don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I haven't liked any vocal theme in a Sonic game after Shadow The Hedgehog, and Ihat game's soundtrack. Dreams Of An Absolution was a partial exception to this because I heard it without playing Sonic '06, so I felt as unrelated to Sonic games, and I got bored of it quickly. I don't see very much difference in style between His World, Endless Possibility, Reach For The Stars and this Fist Bump thing; this last one may be worse in quality, but doesn't get my out of my nerves as much as the other ones, it feels to me like something in between those eras.

2. Oh sure, you guys complain about this theme and all, but you just wait till 5 years from now when the next sonic game is announced along with its main theme, "Ass Clap", and then you'll all come running back to this one. :v:

3. Why are there folks defending this so adamantly? It's an odd choice of music, but if you like it that's cool. For those of us that don't though, we really don't. There won't be some resurgence of this song in five years for me certainly, just like there hasn't been for any of the older 3D themes outside of the Adventure series.

I'd also like to further the notion that Hideki Naganuma would surely have come up with something better. Something better with energy.

Perhaps this ought to go in its own thread or something, but I'm now curious to know what everyone actually wants from Sonic music.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean what people want with Sonic music falls under the same umbrella of what people want with Sonic games in that it's a very loaded question. I could go on about what I personally want (a better version of this game without Original the Character and music that was more in line with what was given in Unleashed and Colors), but back to the defensiveness of this song, we haven't had a vocal theme since Colors, and that was 6 years ago at this point, so I think some people just want the music to be good. Hearing otherwise upsets them, although a lot of the time defensiveness comes from denial.

Personally I don't think this song is bad, but it's not great, and I can see why people don't like it. I certainly preferred the instrumental version.

5. It's really just unfortunate that we haven't heard from any of the other really good Wave Master composers like Tokoi and Kumatani in a long ass time. It would really blow if Ohtani was either the only one assigned to work with Sonic Team or that he's the only one they're willing to spend money on. I guess Lost World could be forgiven since Sega just wanted to push that game out to fulfill their contract with Nintendo, but they shouldn't be skimping on a full-blown brand new console Sonic game.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Wave Master is made of sega employees, no? So it's not a money-driven problem. Maybe the other composers are working on other things/left sega. Naofumi Hataya made the boss theme.

7. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they left, as a quick look at VGMdb says Tokoi and Kobayashi's last original work was on a PSO2 soundtrack in 2015 and Kumatani's last original work was in like 2012.

8. Wave Master certainly is Sega, so no struggle there. However, sadly I don't believe Fumie Kumatani (the best) is with Wave Master anymore. It looks like Kenichi Tokoi is credited for the title theme for Rio 2016, but perhaps that was just someone reworking his old material? Since I had thought he had moved on also.

9. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Well, we know that Naofumi Hataya has done at least one track for Forces: The Egg Dragoon boss theme.
    ...Which I'm not actually a fan of. It's surprising since pretty much all of Hataya's tracks since Sonic CD have been great.

10. isisdazs

isisdazs

OH NO Member
    middle america
    working on an album, currently
    I don't mind the theme song. There are more jarring pairings in vocalist + music for theme songs, like "Seven Rings In Hand" and "Endless Possibilities." This isn't amazing, but it's not too bad, either.

Who knows, maybe it's a sneak-peak into the newest side-series: Sonic the Antifa.

11. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I hate the theme song and I also love it and I hate myself for loving it

if that makes any sense at all

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's me with virtually every Sonic theme ever.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I've been really turned away by every ounce of gameplay that Forces has shown off, but the music's all really grown on me. Green Hill, Park Avenue, and Fist Bump. It just works for me, I guess. Shit's comfy.

14. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Honestly, the only part of the music I dislike is the fact that the vocalist in Fist Bump seems to go off-key a bit, but yeah, I'm sincerely loving the musical style they've gone with, it's so deliciously poppy :specialed:

15. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    According to Hideki Naganuma, both he and Fumie Kumatani left SEGA in 2008. So the chances of them making music for a new Sonic game in the future are pretty much non existent, unless SEGA go out of their way to hire them.

16. Yeah, even though she left in 2008 she did some stuff for Sonic Colors a few years later, which likely means Kumatani simply left Wave Master but didn't cut ties off with Sega. Naganuma can easily tell you how Sega will refuse to ever work with you again if you leave their little sphere of influence.

+ - rip sonic's music variety  

17. Linkabel

Linkabel

Apart from the development skills of Sonic Team, I wonder if the game's budget was also an issue. This game started development around Rise of Lyric's $20 million blunder and the restructuring of Sega, didn't it?

The game reeks of reusing as much as they could to save money and even the 25th celebrations were lackluster compared to the ones from the 20th anniversary. Obviously money isn't everything since Mania it's smaller and it's doing better at what it wants.

But even then I wonder if Mania would've been greater if Sega had more resources to throw at it (that is if ROL did have an effect on the budget the Sonic brand gets).

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I seriously doubt SEGA is too stupid to realize that they were fully at fault for that game's failure.

19. Linkabel

Linkabel

I mean, I'm sure they realize that they are fault for that. But what I'm arguing is what if the financial disaster of RoL had an impact on the 25th anniversary, Forces and Mania and how exactly those projects got affected.

20. HelenBaby

HelenBaby

I got to try Sonic Forces at Nintendo HQ earlier this week. I included some footage in the Youtube video I put together : https://youtu.be/a6-m8zFTiuk

The game itself was kind of meh. I didn't see anything in the demo I hadn't seen before tbh!