don't click here

Hirokazu Yasuhara revealing all kinds of Sonic development stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 22, 2017.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Aren't you guys replying to the wrong topic?

2. Montblanc

Montblanc

Isn't that the unused "Let's go" sign from Sparkling/Spring Yard Zone?

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Ok I'm really excited for the book now, since we're probably going to get some new Sonic CD concept art! Maybe more R2?

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I t b e t t e r f r e a k e n h a v e R 2!!
    I want to see that forsaken zone so bad..........that it's not even funny! Because when it comes to lost levels, that's my holy grail. Being able to see it is higher on my list of wants than anything leaked from Sonic X-treme ! And I'm sure you guys know how I feel about Xtreme.

Concept art would be nice, but even better would be actual screenshots of canned Sonic levels!

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

Wasn't R2 just a drawing of a Marble Zone-like area with a rainbow? I remember seeing something like that somewhere. Would anyone know of it?

EDIT:

I haven't found it yet, but... this is strange... through a quick search I see that at least a few people have taken an old piece of R2 pixel art I made close to a decade ago, and without giving me credit. It isn't even very good. Does this normally happen? haha

6. Montblanc

Montblanc

http://info.sonicretro.org/R2

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I don't know if everyone checks the fan gaming section. So I'm posting a link to what I want to show here , sorry if its kind of off topic but it shows Hirokazu Yasuhara's concept art from Sonic Xtrem's Jade gully zone and the levels that were found that actually correspond to them.
    I wonder how many more areas he has not shown yet.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31255&view=findpost&p=883532

8. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I love the misspelled 'WELCME'

9. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Okay, I screwed it up. Thank you very much for that. I guess that the goofyness of Super Sonic in the final game screwed up my thoughts.

10. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Now i want that concept art to become a real Sonic game, and Sonic Overture is the only one ready for the job. I hope they can include this all, it's so oniric...

11. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Yasuharah/status/874482224925622272

New picture! (Sorry for mobile link)

[​IMG]

12. Text of the tweet:
    So it looks like rolling may have protected you from the wave of spikes somehow? Either that or rolling would have let you fit in between them more easily? I'm not sure.

13. I believe there's enough stuff on R2 internally for Tax, Stealth & crew to throw some of it into Mania. I'd be surprised if they didn't!

14. Burrobot

Burrobot

That concept looks like it was used for Metropolis Zone's 'wave of spikes'. Interesting. I'm glad that in the end, they kept rolling as a mostly-optional feature, with only a handful of objects which require a roll to pass (Breakable walls in Green Hill Zone, for example). Forcing game mechanics on the player is a great way of turning something fun into a methodical grind.

15. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Wow! I never saw this! Interesting how they wanted to use the sign post to indicate what became text, telling Sonic he "Made a Good Future"....or "Got Through" which became more neutral.

16. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

"This idea didn't adopt for the game. Because Sonic runs too fast to see this sort of gimmicks." [Link]

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Hah, that excuse doesn't hold up anymore! A number of rolling objects have chased Sonic downhill over the years.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But the Sonic 1 engine would have made the rolling bombs disappear soon after Sonic outrun them, wouldn't it?

That setup kinda reminds me of Spring Yard Act 3, by the way.

19. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    If I didn't already have an icon of Sonic I personally discovered, this icon would be pretty bomb as well:
    [​IMG]

20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I think it was less "Sonic can outrun them" and more the serious pacing problems that could have.

Either you have a wall in front of Sonic that stops him dead so that the player is forced to hang around to see the bombs open the path, or the player will be, in most cases, blowing past the gimmick entirely and missing that a new path has been opened.