don't click here

Saturn USB controllers

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Sirius-R, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    (feel free to move this thread if it's in a inappropriate category)

I'm looking for a Saturn USB controller for my old-school gaming needs.
    Thing is, I'm looking particularly for a grey one.
    [​IMG]
    I can't find grey ones on ebay, and I don't want black or white one for aesthetic reasons.
    Where else can I find one? Preferably not in US, as delivering from there to Russia is quite expensive.
    Doesn't matter if it's manufactured by Sega, RetroLink or any other third-party company, as long as its gonna last long enough, I'm fine with it.

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Then it does kind of matter. The SLS ones are legit, the retro link and PlaySega ones feel really, really cheap and squeaky. This is because the SLS ones are using the exact same injection molds they used to use when they actually produced Sega Saturn controllers (and later, the PS2 saturn controllers) where the Retro Link and Play Sega ones use a similar, but very different feeling, imitation.

Unfortunately, unless you buy an SLS one boxed, you're likely not going to know it's a knock off until you have it in your hands.

3. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

I'll be frank, I'd really love a PS2 version, as I mostly do gaming on PS2. But then, their price is ridiculously high.
    (considering getting some grey Saturn controller and stuffing the guts of PS1 digital controller into it at this point)

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Yeah, perk of buying the PS2 version is that you can be assured that it's the high quality mold. I have 2 SLS controllers and one Play Sega controller, and the difference is night and day.

A cheaper alternative might be actually grabbing a mayflash Saturn to USB converter and simply using real Saturn controllers, btw.

5. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

Are non-SLS actually as bad as they feel? I'm quite low on the budget, so I'd prefer to go as cheap as possible.

At this point I may just stuff PS1 Digital pad's guts into it, removing the need in mayflash completely.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

YMMV obviously, but I think it's a pretty big difference. Like I said, they actually squeak when I use them, and the d-pad mechanism feels different and squishy, instead of tight and hard like a real saturn controller.

They also sell Saturn->PSX controller adapters. I have a pair for my PS2 Sega Ages 2500 collection, that works great.

7. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

I'm already about to order PS2->PC USB adapter for my neGcons and DualShocks; I'm not really willing to get another adapter for a controller that I'm not going to use on its native platform.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I'd love an SLS Saturn pad but looking at Ebay they're so rare they're not even on there and overpriced - they're just not on there. The Retrolink imitations are widespread and super cheap but also quite terrible as I recall. Wonder if Sega will ever produce more official SLS ones.

So I take it getting a hold of an SLS one is nigh-on impossible nowadays then?

9. My searches run up fairly dry as well. I'm intending on going the Mayflash adaptor route.

10. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    Your best bet is getting an original Saturn controller, a Retrolink USB controller, andreplace the original's PCB with the Retrolink's. The result feels just like a real one. You can also find them up for auction on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, if you're lucky. There's one auction going on right now. Note: Although they're worn out, the price is bound to go up as the last day comes close because they're the real deal.

11. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Don't ever buy Retrolink. They feel like shit and the B button caved in on me after just one hour of Twinkle Star Sprites.

I wouldn't really recommend SLS either- My SLS pad lasted 3-6 months, my original grey pad with a USB adapter is still going strong 5+ years later. I use a 4-play, and I had a Bliss-Box prior to that, but Mayflash apparently makes Saturn adapters now and I trust them.

12. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I own a legit SLS black. It was so cheap I thought I was getting a clone. I even damaged and threw away the box because I thought it was a clone for so long. It's in quite a worn condition but it still works very well. Videos on youtube easily demonstrate the flaws to the clones too and I would believe them. I do love my SLS but I have retired it before it gets further damaged.

13. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    Retrolink is bad, but the PCB itself is fine, and compatible with the original controller. I couldn't find any SLS controller for a good price, so I just did as I described in my previous post, and it worked out pretty well.

14. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Possibly dumb question but relevant to the thread but here I go: Can I use these controllers on a Genesis with an adapter? Why don't I see more controller adapters convert modern inputs into retro devices? I always find the exact opposite.

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I don't think any such adapters exist.

16. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    I just came across a similar discussion dated very recently here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268147-use-usb-gamepad-on-atari-2600/#entry3817145

My guess is I could take any of these kinds of Amiga/Atari adapters and make my own DB9 conversion cable from a spiced Megadrive extension cable.

17. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

The only instances of controllers from newer consoles being usable on older consoles I know are:
    - Sega Genesis/Mega Drive controller on Atari 2600
    - Sony DualShock 2 on PS1
    - Sony DualShock 3 and 4 on PS2 (via unofficial ELF patch)
    - Sony DualShock 4 on PS3 (via PS3's firmware update)
    Not to mention that only the first two cases involve actual protocol compatibility. Any other case would require an adapter. And I don't see production of modern controller adapters for older consoles gaining much profit, as retro gamers in general prefer controllers from older consoles.

18. baraksha

baraksha

Israel
    Long ago I already got my my hands on MayFlash Megadrive Controller adapter for Real Megadrive controllers. I like it, but I bough it mostly because of Sonic Mania and I recently came to the conclution.....WHY DIDN'T I BOUGHT A SATURN CONTROLLER INSTEAD?!, seriously the more I look at Mania the more it feels like a lost Saturn Game. in game 3D Polygonal models for the special stages?, sprites that are slightly more colorful then what the Megadrive is capable and the most Satrun thing of all , Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's voice is in the game.
    Oh well Tometo Tomato I guess, this adapter still will work fine enough, I mean Saturn's controller isn't to different from megadrive's anyways and I still find it useful.

19. luluco

luluco

Brazil
    I've had a Retrolink black one for nearly an year now and I personally have had no problems with it, I mostly use it for MegaDrive emulation though.
    I guess the d-pad feels a bit mushy, but it's miles better than a 360 d-pad that's for sure.

In your situation I'd look into seeing if the original Saturn controller has the same overall internal structure as USB alternatives, if so then you could just swap the internals of the controller and get a gray USB controller.

There's a Mayflash adapter available too, of course, as others mentioned.

20. Pengi

Pengi

Mega Drive controllers will also work on a Master System.

And a Master System controller will work on Atari 2600 as well.