don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    Apologies for replying to a four year old post, but I felt like this was worth contributing:

I think this team likely developed Turbo as well (since it is the only other game to run on the Zoom 909 hardware other than SubRoc 3D), along with Sinbad Mystery. As for the latter, there seem to be a "H.K", "YOS", and "FUK". H.K. probably refers to Hideo Kume, YOS probably refers to M. Yoshii, and FUK probably refers to the unknown identity of "FUKUMARA".

Something also wants to make part of the team developed Monster Bash as well, although I have absolutely no clues on that game.

2. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    Annnnd I had a brain fart. Sega Retro seems to disagree with me and says that Yoshiki Kawasaki was the "YOS" on the high score initials of Sindbad Mystery.

3. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    Microsoft just announced Xbox backwards compatibility on Xbox One, we can ask Sega for JSRF again.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's amazing what you can find accidentally:

[​IMG]

https://archive.org/stream/NewComputerExpress130#page/n1/mode/2up

Here's an advert for the Master System version of Pac-Mania, apparently broadcast across 19 European countries through Supertext (which in Queen's English is Teletext rendered at (I think) a slightly higher resolution. At least for the graphics side of things). It's a piece of video game history that had no chance in hell of being preserved.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You're not kidding about the higher resolution. I tried doing a quick throw of the data into JellyText:

[​IMG]

Didn't even try the artwork which seems by a mile to be nowhere near =P

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I also tried when I found it

http://edit.tf/#1:QIEBcvwQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIPHNAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBBZJv0CBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgqaMqCDyx4cmVBO3rmKBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECDntw89CDTzQYsOPWhQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQINO5BUiw5sGPJlp-aBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQF-7Huxboe7VAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAX6NerDq1atUCBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIJsGnUi0kFOzTqRZpPUgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBBIk1ECBAgJoP6BAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBADoQYc2DOkwUBFAT6oECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIEBPUgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgZrYixAgQICaBAg_r06VAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECCFv67seVAgQIECAEgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIKG_vl5LECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAg0acmTLuQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECDZl7ZdnNAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIMO7IgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAg29cehAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECDbv5ZVy5cgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECBAgQIECA

but I think the pixels got misaligned and I ran out of patience with the interface.

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Bought a bunch of old magazines a few days ago, and flipping through them, I found an article on Sega of america's webpage that includes a lot of pictures from around December of 94, including a listing of files on their FTP. Is there an existing Sega Retro article I can add scans of those pages to?

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    What magazines were they? We're pretty much uploading whole magazines at this point for reference material.

I do know we have some kind of article for that information but I can't pinpoint at the moment.

Also, since I'm posting anyway, the Steam Summer Sale this year has a sticker mini-game (no idea who is doing the art but it is all original), and I got a Bayonetta sticker. No idea if it's possible to isolate the picture somehow though.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

This specific magazine is the February 1995 issue of EGM2. I also just noticed, in the FTP screenshot for Segaoa.com, there appears to be a text document announcing "y wars now available on Sega Channel" with a date next to it of 11/15/1994. The first part of the word is obscured by another screenshot, but I think this might be indicating precisely when Mega Man: The Wily Wars was published in North America on Sega Channel.

EDIT: there is actually a second pic unobscured, and yup, its an announcement for mega man. 11/15/1994. Previous date of December 1994 came from a Gamepro scan announcing it was already available, but it seems now that it was actually pushed midway through november.

EDIT DOS: Wikipedia lists dec 1994, but Sega Retro says 10/20/1994. Black Squirrel added that info in May 2012 but didn't leave an annotation, where did you get that date from BS?

Either way, the Segaoa announcement has a firm date - 11/15/1994, 5 days before it's listed on Sega Retro.

EDIT AGAIN: Holy hell, how did I miss this? They actually have a picture of the internals of that text file. The exact date - November 14th 1995, this is the actual press release for Wily Wars on Sega Channel. Says game is available "for immediate release" on the 14th, despite the file being uploaded on the 15th. Editing the wiki right now.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    February 1995 would have been Issue 8 of EGM2, which we don't have at all.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I actually bought every issue of EGM from 1990 to 1996. The issue of EGM2 was thrown in as a freebie I guess.

I updated the wiki for Mega Man Wily Wars and took a pic of the page with my phone, when I get access to a scanner I'll try and make some better images. There is also a picture of a header from the website showing unique art of Sonic and Knuckles wearing santa caps with a Sega logo made out of spider web (because Sega on the web, har har, get it?)

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    These are all our EGM scans for reference.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I suspect that screenshot isn't of Sega's FTP, but rather a press disk given to EGM from Capcom.

Just because, you know, SNES screenshots.

14. Linkabel

Linkabel

This might be a weird question and I'm not sure if it might be the right thread for it. But does anyone know what font the Club Sega sign uses?

[​IMG]

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Russia introduced its own video game content rating system in 2012-ish. Do we know if it has a name? As in, a name I can use to actually find details about it, as opposed to invented abbreviations by Microsoft.

Bonus points if you can find some vectors before I do.

Clue:
    https://segaretro.org/File:AliensColonialMarines_PS3_RU_Box_LE.jpg
    they look like that

16. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0%BE%D0%B7%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%BA%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%83%D0%BA%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%B8_%D0%B2_%D0%A0%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B8
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Culture_(Russia)

It's probably the Russian Ministry of Culture that's responsible for age ratings, or some department within the ministry (though I can't find which one).

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    For the record, I've just gone with "Russia rating" until a proper name emerges. Hopefully some nice vectors will come along too.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Genuinely I think it might be the most sensible rating system currently in use. It's more obtrusive than some, but colour-coded numbers in a fixed position on the box gets the point across straight away.

p.s. it's insane how many different variants of video games there are these days. I've been making lists. You should fill in the blanks and scan things.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fun Dreamcast up on eBay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122616869616

19. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    That thing is absolute fucking insanity. I want it more than I've ever wanted anything. It kind of looks like the Slimline DVD Dreamcast they were showcasing, with the VMU MP3 player. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd also say it likely contains the hardware for Karaoke, as well.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This is something that I came across not too long ago, and is mostly undocumented.

Dreamcast technology ended up in quite a few things around the late-2000 to 2002 mark. I've yet to sit down and explore it all (mostly because I'm waiting for more Dreamcast magazine scans). Tend to hope someone else will one day.

As an aside though - the fact I've heard of this and it was written about at the time suggests it might be less rare than you might think. Most Japanese arcade things stay in Japan.