don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Felik

Felik

Looking at the toxicity of the comments in this thread makes me almost want Forces to demolish Mania at sells.

Yes, it very well can turn out to be a piece of crap. It also quite likely can be a very descent game.

Time will show.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean I think it looks fun. I don't think it looks as good as Mania, but I think it'll be a fun romp.

Looks more fun than Lost World anyway and I enjoyed that a bit at least.

3. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I'm more worried of them having finished the game by then than its sales competition. :v:

Although judging by how all over the place the marketing has been so far I'm not sure a delay would help much either.

4. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    This tempered, dare I say forced, optimism can be best characterized as some perverted mixture of both Stockholm syndrome and the soft bigotry of low expectations. Personally, I'm conflicted in that I want a good game to be recognized as such, but even if Forces was merely another anomalous "decent" Sonic game, it will only preclude the transformation the series desperately needs.

EDIT: This really was not directed at Felik personally, I get what he's saying. I just used his words as it relates to similar sentiments.

5. Felik

Felik

This thread is cancer. I'm done with it until the release.
    In the end of the day Sonic Team is not taking feedback from this thread. SEGA, and by extension Sonic Team, only cares about money and by extension Sonic Team. Not that it's a good thing (it's a terrible thing, really) but sells will tell whether Forces is a success or a failure.
    I'm buying Sonic Forces on day one because the game looks fun enough to throw some money at it.

Stockholm syndrome? Fucking really? Who do you think I am? SammyClassicFan?

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Apparently you didn't see my edit made 24 minutes prior to your post, but I clarified I wasn't directing my comments to you personally. I'm aware you're a straight shooter, not some Sammy. But, I guess you're not going to read this anyway.

7. Amnimator

Amnimator

I want Sonic Forces to do well; I want it to be a good game. The thing is that it's competing with so much at its potential release date, "decent" doesn't cut it. It needs to be good, great, awesome, outstanding, or amazing, or you'll likely be hard pressed to push much of a profit past release. Much of people's issues with this game go back to the conceptual stage, but delaying it can really, really help. Short term pain, long term gain as they say. Many complaints come from physics jank, or the level design not feeling super satisfactory. These are both things they can fix if they choose to delay the game, although they miss the holiday release window.

On a sheer business standpoint, there's no reason why Sonic Forces will fail in sales. It has a character creator, Modern Sonic, and Classic Sonic. There's no reason why this game wouldn't sell. But that's if you look at it nothing more than face value, and it worries me if that's what they rely the game to sell itself on. The marketing hasn't been all that great either.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I imagine there will be a greater marketing push once Mania is out and has been settled. I can't say for sure of course but I wouldn't be surprised if Manias delay presented a headache for the marketing team. Mania should have been our by now and they could have been pushing Forces now, but instead they're both in the spot light which dilutes the focus and also presents the opportunity for comparison.

I don't think Mania is doing this game any favors honestly.

9. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    For the sake of clarity, and it being a slow day, I've taken the liberty of drawing a very crude chart to illustrate why some of us want Forces to fail. It's about sending a message to Sega and restoring Sonic to greatness. It's about momentary displeasure for the sake of a positive future, not an incessant Sonic cycle. Sega only listens to short term profits, so if Forces is merely another "decent" game, it won't instigate any real changes with their current approach. It's not about being "cancer", it's about cutting cancer. Being a Sonic fan has been pretty awful over the last 15 or so years, and this illustrates why. Obviously this chart is intended to convey a general truth, and to that end is accurate while not precise. Now I'm sure the peanut gallery will do there best to poke holes in this, but the underlying truth is undeniable.

[​IMG]
    imageupload

10. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Exactly! And that's why Sonic games mostly suck. When they do listen to people from this thread we get things like Mania.

11. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    Sure, I won't buy Forces on day one, but I sincerely hope it's gonna be a good game, as it introduces plenty of ideas I'm highly fond of.
    I will pass my final judgement only after I'll play it, because judging how the game is going to play by YouTube videos is ridiculous.
    But so far, I like pretty much everything about it (except the same complaint I had for Generations - sure, I don't mind two gameplay styles for Sonic, but dividing him intwo two characters for the sake of it is stupid), PR company or not. Even Infinite the Edgelord (well, I'd say he at least gives an impression of someone who's actually dangerous to fuck with) and his extremely cheesy and edgy theme (I blame Jun for this one, there's no song he touched I didn't like).

And it's based on what?

12. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork

Honestly, I don't intend to get into one of these fart-fests where everybody starts citing sales figures, and then that morphs into a disagreement about historical contexts, and no one uses common sense, etc.. My garbage chart points out that which should be common knowledge, apply it to critical review scores, or contextual sales figures, or brand recognition and public regard, it fits the bill more or less. This is merely a crude visual representation of the reason that every media article we read about the series begins with, "Sonic's fall from grace..." and we can't always blame it on clickbait websites, or a biased press. I was just trying to make something quick, and would prefer to leave values out because it just muddies the waters enough that no one can see clearly, and arguments are made that fly in the face of reason, and it becomes a nerd pissing match. Point is, if you are a fan of the series from its beginning, as I am, then you have lived through this. The assumption made on this chart, for which I plead guilty as charged, is the credit Mania is given when it has yet to release and finds itself in a footing and media landscape unrecognizable from its predecessors. Obviously Mania can't single handedly right all the wrongs of the last 2 decades, yet it appears to be a solid A+ on an otherwise C- report card.

13. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Had anyone noticed how Infinite's logo has changed between the e3 trailer and now?

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Wrong topic, you're supposed to talk about how the game suck and is going to fail and sonic team should be fired and mania is perfection.

(but seriously yes, it does seem like the logo changed.)

15. I don't actually want "Modern" Sonic to die in this apparent death match between ye olde skool and da nu sheet.

The only 3D Sonic I truly hated was Sonic 2006 and if they finished that game I probably would have enjoyed most of it. I mean sure, they are all flawed and make bizarre choices at times but I liked them. Apart from Lost World 3DS. That game can eat all the varieties of rotting genitalia. That game was the first time I remember actually throwing a controller/handheld down.

Overall there are some things I like about Forces and some things I don't.

One thing I gotta ask, why are Knuckles and Silver on the goodies side? Actually even further than those Blaze, Rouge, Jet, Wave and Storm... If Infinite/Robotnik is possessing all the old bad guys/Rivals, why not get em all. Lets ignore the whole Blaze/Silver alternate dimension, ruined future thing.

16. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Knuckles being a villain might ruin the whole circle of friends Sonic has. Im pretty sure Blaze got shoehorned into the main series for that reason.

Plus when you go about, none of them were evil. They had noble intentions but went about it the wrong way. Shadow wanted to destroy humanity because he forgot what his dead best friend said.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Metal Sonic and Zavok are evil though. Chaos and Shadow were misguided

18. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    So does anyone have any OC's in particular that they want to recreate? I could be persuaded to pick up this game used if I could make Sonichu, he's bad ass!

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yup. Idk how versatile the editor is, but I'm going to try to recreate my old character Dark Sonic. A black Sonic with green shadow stripes, a tank top, skinny jeans, spiked wrist bands, and fingerless gloves...

I might update the clothing a bit :v:

20. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Silver never did anything he did in Sonic '06 out of malice. You COULD say that Shadow was in SA2. Hard to call Silver a villain.