don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. I can't believe they're still using the October build.
    [​IMG]

2. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    While it's neat that we've got this footage, I do wish it was presented without that awful commentary VO. Though, I guess they want to keep the boss theme under wraps?

Nice take on the Giant Eggman Robo. I do like how it appears they're riffing off of the boss' final phase from its appearance in Generations.

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I am digging that animation of Eggman closing the lid on the Death Egg Robot. It's a very small touch that adds a little life to the machine.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    That's unfortunate. I'm not even sure how you'd fix that when it's all tiles. Tree objects maybe. Hope it's sorted!

I don't care though - all looks fantastic.

5. I was expecting to hear the Act 2 music of GHZ. By the way, everything looks awesome.

6. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I understand that people are bitching about it being the October build, but in the recent Live Stream they slightly touched on this, but it was more related to demos. They said why bother putting in effort towards something like that when they could just dedicate that time to working on the game. I think we can all agree that this will be for the better. The end product is what is going to be remembered most, not the PR lead up to the games launch.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Funny how you say that on a website whose original incarnation was created to talk about an unreleased version of Sonic 2 :U
    In a few years, Simon will come back and surprise everyone with "the Sonic Mania beta page" :U

8. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Even though I've seen it, I am still going to shit a brick!

Now this might have been addressed since this build, but the thing is still moving after the final blow....or there is some sort of delay between the final blow and when it falls apart. Also, now you can spindash between the legs? You can tough the arms? Also though more menacing than before, looks like some liberties to what harms Sonic and what doesn't is been changed, especially since you can now walk on the arms. This is insanely good!

9. AmbientPixels

AmbientPixels

I am emotionally wrecked Member
    Indiana
    A Sonic Comic Project,
    I must agree that using the demo from October 2016 is a little strange. I don't think it'll be too much of a problem anyway since the final product will be the thing everyone focuses on. I would love for the final game to come out so that I can do comparisons with the Beta and final product. I'm just a sucker for those...

Also adding in the Death Egg robot was a nice touch really, I'll take it over another Ball n' Chain boss with Robotnik. All in all, I'm still very excited for this game.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea we've been through this song and dance though.

Pros:
    - More time on actual development
    - The basics are down and it's not like those will change
    - The developers have a proven track record so we can trust them

Cons:
    - The build is 8 months old and has potentially has it's own brand of game breaking bugs/freezes (What if it froze during a live demonstration? That wouldn't look good)
    - First impressions can be lasting impressions
    - Seeing half chunks of trees floating in the air looks sloppy anyway you look at it
    - Seeing the same issues over and over again is not exactly reassuring

I don't think any of us here are worried that the final game will be garbage, far from it, but yea. They should have made a new build for E3 and then rode that build out until the final release.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Very uninpressed with all shown in E3 by Sega. Meh.

12. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    The build was well-tested as far as something that early and for show goes, and approved for media use. In fact, that's specifically what that one was built for. All of the super-important stuff was straightened up, so there certainly wouldn't be anything game-breaking suddenly popping up

That's exactly why more-recent builds don't show up so much. Sorting out a build for any sort of public consumption not only takes extra time for us but also for the people at Sega who have to test and approve it. None of us really have that. Also, the farther along the game gets, the more stuff there is that can go wrong. That would only increase the potential for stuff like "game breaking bugs/freezes" to slip by in a rush to supply the press

13. XCubed

XCubed

This is still a dream come true. This is something we've never had before. Stealth shuts the nitpickers and naysayers down by letting everyone know that demo quality is not final quality. LOVE IT. This game won't have any bugs of the predecessors but heaven for bit there be one thing out of place...but in the end, they have our money and I want them to take more! The real challenge is where do we go from here?

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You know that's a really good point. Sonic 3 & Knuckles was buggy and I loved it to death. I'll try and be good then :v:

Do love the developer responses though, that's really great of you Stealth/Taxman.

15. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    We're supposed to be seeing more from Mania and Forces in about an hour from now via YouTube live at E3:

Source: https://medium.com/@geoffkeighley/the-full-schedule-for-youtube-live-at-e3-843014449a4c

Times listed are PT (America/Pacific). 2.15 PM converts to 10:15 PM BST. So about an hour from this post.

16. XCubed

XCubed

Ok, after finally hearing the audio portion, this is definitely older than the leak that first showed the real GHZ Act 2 music. It is still paying Act 1 music before and after the boss fight. I also have a better understanding of the tree piece in the air. When the ground collapsed, it took parts of the tree that were within the parameters of the "damaged" area, not accounting for part of the tree being outside of this event area. I'm sure it's a simple fix and have already been taken care of, if not, I really don't care!

17. Well, looks like we won't see any original stages... At least we'll be suprised by getting the game. But I wonder if after that, SEGA will reveal another Classic stage.

18. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Wasn't that just Sonic 3 though (and that in itself was because it was rushed out to meet the McDonalds Happy Meal promotion)? Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3&K from my recollection were considerably more stable than the vanilla Sonic 3.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    No, S3K is even more broken. So, so broken.

20. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Does this game have the momentum lock when you jump out of a roll?