don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    It could be worse, he could be nitpicking specific things about the music composition lmao

3. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

4. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Yikes. That's an unpopular opinion if I've ever seen one. I mean your welcome to it, but that is more than a little extreme if you ask me.

5. So what's everyone's favorite new track so far revealed in Mania? Not counting the minor adjustments to the Act 1 returning zones, my favorite so far would have to be the theme of the hard-boiled heavies. It's just so upbeat and jazzy!

6. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    I wouldn't be so extreme towards original tracks if they didn't sound completely wrong even from the nostalgic point of view. They sound nothing like Mega Drive games' music and share little to no common spirit.
    And if to throw the nostalgic POV out of the window (which I'd do with sincere pleasure, along with the 2P mode's vertical squish, because S2's incorrect aspect ratio is so retro, even when it was fixed back in the retro era already *cough*S3*cough*), they sound overly celebrational, which I've already said in my original post.

7. Creature SH

Creature SH

They sound a lot like Sonic CD music to me. Same era.

8. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I was going to put bollocks... but, you know =P

9. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

The songs don't have to sound exactly like what the Genesis' hardware would produce. That would be dumb.
    And overly celebrational? Why is that a bad thing? This music gets people hyped to play Sonic again like they used to.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Nice! I was about to post that I was starting to miss the reveals/spoilers.

Sounds pretty cool. I'd say that it reminds me a bit of the classic "Powerhouse" tune, by the way:

EDIT:
    Yeah... I'd say the style is spot on.

11. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    It's supposed to be Saturn music

12. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    It was my impression that the OST was suppose to be more Saturn/32x Era, not Megadrive/Genesis.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yup. It wouldn't fit the 32 bit looks, otherwise.

14. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    The developers of Mania have repeatedly stated that they've been intending Sonic Mania to be like a Sega Saturn game.
    Expecting to to have Genesis/MD music is on you.

15. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Yeah it's definitely Saturn and CD inspired, and even if it wasn't, I don't see how that's a bad thing. If you really want that Genesis twang, I think Classic Sonic in Forces has you covered.

Besides, if Tee's 16 bit remix of Mirage Saloon is any indication, the songs would be just as good Genesis-styled.

16. Creature SH

Creature SH

None of this is to say that anybody is wrong to be bummed that it's not Genesis chiptune music because they would've preferred that.
    It's just very silly and misplaced to claim that the music is "wrong" when it's not something no-one promised in the first place.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    It's not like the Classic 2D games had a consistent style of music anyway. 1&2 is the exception I guess.

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    The Mini Boss theme reminds me of Robotnik's theme from AoStH.

19. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    Sharing the spirit =/= sounding like produced by the same ol' hardware. Not to mention that Sega CD and its audio capabilities have been a thing back then already.

(where's the facepalm emoticon when I need it?)
    My point above (also, once again, Sega CD, damn it), and, also, Saturn's 3D Blast music (which has been written from scratch) doesn't share the Mania's vibe either (and sounds more like Sonic CD's music, which is, ironically, a 16-bit Mega Drive's extension).

Because I would expect a music from a game inspired by old Sonic games sound like a music inspired by old Sonic games' music and not like music from the celebration party, no?

I'm currently re-listening to it, because I didn't listen to it for quite some time, but so far, despite sounding relatively upbeat (I'm talking specifically about JP/EU soundtrack, which is more upbeat than US one, therefore is supposed to be more closed in spirit to Mania's soundtrack), but it sounds more... fitting? Like, it doesn't have that annoying feeling like its composers have been high on the birthday cake. Though CD's boss music does sound relatively cheesy (like CD's bosses themselves - even their theme is laughing at them).
    (same goes for Saturn's 3D Blast music, except that its boss battles actually sound like boss battles again)

_____

> AoStH Robotnik
    This. I had to.

20. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I am in love with this soundtrack. I was super nitpicky about Studiopolis, trying to be Mr. First Year Music Major when it first came out, but I realized how dumb I was being. Every track is well composed and certainly well mixed. I'm so ready for Tuesday.