does it for just switching to one of the other platforms and doesn't feel comfortable with double dipping for what will basically be the same game (minus the potential for mods I guess).

16. Just want to repeat that I think allot of us PC guys are more pissed off about having to avoid spoilers, rather than waiting a little longer.

It's kind of annoying that people are getting shut down for expressing their frustrations. We are human, not emotionless robots, it's perfectly ok to be bit pissed off about this situation, I'm sure the team are also.

Having to re-arrange work commitments to play the game on release etc... lesson learned for the future

Still really looking forward to it. Hoping it gets good reviews (although I won't read any) will just look at the scores.

17. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Everyone on here is going to buy the game. People are overreacting because they are angry, but I can emphasise with them because I would be a very unhappy bunny if I only had PC :v:

And I just want to remind everyone here, as great as Taxman, Stealth and the others are, they aren't our friends. And I know some of you might have known them all at some point years ago on this site, but times have significantly changed. We don't owe anyone on Team Mania anything, we are their customers; they owe us a good game. They are developers and we are fans, that's as far as the relationship goes. I'm buying every version of Mania I can (PS4, Xbox One and Steam) because I want to support this kind of game going forward, and yes, because I like the developers and want to support to them. But I don't have undying 'loyalty' to the developers and no one should be coerced into buying the game to support Team Mania if they don't want to.

I could understand cancelling the preorder if you are short of money and only have access to PC. That £15 could go towards another game this month while you pick up Mania later down the line on August 29th/September.

18. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Spoilers, spoilers everywhere. One reason I'm glad I don't have Twitter. (One of many reasons.)

19. MartiusR

MartiusR

I can't say that I don't understand (and sympathize) with people's emotions about this situation (even if I'm not sympathizing with way how some of them are expressing those emotions - but that's internet, everyone is "brave" in the internet). The fact that even Switch (which is in technical terms, impotent cripple, comparing to average PC and current gen consoles) can have this game on time, while PC can't, due to "optimalisation (really?), the rumor about Denuvo (I personally would never order Mania, if I knew about it, have hope that it's nothing more than rumor) and the great "reward" for waiting - Sonic 1 on Steam. Wow. It's probably even more annoying for people, who are aware about truth regarding creating games on consoles - take a look on this article ("main source" you can find here). And yet, despite the fact, that creating games on consoles is a struggle, somehow fully working version of the game will be released on consoles on time. On PC - not.. Due to optimization.... Seriously?

Besides - I personally don't like, when someone is ashamed of someone in the internet. It's recently very popular habit, which I dislike for many reasons - one of them is, that such person is usually considering himself as "cool and more intelligent", because of course some lack/bad behaviour is not his problem, but this awful man/group/fanbase/whatever. And the argument "but it's Mania, we must praise it, no matter what" is completely emotional and illogical - with all due respect to creators (I wish them success), it's the right of customer to expect, and it's service deliver duty to fullfill expectations (if they're not unrealistic - in this case, I don't see nothing unrealistic in expecting of releasing the game in the same day on PC and on consoles). It's not customer's concern, that creator of game/book/movie is great idealist with great ideas or just some "tinkerer" who is making something similar to his previous creations.

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    For us PC-only players, I think now is a good time to play other things while we wait for Mania. I haven't finished Hyper Light Drifter, still have a few achievements left to get on Shantae: Pirate's Curse, and the first two Dark Souls games, for single player urges in my backlog. (And if some people haven't played Freedom Planet 1 yet, I highly recommend it. :) ) Rabi Ribi, and Momodora: Reverie Under Moonlight, are really popular with my friends too.

Granted, one reason I even have a small backlog is because most of my game time is sucked up by multiplayer with friends. :specialed: I don't buy a whole lot of single player games when my spending priorities are "Hardware > Accessories > More Hardware > Controllers > Software/Apps > Games".

Refunding to buy it on another platform is an understandable position. I agree that not everyone wants or needs to buy a specific game three times. (Although I gladly double dip between Steam and GoG where possible.) People double or triple dip the most when a game is relatively cheap, like most indies are. I don't see it happen as often with commercial games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.