don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Amnimator

Amnimator

People are mainly complaining about them using the boost formula again because this game looks closer to a regression in the gameplay. They remove quickstep and drifting, inherent parts of the formula there since it's introduction. The whole reason boost Sonic controls so badly is so much of the challenge comes in maneuvering Sonic, eg.) quick step and drifting. The animations as well as player control also happen to look noticeably more stiff than Unleashed, Colors, or Generations.

People are mainly complaining about the custom character because it doesn't really add anything to the game. It's just kind of there and looks cheap in a R&D standpoint.

People are mainly complaining about Green Hill because it's basically Generations Green Hill but worse, meanwhile Mania has a remix of Green Hill with its own set of tropes. People also complained about Green Hill in Mania, just not to the same extent because it's not as bad of an offender.

People are mainly complaining about them not changing the boost mechanics too much because we got 3 3D boost games with very small changes in the formula. Most here also agreed boost gameplay has potential, they're just not reaching it.

Don't take this personally, but don't try to attach connotations to genuine critique people have about this game and assume you know their motive. If there's one guy that doesn't like the music of this game, doesn't mean they really want that nostalgia pandering. They could genuinely not like the music, which isn't surprising because the music in Sonic Forces is a much different style than previous games. Ohtani has a large variety of styles in his belt.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ Can't confirm the drift but I'm pretty sure the quick step is still there.

Here's a question. What vocal Sonic song has not been cheesy? I'm not even trying to defend this one, I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are. To me, every vocal Sonic song has been cheesy, going alllll the way back to even Sonic Boom (SCD) and Toot toot Sonic Warrior. I feel like these all sounded cooler because we were younger, but looking back and thinking about it it's just a lot of cheese. The style may change but the cheese remains.

3. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    1. Have you even SEEN the gameplay videos?!
    2. Quickstep and drifting weren't in the Boost games until Unleashed. And the Drift was pretty bad outside of Generations and Unleashed PS2/Wii...

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    ...was there a boost game before Unleashed that I'm forgetting? I mean, I guess you could say the Rush series had it, but there'd be no place for those mechanics on a 2D plane anyway.

5. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    To me, the DS games will always be the "real" (a.k.a. better) Boost games.

6. Amnimator

Amnimator

@DarkSonic - I remember earlier in this thread it was mentioned both weren't in the game.

@LowSeasCaroz - Yeah, I did but I don't see your point. There's no sign of drifting or quick step in any of the gameplay, plus as I said this was mentioned earlier in this thread. Sonic Rush counts as a boost game, but I'm specifically referring to the 3D ones.

EDIT: Quick step is in, but drifting seems like a no.

7. synchronizer

synchronizer

Well the custom character has a drift:

[​IMG]

8. Amnimator

Amnimator

Oh, so drifting is in? I wonder why people said it wasn't a bunch of pages back. My bad.

9. Maybe I Am from Shadow the Hedgehog? But that's a huge maybe. I used to think Open Your Heart was pretty dark and edgy but then I turned 12 so...

Let's not beat around the bush. The song is very cheesy. But at least now we have more cannon fodder against the fans who were skeptical and critical about Force's premise and the game being too dark.

Also we haven't heard the whole thing yet, this was a sample.

10. synchronizer

synchronizer

Maybe the move is context-sensitive as in Colors (unfortunately). I'm already not a fan of the double jump.

11. Amnimator

Amnimator

Yeah, the lyrics in Sonic songs tend to be pretty cheesy. But usually the vocals are the main melody of the song. In Fist Bump, he just kind of sings along so it doesn't feel like it's adding all too much. I don't hate Fist Bump, but at the same time I just feel most other vocal themes in Sonic games were designed with the vocals in mind. Here it's just kind of added on top and as such doesn't stick as well.

I wasn't a fan of that in Colors (light speed dash being delegated to a wisp, drifting, quickstep), but it wasn't a game breaker. I'd be fine if it's in the game at all; it's a big part of the boost formula. Maybe they're trying to allow you to play with a single Joycon, and those don't have back triggers?

12. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I think all of them were cheesy, but most landed in a 'amusingly cheesy but epic' zone for me. (I'm not even sure I can claim nostalgia here either; I remember making fun of Johnny's over the top vocals when those games came out).

It could be the more pop-punk/punk rock oriented style this time that might be putting me off (as I'm not a big fan of that genre). Another difference here is that we heard the instrumental first (not sure if this has happened before) so maybe the vocals seem a bit tacked on.

Also, Seven Rings in Hand oddly grew on me after hearing it ad infinitum in-game.

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    RE: Drift

Happens at 33.

Pro - Looks super cool with how they use the grappling hook

Con - Looks like it might be automated T_T

14. synchronizer

synchronizer

That isn't just the slide?

15. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    At 33? No, that's very definitely the drift.

They slide BEFORE 33, if that's what you're talking about.

16. I know it's all subjective so people will have their exceptions, but I would go as far to say all of them. They all have their cringe/cheese moments, but at different levels.

For example, I personally felt the main theme to Sonic Colors wasn't as cheese-ridden as something from Sonic R. Also that one Dreams of Absolution song wasn't that cheesy to me either.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Makes me wonder if people like it because of the cheese, or don't even realize it's cheesy at all.

17. *digs through his Sonic music library*

...Hm, I'd say the least cheesy would have to maybe be Never Turn Back.

18. Amnimator

Amnimator

I guess we really won't know until we play it. There doesn't seem like much reason why the player would want to drift there in the first place... I'm just saying, if it's scripted and there isn't actually drift in this game, that's a big goof.

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Fixed.

One day people will actually get the song's title right.

20. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Apparently an embargo for previews for Sonic Forces (outside E3, apparently) seems to have lifted, as there are a bunch of previews for the game coming out now. To my (minimal) surprise, they aren't exactly glowing either:

Eurogamer - "Maybe it's time for us to leave Sonic Team's take on its own series behind"

VG247 - "Sonic Forces is rough to the point of being comical – is there any way to save Sonic Team's soul?"

God is a Geek - "Sonic Forces has an electric whip, and is a confused game"

WCCFTech - "Sonic Forces Hands-On Switch Preview – Thoroughly Forced"

There also some previews from the previous week, they weren't without concerns either.

Metro - "Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces hands-on preview and interview – ‘The focus is on old school fans’"

AppTrigger - "E3 2017: Sonic Forces escapes the city, not its past"

Hmm...