don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    [​IMG]

You had me convinced you weren't in this game, you really did. Why would you do that to me? :(
    I'm really stoked to hear you're involved in the project nonetheless.

2. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    What I've seen of Mania so far makes me not think of it as a fangame in fidelity to the originals, and that's not something I can say about almost all the sonic fangames I remember playing. I'd say they're doing pretty well on that front.

3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    the secret to a successful game is making a good game who would've fucking guessed

5. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
  6. Flygon

Flygon

If you told me even just 3 years ago that these sort of reception would come in for a modern Sonic game, I'd think you were pulling my leg and taking me for an idiot.

I'm so glad I'm wrong now.

7. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Pretty much going to echo what I said on Twitter: The nominations are important because it demonstrates that you don't need to have some innovative new mechanic or gimmick to win over critics and audiences. Simply using conventional mechanics/fundamentals but just doing it really damn well is also a valid strategy.

Also, I'm curious if the option to disable timer deaths will be in the final version. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's itching to explore every nook and cranny of these stages.

8. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

While I'm excited for both Mania and Forces, I really want Mania to outsell Forces. Can you imagine what would happen if a bunch of fans got together and did better than Sonic Team? I feel like we'd be guaranteed another Retro Engine game or two.

9. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I just love how, if Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant Zone are anything to go by, these levels lull you into a state of familiarity and then throw all sorts of new gimmicks, surprises, and bosses at us. Even the music reflects this: Act 1 is more like an HD version of the Genesis track, and then Act 2 gives us a wilder remix but not one that strays too far from the original track we all know and love. For CPZ, compare Mania's Act 2 to Generations's Modern remix a.k.a. the original song is reduced to a background sample, although I will say that I enjoy Generations remixes.

Mania's Act 1 is also more consistent than Generations's Classic mix because Generations Classic abruptly shifts from "Genesis version but with drums" to "Genesis version but with more techno and the drum beat from Nelly Furtado and Knuckles Timbaland's Promiscuous but with a synth and sped up"... but that's a different story.

10. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I definitely think we'll get S3&K remastered if this games succeeds, and ultimately, an original Classic Sonic game created by Taxman and Stealth. There is no doubt in my mind that this game will print money.

Maybe Sega will be interested in Sonic Megamix? :v:

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

Pristine Palisade confirmed!

On a more serious note, I'm really glad that your hard work wasn't wasted. :D

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Forget S3&K, I think a retro Engine shot at remaking Knuckles Chaotix not suck would be awesome. Imagine having GOOD level design and a FUN rubber band mechanic. Complete with a Wechnia cameo? That's my dream.

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

Or we could focus on Mania and hope for a sequel with all-original levels. I'm kind of afraid that this is a one-off.

14. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    The sheer focus on Classic Sonic lately implies something greater than a single download title, but then again Sega/Sonic Team.

15. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I really do wish there was some sort of Testing when it comes to the Assurance of Quality in electronic entertainment software.

16. big smile

big smile

Oldbie

In this interview, it sounds Classic is going to be an ongoing series.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah, the original palette cycles seem to be missing for some reason, including the kaleidoscope effects in the moving blocks.

They're probably just not a priority or they may be working on improving their looks somehow, I don't think they'll be missing from the final game.

18. Just wanna shout this out to the Mania crew - get this guy to join Tee for any future projects! His stuff is so good, would be an amazing combo. Their styles would compliment each other very well.

Check the piano @2.12

19. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    http://youtu.be/zSdCTS4QTNQ

At 4:00, there's apparently an edge of the boss arena, where he just blows up and you're left dead or on a tiny speck of land. Hmm.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That was brought up earlier. There might be more below, but killing Robotnik might have caused the screen to lock which resulted in death.