don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    My thoughts exactly! Still looks cool though!

2. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    32X box art, no?

3. That's not a Saturn jewel case. :colbert:

4. I don't understand the backlash from this. I'll agree that I didn't phrase it the best, but I'm just restating what we all must be thinking. Sonic Team has tried several times to replicate the good ol genesis days with Sonic 4 and Classic Sonic's portion of Generations. They didn't come even close to capturing the magic of the genesis games (even though Classic Sonic in Generations can stand on its own). Now, it's like the Mania team descended from hedgehog heaven and said "Here numb nuts, here's how you fucking do it" and it shows.

I merely intended to put in perspective how Sega's established veteran developers are being massively upstaged by people who started out as simple fans with not much experience but aspired to make a positive difference and through that volition, made it a golden reality.

I meant no disrespect- quite the opposite. I've laid out my true feelings and admiration. Do not mince my words. And do not jump down my throat claiming I seek to disrespect everyone as if you represent some kind of authority on online posting.

5. serpx

serpx

Speaking of the Saturn -- for those with the technical knowledge -- would it be possible to make Sonic Mania playable on an actual SEGA Saturn? Since it was designed to run on Saturn specs?

I would highly consider dusting out the Saturn if it's do-able. Would be sick.

6. urlogic

urlogic

That won't happen unless Taxman and Stealth port it themselves, which I doubt they'd do.

7. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    While stylistically it's modeled after a Saturn game, the engine is designed for a more modern workflow, so we'd basically have to do a lot of code and asset rejiggering if we actually wanted the game to run on a Saturn. Might be a fun personal challenge one day if/when Saturn development becomes possible without burning a load of CDs :v:

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    *whistle*

http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/hardware-review-rhea-phoebe-sd-card-enabled-sega-saturn-cd-drive-replacement.html

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/

Sonic Mania's team is not made up of amateurs. Many people on the team have multiple published titles under their name. They have plenty of experience.

9. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Personally I'm hanging out for Dr Abrasive's amazing VCD card mod, since it's plug and play.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Mmhmm, been watching that one too. But the above is available occasionally if you can't wait. I've been trying to order one of their GDrom readers but apparently just missed an order date by a week or so.

11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I really don't think Sonic Team feels upstaged or embarrassed,nor should they. It's a win-win situation for them: They can keep the diehard fans happy and be free to work on more unique projects of their own. The quality of those projects may not always be high but it's less creatively limiting than "make it exactly like the old games". For the Mania team working on a classic game is a dream come true, For your average person at Sonic Team that's not necessarily true.

12. A few more thoughts...

I think Sonic Retro should have a new member category for those involved in Mania's development, along with Ruby and Gene. You know, so it's easier for the rest of us to worship them, or something.

Now, something I'm slightly concerned about is that the PC port of Mania could be kind of... well, shitty. For both Generations and CD '11, adjusting resolution and window mode could only be done through an external config tool. Then Generations assumed you were using an Xbox controller when it came to in-game hints, regardless of what you were actually using, and CD '11 had problems with fullscreen alt-tabbing and disables my keyboard volume control for whatever reason. Here's hoping Mania functions like a proper PC game rather than just a PC "port".

13. EonGenesis

EonGenesis

I can only guess if someone already asked this question, but is it possible that there would be any type of modding support like steam workshop or even a pc modding program similar to SonicGMI in the future? I'd love to see mods like hyper sonic or even a super peel out If it's not already present in the game.

14. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

brb making quality box art mockup

15. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Speaking of GD Rom stuff, I went with 'USB-GD Rom', which is very comparable to GDEmu. http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

No soldering needed thankfully, you just unplug the Disc drive and shove the USB-GD Rom in. It was a bit of a pain to order though since it involved sending an email to the guy and then just waiting a few weeks before he sent a Paypal invoice. Either way, it's been working a treat and I've been using it to play the wonderful Shenmue Undub with a Dreamcast that no longer sounds like a jet-engine.

(Also, Saturn Emulation seems... surprisingly playable on Retroarch now? Not sure when that happened. I've been running Sonic 3D Blast full speed on it (including special stages, which blew my mind). so that's an achievement. Of course, accuracy under the bonnet is probably non-existent but the fact things run at all is impressive)

16. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I just thought of something by the way, we know that Sonic uses his saturn model for the special stages. If we were to hack Mania to put Metal Sonic or Amy in, for example, would it be simple to mod in the Saturn models from Sonic R? No idea how difficult that would be.

BTW guys, you won't believe this, but I actually have an early development build of Sonic Mania :specialed: ! My dad's uncle knows Christian Whitehead and he thought I was cool and said "play the game, you're gonna be stoked". So here's a totally real and not dreadfully faked image of Knuckles in the Special Stage!

[​IMG]

Spoilers guys, the final boss of Sonic Mania is actually Michael Jackson with Brad Buxer, and when you beat him you unlock Sonic 3 remastered! I hope you guys can't wait for August 15th!

17. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

Does anybody have the clean version of the picture from CE's box? Or at least just the background? It would fit the US box art mockup so nicely if not the logos plastered over it and if it was in at least a bit larger resolution.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The final boss is actually the Michael Jackson estate and you have to fight hoards of lawyers.

This is only for Sonic and Tails though. Knuckles' final boss is actually Ken Penders flying around in a not Star Trek ship

19. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    That's a big reward. Sounds like that boss is gonna give people some Hard Times