don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Is that a bug or a feature though?

2. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Oh hey, isn't that thing where Sonic hits the bottom of the platforms and they shake and fall down from Star Light Zone? Or is it somewhere else? Idk but it's from somewhere other than CPZ. I love it when they add stuff from zones that didn't make it into the game.

3. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Yup, that's from Star Light Zone. Scratch another potential classic level off the list.

4. Felik

Felik

Also from death egg. Scratch two

5. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Y'all just turned my good thing into a bad thing how dare you

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I've noticed that too, but I guess this could boil down to the whole "progression from Genesis hardware" ideology. Not sure where I personally fall on that, because I always liked to think of zones as literal locations with functions and purposes, whereas big launching guns with gloved hands, etc., strikes me as more of a funhouse sort of thing, where "Anything goes", similar in type to the zone comprised of desserts from Colors, which I lamented about a week or 2 ago. But I can tolerate it. I actually haven't seen the syringes yet and don't intend to until August 15th...

7. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    The Tails assist move first introduced in the Sonic 1&2 remasters is back for Mania.

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/875049508647849984

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Wow, didn't really notice that. About the syringe thing, it would have been a boring button that light metallic sounding "click." I think it's something that builds upon the design innovation of the series. But now I really bothered by the objects that are supposed to glow red, purple, blue, and green, just stay static as green.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The Act 2 music for Chemical Plant gets a bit grating after a while. It could do with a second verse or something.

This is a problem I noticed with Green Hill Zone too - while there's mileage to be had in saying "these levels are bigger", they almost feel too big. Level layouts feel as if they're starting to repeat, and the music isn't long enough to cover the longer time you spend in the stage.

I suspect, much like Flying Battery, the Mega Drive assets don't really cater for 16:9 displays and levels that are more than twice as long as originally planned. Or maybe I just played one too many fangames in my youth.

Dunno, can't really put my finger on it and posts like these tend to be disregarded as being a bit whiny, but it's out here anyway. Mirage Saloon is far better and it's a shame they're not more like that.

10. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    I actually really like the idea, and its part of why I like colors aesthetics and direction. We got admittedley stupid but cool, zany, off the wall concepts because Eggman designed them. The most reserved stage having more of an organic down to earth approach as to not being meddled with. All the new crazy stages are clearly Eggman's design, as they have his mug all over them. I think that's a brilliant way to create more fun, "video game-y" levels without breaking the theme of the games.

11. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I think we all just assumed it would be there. Why wouldn't it be?

12. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    For some reason, it wasn't present in earlier builds of the game.

13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    My guess is that the expanded sizes for the remixed levels is being done for emphasis on how much the returning levels have changed in appearance/structure from the original games (whereas Mirage Saloon --and Studiopolis as well-- are part of the game's original zones, so level size expansion isn't as necessary for those). It's worth noting the Act 1s of the returning levels we've seen so far are largely identical to the original first (and second) acts; and those acts --in contrast to your concerns about the Act 2 levels-- have gotten complaints by some for being too similar to the original layouts as it is.

14. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Collapsing platforms aren't exactly something unique to just one or two stages. It's all over in Sonic. It doesn't rule out either Star Light or Death Egg.

Probably a bug.

Though that would be a notable twist, that if you lose Tails you lose him for the rest of the level.

Also, Nick Robinson was playing Chemical Plant for Polygon and unlike most of Polygon he actually knows how to play a video game.

Looks like it probably could have been released in April but it would have been about as buggy as Sonic 3 or worse. Not a Sonic 2006 or Rise of Lyric-esque glitchfest but definitely some annoying issues that would have marred enjoyment of the game.

15. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    If may ask, has anyone noticed that when Tails ascends while carrying Sonic in that tweet Nick posted, his face doesn't change unlike what we've seen in the past?

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I was about to say (but I didn't because I was using my phone before, and I forgot until now), I'm glad that they apparently fixed that weird carrying sprite.

17. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I'm kind of disappointed that it's gone, but it did look weird. It was funny though, and the tired+carrying Sonic sprite still exists. Heck, I even made it my profile image for the Google account I use for my school: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gjPsxVwYPd4/WJEJd8sb8dI/AAAAAAAAABM/MMdcsWEb784VjmeW27Mka4cM6XeEhFJowCEwYBhgL/tails.png

Where's the sprites for when Tails carries Sonic while swimming? (I know Tails descends when doing so, but still.)

18. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    anyone notice a Badnik from angel island is there in Chemical plant act 2? Does the mean that Angel Island can be ruled out or has it been confirmed that badniks can appear in multiple stages in Mania?

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I was able to clean more of Green Hill 2, but not totally (the audio jack seems to be a bit busted and messed up with the phase throughout the song!). It's not the full loop from the song as it has an extra section but I was able to make a loop out of it.

20. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    I thought I'd be dissapointed seeing yet another remix of a stage we had in Generations but... Honestly that video of Chemical Plant Act 2 just makes me really happy. It looks really fun, the music is nicely remixed and what more could you ask?

And yup, that there in the trailer is a Caterkiller Jr if I'm not mistaken.