don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Discussions on Sonic Retro 101:
    "Here is my opinion."
    "Here is my different opinion."
    "Uh, you know, that's your opinion? Are you aware people have opinions?"
    like are you also going to tell me that we are writing words and we have thoughts about things

2. Falk

Falk

Other than pointing out the fact that BTS/ATS really wasn't a solo work (heck, I put the dance beat on Eye of the Storm and nothing much else) I don't really have much to say about BTS/ATS in this immediate context, especially considering Mania is an official work with a different overall precedent and expectation.

Anyway!

Sonic 2 Boss Theme
    Sonic 3&K Boss Theme
    Polygon Sonic Mania GHZ2 boss gameplay

Sonic 3 Miniboss
    Sonic Mania Miniboss

Sonic 2 Special Stage
    Sonic Mania Special Stage

(I feel like this post is going to backfire and we're going to instead get commentary on how Mania's music is too safe and derivative lol)

edit:
    If that's gonna be your takeaway from it, I don't think anyone can stop you. ¯\_(:V)_/¯

3. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    More like I'm going to tell you how needlessly edgy that was.

_____

I certainly can catch the hints here, and this theme is actually tons better than that of Mania's midboss/HBHs, but it did sorta lost the part of battling atmosphere of its inspirations, although not as terribly.
    I'd love to hear a full version of it and without SFX getting in the way, but the part of it than can be heard is rather fine for a boss fight. Pretty much the best boss theme in Mania so far.

This, on the other hand, sounds absolutely nothing like a boss fight. More like something you'd dance to in a club. Also, can't catch S3 miniboss's theme's hints here at all.

(not in my case)

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    There we go!

Tee Lopes did everything right with his research and references. We have no right to judge songs out of context. Remember that he's mixing past the limitations of the previous compositions while remembering its 2017.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Don't play victim. There's a difference between voicing your opinion and insulting others' opinions with a head smashing gif.

6. Chaud

Chaud

I think the inspiration is clear, but that the Mania theme lost the "menacing" tone that existed in Sonic series. Especially in Sonic 1 and 3&K. The theme ended up going to a more cheerful side, and with a slight tone of "comedy"/"fun" to it. It isn't bad, but it's different for sure.

Really? The lead instrument used in the music? The beat and the rhythm? The overall feel of the theme - that gives that feeling of an "kinda-evil but not-really-dangerous enemy", like an incompetent/funny minion? I feel that the inspiration and likeness is immensely greater in this than in the case of the Boss's music, it's so clear that I feel that it almost pass the line between copy and inspiration (but not in a bad way).

7. We're 5 days away from getting the first true 2D Sonic game in 23 years and people are complaining about the music? Come on guys.

8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Not only that, but almost all of these complaints and criticism have come in just the past few days.

9. I guess we're just out of things to discuss. If the game was already out, I doubt anyone would be complaining about the music.

10. A week after release, I'm gonna boot up Ye Old YouTube and take a shot every time a review for Mania begins with something along the lines of: "Sonic's had a rocky past."

So I guess I'll see you all after the liver transplant.

11. Amnimator

Amnimator

As one of those guys who listen to a bunch of Sonic music on loop, Mania's music is up there with my favorites. Was a really pleasant surprise when they went back to Sonic CD EU/JP style music, something I didn't think they'd ever go back to. Been avoiding listening to the newly released tracks - gotta keep some surprises for the game. Really it comes down to taste. Much of the people who give praise to Mania's soundtrack also prefer Sonic CD's EU/JP OST over Sonic 1, 2, or 3's soundtrack. Kind of like how people to this day don't know the objective answer to Sonic 3D Blast Saturn vs Genesis/MegaDrive OST.

PS: It's not the Genesis/MegaDrive one.

12. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    It'd be funny if that one "16-bit" remix Tee Lopes teased meant they were sneaking in Genesis renditions for Mania, like everybody thought it implied. Then, a lot of y'alls complaints would be rendered moot. :v: *bricked*

I feel the same way about Mania's OST. No matter how mixed I am about Sonic CD, I still adore how lively, fast, and colorful its Japanese soundtrack was. Part of that comes from the aural fullness you can get with CD audio, versus the limitations of sound chips. (Falk's post is a good example of this.) The music they have revealed for Mania so far gives me similar vibes, and I like it. I think I'll like it more in context.

On a somewhat related note, I pre-ordered Mania last night, and I've never done this for any game on Steam before. I'm ready to be excited with the rest of you.

13. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Just a heads up, there's unboxing pics of the Collectors Edition doing the rounds currently. Some may wish to avoid these..

14. Creature SH

Creature SH

Boy oh boy, I can't wait!

[​IMG]

15. Amnimator

Amnimator

Aw, nice. Just make sure you have DirectX 3.

I've been loving these fake leaks so far.

16. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
  17. Pretend the appropriate reaction image is here.

Edit:
    That would be more than fitting, considering he did the music for the 8-bit Sonic the Hedgehog. Koshiro is an absolutely incredible composer who's worked on many fantastic franchises over the years, so I hope you go for it!

18. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    You mean this hilariously terrible and fake video?

qualityjournalism.jpg

They went that far, I'm surprised they didn't call it "8-bit" lmao

19. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    No, I mean a toy store posted unboxing pics on Twitter.

[Inspoiler]The statue and cartridge look great[/iSpoiler]

20. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I don't think anyone's worried about getting spoiled on the contents of the box. It tells you what's in the box when you pre-order it.