don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I love that it's there, it's easy more fitting to this level than angel island.

2. Turbohog

Turbohog

So something I've been wondering ... how much are the act 1 classic levels copy pasted from the originals? I can tell certain areas are lifted straight from the originals, but can anyone easily tell if the majority of the level layouts are completely lifted from the originals? I haven't played them in a while, so I can't tell.

Edit: It seems like they are largely lifted from the originals. I'm sure this was Sega's idea, but it seems kind of lazy and cheap to me. I already bought the games that had these levels 8 times over, ya know?

3. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Yeah, I was gonna mention this, actually. It works really well in the context of the stage. It resembles the blue goop snake things that come hop between pipes.

4. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Everything looks excellent bar the Act 1s being a mishmash of the old act 1 and 2s so far. I'm seriously impressed with how fresh Chemical Plant and Green Hill are with their new Act 2s.

I did not expect Green Hill's Death Egg Robo surprise and how it simply kills you via stage destruction if you take too long...even if you beat it at the edge since it takes part of the stage with it. The edge case I'm curious about is if it is possible to beat the boss, bop the egg capsule with the animals, land on the edge of the stage, and die via Sonic and Knuckles's leaping victory animation pushing them over the edge?

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The first boss suddenly creating a bottomless pit when you're supposed to have won is completely unfair and just shouldn't happen... That's Dragon's Lair levels of trial and error there.

Even the Angel Island boss creates a bridge after being defeated just so the player can't die accidentally. Doing the opposite is certainly not a good idea.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

Maybe it's a bug that has already been fixed?

7. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Ever since CPZ in Sonic 2, I've never approved of instakill pits during boss fights. If the fight is harder as Super Sonic you've done something wrong.
    I think the death egg robot could have done without making the massive hole in the ground.

8. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    I like this reply. This is a good reply.

Anyway, for those not keepin' up, here's the low-down. Uuuuhhh... E3 owns. Ohshima-san came by and gave us his blessing. We've had lines around the booth with everyone super excited to play the game. We currently have 4 publications (including IGN and GameInformer) awarding us Best in Show Nominations (Overall, Platformer, Switch Game). Sonic and Crash Bandicoot got into a dance-off.

I've been taking non-stop photos of the booth that you can check out on muh Twitter. Stealth has also been takin' photos on his Twitter.

This has been the coolest week of our lives. Thank you to all the Retro people who have come by to kick it with us. It means the world.

9. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    You can't actually fall down that hole the boss makes, you'll realize what the hole is for when you play the final game...

10. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Oh SHIT its a story thing. I am so looking forward to these zone transitions.

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Hydrocityyyyyyyyyyy

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, that's a relief.

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

I don't think that Taxman and Stealth would have ever decided to put a nasty bottomless pit in a 2D Sonic considering how many anti bottomless pits replies have probably been posted since before the Retro Sonic SAGE demos.

14. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

While it would be appropriate to have Hydrocity Zone in a hole after the first boss, I don't think that's possible because it's on Angel Island.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Still that hole looks like crap with that simple straight cut on the tileset.

16. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

It's probably just not finished. And even if it is, that's how all the other destroyable tiles work.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Worked* on the Genesis, we're in 2017 and it's completely possible to make it look cool.

18. Turbohog

Turbohog

I would love it if you fell straight into Hydrocity from there. I know I just complained about levels being reused, but I would love to see that level truly re-imagined (as long as it's not a copy-paste :)). Thanks for coming to clear that up a bit Taxman. Hope you guys know that even if people like me complain, this game is still an insta-buy. I even pre-ordered.

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    True, it's the best Sonic game since Generations, for sure.

20. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'