don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Super interested to see the reviews as they come in and also sales. I think if Sonic CD can reach 350K owners on Steam which is a remastered port of a twenty year old game then Sonic Mania should easily eclipse the 500K barrier in no time. Ultimately want this to be extremely successful to hopefully ensure a series.

Just under a week to go. The wait's a little agonising but the game's very close now.

2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So, I know on PS4, when you digital pre-order, and click on it, it'll tell you exactly when the game unlocks. Days, hours, minutes, seconds. I think it's with all games too. So, for the people who have it digitally pre-ordered on PS4 on here, have any of you checked. Because all it's really been is hearsay.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's cool that they got the Daytona guy to record the voices, but... isn't the delivery of those lines a bit all over the place? I mean, the "goal" voice is way too loud and, in contrast, the initial countdown sounds a bit... cohibited?

Anyway, sad to see the classic siren sound effect gone from the goal sign in vs.mode. =\

4. I just checked and I can confirm that the counter counts down to exactly midnight Eastern Time on Tuesday 8/15 - aka 9PM Pacific Time and 11PM Central Time on Monday 8/14 and 4AM UTC on Tuesday 8/15.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Speaking of Competition Mode, I'm wondering... Won't Sonic be always overpowered now, due to the new Drop Dash move?

6. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

The real MVP of the thread right here. So this definitely confirms that PS4 will launch before Steam, unless Steam updates the launch time in the next week.

7. One wonders...

....will the green and pink spheres be in the bonus stages?

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Damn son, looks like the PS4 really is getting this first. Do not underestimate the power of PlayStation. Personally I'm hoping for some release timing promo from Sega as we approach release that'll hopefully confirm the game unlocking at midnight on Steam too. Otherwise it's 6pm BST on the day. A man can dream.

9. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    I can't say I'm surprised by the two player mode. It's gonna be fun to play with my brothers like it was a decade ago. What is old and fun still is fun after all.

I do hope we get a Classic Amy reveal though. I foresee her hammer working well as an instashield (seeing how Sonic now has the dropdash).

10. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Maybe both players will be able to choose the same character? And maybe P2's will be a slightly different color?

11. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Between the Drop Dash and Elemental Shields, I can see Sonic definitely being the top tier of the bunch. But I'm sure winning is plenty possible with Tails and Knuckles.

12. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Not necessarily, the Competition Mode compares different stats like in Sonic 2. Of course, you could also argue that the Drop Dash allows Sonic to get to everything faster, but Tails and Knuckles still have more vertical maneuverability and would be able to reach paths that Sonic can't. I don't think it'll be too bad. Nothing will be worse than SA2B Amy, anyway :v:

As for Competition Mode itself, gotta say I don't really mind the aspect ratio. It just doesn't look bad to me? Idk. It's nice to have a good simplistic multiplayer mode again. I do wanna echo that I wish there was online. However, I also wanna point out Competition Mode was already mentioned on the Steam page and there was never any mention of online multiplayer, so I'm not surprised. Perhaps it could be patched, but it's an extra game mode so I'm not too put off by it. At the end of the day, I'm happy that the mode is there and it is as customizable as it was in Sonic 2 mobile. Would be also cool if you could select the same character as in Sonic 3 and Sonic 2 mobile, like sr0 mentioned.

13. Pengi

Pengi

I remember that back and forth. Really frustrating.

It would only take a few small fixes (like the ones you mentioned) to make the scoring system work. I don't understand why people were so insistent that the infinite-points sign post be kept. "Well I happen to LIKE that it's broken and purposeless and completely undermines the score feature!"

14. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Is it just me, or is the Act 1 music slightly different?

15. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Scores are neat and all, and I personally happen to like the scoring system in the older Sonic titles, but let's be real. Score has no purpose to the game whatsoever. Maybe a separate Score Attack mode would be a nice feature, or perhaps a challenge mode where you play through all the levels to see how high a score you get. But other than that, score is only there through sake of tradition. I don't think touching up the scoring mechanics of the game was on the top of the team's list anyway.

As for multiplayer, the stretched out screen never gelled with me, and while I'm not overly upset about the lack of online, it is pretty disappointing (and weird seeing how it should be very doable). BUT I'll forgive the lack of online multiplayer if we get Time Attack ghost!! :)

16. Pengi

Pengi

I don't get this. You say it doesn't serve a purpose, then you give great examples of how score could serve a purpose.

Just because a feature wasn't fully realised 25 years ago, doesn't mean it should forever remain that way. Sonic Adventure 2 was practically built around its hi-score system, so it's not even a new idea for the series. Sonic 1 on Master System made a point of totaling up your score after beating the game.

Another idea is to have the challenge mode you described (playing through all the levels consecutively) but with a single life (1-Up boxes would only award points).

I hope so. This was a secret option in Sonic R. It would be a shame if it wasn't possible for each player to be on equal footing - in Sonic 2, Sonic and Tails played identically.

Also, I completely agree with everyone hoping for a corrected aspect ratio option for 2 player mode. The squashed version serves its purpose, particularly for smaller TVs and laptops, but it would be nice to have the option to change it. Hopefully Switch will have two-system multi-player for those who want to avoid the split screen entirely.

17. A photo of an unrevealed zone (remixed, not all-new) was posted on 4chan and has since been brought up on the Sonic the Hedgehog subreddit. Of course, it's possible that the photo is fake, but in my opinion it's pretty convincing. The leaks have started. Be careful, everyone.

18. Is there anyway to track the up to date sales of this game? Other than actually playing it myself in 6 days, this is the thing I care about probably too much in my life right now.

19. Absolutely no refinement of the graphical assets though. A very lazy fake.

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The waterslide pic? Fake moit.