don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Are you sure? If you hold up, you'll always get the higher path. o.o

2. synchronizer

synchronizer

I don't quite get it. Is he not supposed to jump behind that ramp, but was able to do so because of some layer manipulation, or is it just that people rarely think to jump rightwards at the top of the "moving blocks, rising chemical liquid" section?

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's that they forgot to add a "plane change" object at the specific door he passes and thus the solidity is incorrect.

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I really hope for their sake that they make it available digitally on iTunes or Amazon MP3 on day one. It's more incentive for fans to purchase it, because you know that on day one people will record the tracks in-game and put them up on YouTube followed by a downloadable "soundtrack rip" later. I say recorded in game, because I've noticed that people have done this with games even where tools already existed to extract the files. When Hideki Naganuma's tracks were added to HOVER, someone uploaded them to YouTube the same day but they were looping with fadeout. The actual tracks in the game data had the full songs with endings and tools already existed to grab them. (This was a moot point because the next day the originals were added to SoundCloud by Hideki himself) If the tracks are available unofficially before the official ones, there's no incentive for someone who already downloaded them to buy them. I'm sure Stealth came up with yet another encryption scheme for the files in this one, so we're probably not going to have tools to extract the raw data right away, but people recording audio is still a valid concern.

On the other hand, if they would offer a soundtrack on day 1 that's probably going to spoil late game levels that they don't want to reveal up front.

I want to buy it, so I really hope they release something as close to August 15th [this year] as possible.

Is it possible that was intentional though? Otherwise there's not much point to have two doors there. There's a little bit less to climb, but I never really saw that as an incentive to taking that path since it's right above the other one.

I don't remember when I found out about the high path that avoids the rising water (it was back on the genesis though) but after finding it I never took the water path again. Finding out about that shortcut makes me want to start taking that upper water path instead.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Before I throw my arms up in the air and claim I know nothing, some verification of this would be helpful. In the tubes I always just smash the d-pad but I don't recall any other route coming into play here for me.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, that's something we may never know for sure unless the original drawn map surfaces.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    They added a solid object there in Sonic 2 & Knuckles, so I'd imagine that not only was it not intentional, but they discovered it shortly afterwards and tried to fix it. (It's still possible to do, though.)

CPZ tubes are based entirely on the second counter. They do not check for input at all.

8. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Sooo... another delay incoming? Sounds like Mania might not be ready in time for the planned August release :(/>

In the article, he also mentions that Stardust Speedway will not have time travel or anything like that, but the stage has been altered accordingly.

9. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I'd be very surprised if they miss August given the heavy marketing and promo, including a launch trailer that features the date and the Steam page taking pre-orders. August is everywhere. It'd be crushing for the team, both in their spirits and potential sales-wise if they miss their release window.

Iizuka's comments were vague. He ended by saying the game's almost done so I'm hopeful and optimistic they'll hit August. At least I hope so.

10. I'm not sure you should take Iizuka's word on Mania. I thought it was already established that the e3 demo was of an earlier build to not take away from development. Are you certain he wasn't referring to Forces, and his awakward phrasing pulled in Mania?

11. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    No. This was the part of the interview in which they were talking about Mania. He specifically refers to Mania in that sentence:

12. Interviewer: How is progress on development?
    I could take that to mean that Forces is further along than they have let on.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201706/14135044.html

13. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Does that mean that stardust speedway past was the present all along??

14. Felik

Felik

Honestly the way everyone describes Taxman as this mystical greater than life figure, I swear if in some dystopian twisted future Sonic will become a religion, Taxman will be glorified as his son and messiah

+ - Also Brad you gained some weigh since sfghq era :)  

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The man's had top billing on the remasters, so I guess people think he's the center of development. It does seem to border on worship sometimes though.

No offense to Aaron and Lola, but it's good to actually get a developer interview. I don't think we've had one, at least filmed, since development started.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The post above yours is literally what you're asking for. :v:

17. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I lol'ed at Hunter putting the DNA elevator as his cover photo on Facebook. Had to check, and it's there. Gave it a like for the lulz. Great job on that, man, along with the syringe gimmick, that elevator put a smile on my face.

So excited to see what Stealth's is proud of. August can't come soon enough!

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I think you misread. I'm glad we now have one, as we had yet to have one.

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The entire interview can be read here.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, we ARE trying to do more of that. It's usually somewhat difficult because the dev teams for the games are either not interview-ready and/or only speak Japanese. Hence why it's usually a PR talking head.

This is kind of a first (at least, for Sega in my memory.)