don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Sega clearly knows their shit with this. Looks like they're acknowledging the failure of Sonic 4 and pushing the true successor instead, which is good to see.

2. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Mania includes a past CD stage. Maybe CD happens after Mania.
    Considering how the plants are huge and actually enemies, maybe the Mania past SSZ is even past-er than the CD one.

3. Linkabel

Linkabel

I think my point is that people make a bigger deal about them not mentioning Sonic 4 that it actually is and then jump through hoops to explain on why CD is not mentioned.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I think they aren't mentioning Sonic 4, because it's not featured in Mania. Sonic 4 popped up in the trailers for Runners and that Amazing Sega thing, so it's not like it's been blacklisted.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Let's not forget, that's Sega of Japan that is still using Sonic 4 in a market where Sonic is basically a footnote. I would imagine there aren't a lot of huge Sonic fans in Japan who are aware enough of the franchise to care.

Different story in the west where Sonic is a lot more prominent; especially because Sega's PR in the US and UK have a much better feel on the pulse of the series' standing with the fans.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Still hoping for a completely original Sonic 4 that has nothing to do with "Sonic 4 Modern".

"But fans would get confused!" -> Lol nobody will care, don't worry about that.

7. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Yup. The Reddit and Youtube comments regarding those elevator buttons were a bit frustrating for this same reason. No-one was bothered that CD wasn't on the buttons, and instead focused on a game that was both developed and (most probably) takes place after the era that Mania is celebrating.

I think despite SEGA's initial intentions, Sonic 4 is still very much a 'Modern Sonic' game, and if we're placing this in any kind of 'timeline', Aaron seems to be implying that this would fit somewhere between Sonic & Knuckles and the Modern games (incl Sonic 4).

That's not to say I don't empathise with people wanting to erase Sonic 4 from existence, but I feel like the reasons presented so far haven't been too solid.

8. Agreed! Although it would probably be more sensible to call it Mania 2.

But, I much prefer your Rock & Roll option - sack it off altogether

Just reminded me of this:

Sonic 4 (As you imagined it)

Lapper, I thought you had just disappeared from Retro but you just changed your name - Sonica?

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I can't believe the insulting statement they made about the music. The only way it could be any better is if Michael Jackson came back from the dead to do it himself!

10. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I'm fucking dying lmao

11. kullenberg

kullenberg

Anyone else plan to play this on a CRT?

12. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Is that twonk serious? Jesus, let him get close, because he'll fire bombs at distance, jump the arm, land on the arm, get a hit in, rinse, repeat. It's about on par with Mushroom Hill 2 in terms of difficulty....

13. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I would if there's either an option for 4:3 resolution or I can actually get my hands on a decent SD CRT that supports 16:9

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Taxman already said the game runs just fine at 4:3]

Also, are you guys worried about the Switch version? I mean, as it's been developed by Tantalus, it means future bugfixes by the original team will probably not come to the platform.

15. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Yeah but letterbox though

16. Maybe not. The Sonic 1/2 ports run at near 3:2 with no letterboxing on my Samsung Chromebook Plus. I assumed the game reconfigures it's viewport and HUD depending on the aspect ratio.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Absolutely not, I'm all about top quality and innovation which was representative of the games back in the day. I want the screen to be as clear and crisp as possible. The same with the sound.

18. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Time to change my name for not knowing this one...

I actually have rather hardened feelings for Mania. The Sonic Cycle has taught me too many times. I've also been avoiding info a lot (I.E. only popping in this thread once or twice) just to play it without any preconceptions. I did this with Generations as well and I felt it paid off.

19. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Just so long as there are no major system crashing bugs, I'm fine with any leftovers as long as they're as minor as the stuff in the genesis titles

20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Somebody's never played games on a CRT with RGB before