don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I can't even hate this. Definite step up from Fist Bump.

But. So. Cheesy.

Also, looking at that one scene at the end of the trailer, looks like the return of the Lost World art style if it wasn't apparent from City Heights

2. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Sweet fucking lord. I cannot tell if this is a parody. I'm bailing, but will stick around long enough to see the crash.

3. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

Oh, so Sonic Team DID just decide to wallow in the shit.

Count me in, is there a diving board I can use?

Like, how can you not respect them going full retard so hard?

4. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Eugh... :ohdear:/>/>

Well I don't hate the music track. It's not bad but...really? Y'know, even if they managed to pull this off, and he was edge-y in the ironic way, that wouldn't exactly make it better. I don't get this whole embrace the cheese essence that everyone keeps pushing. How is being cheesy and meta actually doing Forces any favors. See, I like Platinum games stuff because it is Cheesy and edge-y. It holds a certain charm that really helps the over the top presentation. But the thing is, Platinum's shit doesn't stink. Their games are almost always really fun. Someone made a post a while back where they mentioned that playing up the cheesy nature of Sonic's past would only work well if the games put in the effort to subvert it. Prove that there is more to Sonic than the reputation it's built up over the years. This could be their chance to prove that they can tell a story that's pretty decent and not overly cartoony schlock. Gameplay that's pretty solid and fun, without the need for crutches and over reliance on supplementary garbage. It could have been the chance to turn Modern Sonic back into somewhat of a respectable character, especially with the whole, "Sonic game for everyone", excuse Iizuka has been so keen on telling the media. It'd be cool, and a bit clever, if it were cheesy and they get it. Like they know it's stupid, but they're playing it up for the hell of it. But the rest of the presentation's gotta demonstrate that. So far all the signs are pointing towards this being another "okay" game with some pretty meh gameplay, and a ridiculous story.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This hodgepodge is brilliant. It's all over the place and edgy.

They should just call it Sonic Forces Adventure 3

6. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

One thing that's been missed: Jun Senoue is credited as the guitarist.

He's back bitches. Lets hope he composed too.

7. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Finally, Sonic is edgy again!

Seriously though, I hope the gameplay is top notch, because the music and plot aren't looking too promising so far.

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

TBH Platinum games are fun to play because of their gameplay but most if their edginess is not charming at all. They also have questionable song choices such as "play my ass off."

Though, Bayonetta 1&2 is probably the only thing they managed to have a great balance of edginess, charm and class.

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well, that depends on whether "literally Generations with a kind-of ok third style" appeals to you.

10. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    You'll notice I said that's why I like them. The point is, that bullshit doesn't matter because the main game is still fun. If it's edge-y and a garbage game where is the substance?

11. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    OW

THE EDGE

Not a good look guys. But what else should we have expected from Shun Nakamura?

12. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    It's horrible. It's beautiful. It's a mess. I love it. If Mania is 90's nostalgia, Forces is pure early 2000. I need to write about this on my Myspace page now!

13. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I'm legit starting to believe Forces is supposed to be a parody of some sort. It's becoming surreal at this point.
    Like, "I am the sharpest of blades I'll cut you down in a second", or "I'm the roughest of waves, I'm the darkest of days". How can this not be a parody.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Just like with how Iizuka has no idea the actual reasons behind why fans like Classic Sonic, he also has no idea what fans liked about the Adventure titles, so he settled on "dark."

I mean, 90% of Adventure fans have no idea either, so this is actually kind of working for them. But hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

EDIT: And again, that last song is kinda working for me too....

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean idk, this seems about as Adventury as it gets, only with gameplays that make more sense in a Sonic context (Note I did not imply that they played better, just that they made more sense then, say, fishing or mechs). Add a chao garden and emblems and boom, Adventure 3.

16. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    Fun fact, if you look for the people in this thread that are leveling serious critisisms at the cheesy edgehog, you'll find a strong correlation with eye-color and shoe tread whiners.

The plot is literally "Sonic and friends confront a grim dark villain with a sharp cool name who's faster amd stronger than our hero and has a team of prior big bads, so they need the help of YOUR OC donut steel to shift the balance and save the day". This is so much a parody of the greater portion of the fanbase that if you fail or refuse to see it that way, you can legally be classified a fake Sonic fan. And if you take offense to that, tch!

[Inspoiler]Nothing personal, kid.[/iSpoiler]

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Honestly can't disagree with your logic. That said, I feel like the Adventure titles relience on mostly butt rock saved it from being too try hard, but utilizing nu metal and borderline metalcore for the core tracks in Forces... I don't know, feels like they're overreaching.

But I actually DO like metalcore to a degree, so I don't feel 100% negative about it.

Forces is extremely conflicting for me :P

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While the themes seem to be all over the place, there is kind of a pattern to them that goes back to the SA2 musical approach. Each character had their own kind of sound. Sonic had buttrock, Tails had soft rock, Knuckles had rap, Shadow had like electronic rock or something, Rouge had a kinda Jazzy feel, and Eggman had... well a kinda rock that was similar to Tails but a little more electronic sounding. They were more similar than the theme types we have in this game but there were differences. This game just takes it further. Modern Sonic seems to have a rock style similar to the Adventure titles, Classic Sonic has that synthy chip tune stuff, and Original the Character has auto tune pop. Then they gave the villain Metal core.

19. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Rubyeclipse already said the game won't have a Chao garden :(

20. Finally, a tease into the new locations we'll be seeing besides Green Hill and Park Avenue. I like Infinite's theme a lot- I've really missed the hard rock/heavy metal pieces that used to be commonplace in the franchise. Song feels right out of 2006.

Edit: I don't know what kind of weird coincidence this is, but the connections some of you have been making between Infinite's theme and Linkin Park is jarring considering that just recently it's been reported that one of the members of that band has been found dead due to suicide.