don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Err. the Past ver. stems are easily accessible as it was ripped onto vgz format some years ago.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I do see where you're coming from. I had similar thoughts whilst imagining the track playing over the level to which we have seen footage - Act 1 does strike me as a leisurely and slower-paced affair so in that respect the track would suit the level's pace - so I do see what you mean and you might be right.

I just meant that I wasn't blown away by Tee Lopes' version whilst I was by the original compositions in Sonic CD.

3. urlogic

urlogic

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but why are a lot of the game grumps in the special thanks for this game? What did Arin Hanson and Barry Kramer do?

4. That song is gorgeous, and I don't find it to be too slow. It has a tempo and quality similar to Hydrocity imo, with its laidback jazz leanings. Although I would like a more energetic mix, which I'm sure we'll get as the act 2 mix.

Also, color me in on team "Hydrocity isn't in." Midio surely knew what he was doing when he uploaded that. He surely anticipated that people would be paying attention. Then he replaced Hydrocity with Flying Battery to really fuel the fire. It's a red herring imo, getting people to believe that Hydrocity is in so that when Ice Cap is revealed it comes as an even bigger surprise. Either that or its just simply unrelated to Mania proper.

5. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    The song almost sounds like it would fit in a Tidal Tempest / Stardust Speedway crossover level. Have we definitely seen Act 1 of Stardust yet?

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    So, the current level selection is:

Returning zones:

Green Hill
    Chemical Plant
    Hidrocity (70% chance based on Mido's illustration)
    Flying Battery
    Stardust Speedway
    ??? (S3D?)
    ??? (S4??)

New zones:

Studiopolis
    Mirage Saloon
    Snow-themed level (Referenced on the Manual)
    Catedral Leve (Screenshot no evento)
    ???? (probably something lava-related)

Final level (extra):
    ???

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Whoops, that slipped my mind on the Past version. I guess that begs the question: why go full original? It's not bad, it just seems to break the flow of the Act 1 remix styles we've heard so far.

8. @Master Emerald
    The snow level referenced in the manual appears to be the same as the "cathredal level." I also wouldn't jump the gun on Hyrdocity just yet. (Though I do agree that the post could lend credence to it being in, but as I noted above, I still don't believe its in.)

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's mainly social media stuff - frankly considering the shitting on the franchise Arin in particular has done I wouldn't have thought he should be included but hey, maybe they've been doing things behind the scenes we simply haven't seen. Either way you can't deny the Grumps have had a lot of interaction with the Sonic Twitter this year.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

What's with everyone's fixation on IceCap? Is it that people really want to hear a Tee Lopes remix of its track, or they just love that stage for some reason?

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

12. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    They just want to hear a Tee Lopes remix. Which already exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT_b3YU8SRk

Here you go everyone, you can be happy now and let us have a better S3 Zone :P

(Thankfully Hydrocity seems to be in).

13. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I think most people just expect there to be a zone for each element and instead of realizing that there is already a hinted at original snow zone, they're wishing for the iconic Ice Cap Zone.

edit: god dammit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77a1MCusgoA

14. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    ^ lmao, that Fresh Prince mashup was mad fast.

This track is the most obvious example of Falk's input as a sound mixer for this game--this sits perfectly with the compositions Falk composed in his Sonic Before/After the Sequel soundtracks.

Really love the overhauled composition here. The jazz / R&B influences make the track.

15. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    I don't get it... :(

16. I remember the days when I couldn't get past that accursed barrel room in Carnival Night Zone, Act 2. I knew that Snowboarding would be in the next level, Ice Cap Zone, Act 1. Snowboarding was a big promotional thing for Sonic 3 and it looked as pretty as hell. But I needed to beat this barrel... maybe if I pressed jump harder and faster...

You had to earn Ice Cap back in the day. EARN IT.

But yeah snowboarding and music, thats pretty much it.

Edit: One thing I remember in Sonic 3 Ice Cap and it wasnt in Sonic 3 and Knuckles Ice Cap was that the water sapped one ring a second when you entered it. Have I remembered that right or was that a fever dream?

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

It's a reference to the original Stardust Speedway Past.

18. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Honestly I'm still not convinced we're only having one representation of each Classic game in Mania. We know the ratio is 60/40, but we also know it's comprable to S3&K. In order to be the former with only one throwback zone per game, it would mean we would only have roughly 2 original zones to keep with that ratio, which we already know is not accurate because 7 zones would not be the equivalent of S3&K length-wise, and due to the fact there's already at least two more Mania-original zones in the leaked Cathedral level (as long as it's not an interior of Stardust Speedway Good Future), the hinted at sky level from SxSW and the new ice level hinted at in the SDCC manual. That would put the ratio at 50/50, which we know will not be the case.

Basically yeah, we HAVE to have at least 2 zones represented from each existing game to actually achieve both a 60/40 ratio and a length equivalent to S3&K. Which would bring us to a total of 14 to 16 total zones. 10 throwbacks and between 4-6 originals.

19. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    That is, of course, assuming that all the classic games represented have EQUAL representation, which IIRC has never been confirmed.