don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I'm down for everything, given there is some online multiplayer in the game. Was any of that confirmed?

Damn you guys with your semesters :P here in Argentina we have quarters, and in my college particularly, next one starts on August 8th. Fucking unlucky.

2. Count me in for any multiplayer shenanigans!

I have a half day on the 15th as the Xbox Store said I can't actually run the game until 4pm but then I put in for a day off on the 16th so once I start I don't have to stop! Fully intend to spend most (more likely all) of the 15th playing and then pretty much all day on the 16th.

This makes me happy. I was gutted I missed the Studiopolis shirt so hopefully there will be some other cool ones in the run up. I would also love for them to release some posters, the ones they gave out as part of promotion events are amazing and I am so jealous. I have genuinely considered paying the extortionate prices on eBay for them.

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I'm literally going to refresh Steam around midnight when it's about to drop, download it so hard, and play to my heart's content to completion, Sonic old-school style. Did that with Sonic 3, Sonic Adventure 2 - pretty much every major Sonic release. Still remember it being about 2:00am and falling asleep at Pumpkin Hill from SA2 all the way back in 2001.

Supposed to be both Forces and Mania news at the event this weekend, and we're well under a month to go now. It's coming soon!

4. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Wow. I feel like I'm letting the team down now. I'm not actually going to start the game on the Tuesday, but instead wait and dedicate the whole weekend to a Mania playthrough!

My weekdays are normally choc-a-bloc and I don't want to ruin my hot date with Sonic Mania by trying to multi-task it with work and early nights. Nope. Instead I'm gonna wait until Friday night, and go to town on the game and hopefully come out the end of Sunday a new man!

Did the same with Generations and it worked a treat. If I'd tried to play it on launch day, I would've had to cut the fun short and drag myself away from the game. Waiting until I had no commitments the next day was the SPICY POINT. Felt good, man.

(yes, staying away from spoilers is going to be a nightmare come launch week... ouch)

5. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I've had an odd half-day of holiday hanging around for a while now as I had to unexpectedly take half a day off at short notice earlier in the year. So I've booked it in for the day after Mania comes out. Been burned before by taking days off for game releases only for them not to be delivered / put up for download until quite late in the day - this way I know I'll have the game for sure by the time my time off starts...! = P

6. Flygon

Flygon

So, given we're all pretty sure that the engine probably supports non-60Hz refresh rates (Didn't we get some kind of a confirmation of this?...), I'm curious how the heck a 120-144Hz Sonic game will actually play.

Though, I can't actually remember my source on who actually confirmed the engine does support higher refresh rates.

7. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Don't know who would've said that. Sonic Mania runs at 60Hz

That's even part of the marketing :P

8. Flygon

Flygon

Right! I figured my memory must've been way rough, hahaha.

A bit of a shame. Running above 60Hz is an even cooler marketing claim than 'just' 60Hz!

9. Managed to avoid the new trailers & this thread (for the past month) so I'm going in fresh!

Taking day off, buying lots of junk food & beer, gonna be good

Back into hiding I go...

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    As a kid I remember sitting on the floor with a pillow tucked under my elbow, playing the crap out of the classic Sonic games on a kick ass 25 inch CRT TV. I can still remember the new plastic smell when opening the cartridge boxes for the first time.
    I think I had more fun sitting on the floor at my grandparents house, than at my own house here in the present. Sure I have a huge ass 75 inch Samsung 4K TV with HDR, dolby atmos surround sound system and nice comfy real leather couch.
    But Its just not the same experience on this kind of modern set up. Maybe I'm too nostalgic, or perhaps the CRT screen makes the classic games feel a little more warm?

I may end up going out to search for an old TV from around 1994 or so just to play Mania.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So, question to anyone who's more aware of these things then I am. Would a Saturn controller hooked up to a USB converter work on the PS4? I ordered the collectors edition for the PC and I digitally preorded the PS4 version, so while I'd like to play the PC version first due to the controller, I'm guessing I'll be able to play the PS4 version first.

12. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Whilst the PS3 was quite open to plugging in other USB (or Bluetooth) devices, I know the PS4 is a lot stricter.
    I remember reading a bit about it a while back when I was looking into which USB fight sticks would work natively on PS4. Sadly nothing really does unless it has very specific PS4 drivers. Thankfully (for fighting games at least), devs like to include 'Legacy' support for PS3 and certain USB controllers, sweet.

I can't give the definite answer as I'm only speaking from the fight stick angle of it, but I'm 99% sure that unless Mania itself has an option for non PS4 controllers, anything that isn't PS4 signed will just be ignored.

A good alternative might be the Guilty Gear Xrd fight pad, which has a Saturn-ish layout and is PS4 compatible, but not sure how easy they are to get hold of.
    http://segabits.com/blog/2014/08/19/arc-system-works-limited-edition-guilty-gear-xrd-pad-looks-familiar/

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    You might be thinking of a stream a few weeks ago where Aaron said it runs at a higher framerate than the classics. However, this was because he mistakenly said the originals ran at 30, not that Mania runs higher than 60.

14. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    On the subject of controllers, I'm not the sort to do anything fancy or special to replicate the Genesis controller, but I intend on purchasing a pro-controller for the Switch to use with Mania. Can anyone with a Switch pro-controller provide their opinion as to whether this will work well for Mania?

15. RibShark

RibShark

The D-Pad is pretty iffy, as in, it will often register diagonal inputs when you intend to, for example, just press left or right. The upcoming Hori Pro Controller might be a better choice.

16. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

For Mania it will probably not make a huge difference over using the controller-clip-thing imo.

17. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    [​IMG]

Rehosted to imgur, since that site blocks hotlinks.

18. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Daaamn, that thing looks nice. I kinda want one even though I already have a normal pro controller.

19. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I know what it looks like, to me it looks as though the D-pad is waaaay over, and comparatively the buttons are really high. So I was hoping someone could shed some light on their experience and how they think it will work with Mania. Good, bad, awkward, etc...

20. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Rocking my badass £15 Logitech hybrid PlayStation/Xbox controller with an amazing "did you find this in a bin?" DPAD. Cause that's how I roll.

Seriously though it's a good 2D game controller. Tested it with a few games. Comfortable to hold. Don't think Mania needs anything super special, just a decent pad for 2D games for controlling Sonic. Thank God the system requirements are also toaster level, since my "Jesus was alive when it was released" laptop will still be able to run it.

Can't believe we're like, three and a half weeks away.