don't click here

Hirokazu Yasuhara revealing all kinds of Sonic development stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 22, 2017.

1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I mean honestly Dust/Trash/Ash/Junk Hill just didn't happen if that was the true direction and had nothing to do with Mystic Cave. It's another idea that was most likely recycled into Angel Island Zone Act 2. It was obvious that at some point, they wanted a dramatic shift between two acts of the same zone, not just a pallete and arrangement swap like Emerald Hill Top. My gut still says that Sonic 2 was such a mess, they made S3&K a compilation of what they all agreed upon at the last minute but ran out of time to do.....minus time travel that was dead early in development.

[​IMG]

2. It's possible that the name was changed from Dust Hill to Mystic Cave (evidenced by the level slot), but it is also possible that the name Dust Hill was not actually intended to cover the level that is Mystic Cave.

That's true. Craig Stitt did mention working on a forest transitioning to a burned locale, which I took to reference Emerald Hill into Dust Hill, so that likely just carried over to Sonic 3 when it wasn't finished in time for 2. (Or if it had already been dropped prior to the altered deadline, idk.)

It also shows that multiple transitions, or thematic swaps, were intended for Sonic 2. A forest getting torched, and a desert that would be reused as a winter level.

3. Montblanc

Montblanc

I already asked that question to my friend and he didn't heard of it being used in that sense, he even looked for it with no results, if someone can confirm...

And talking about Winter level, when Yusuhara was asked, he only linked images or a video of a hack too? Because some hacks have the desert level with a transition into the winter recreation:

https://youtu.be/A3QBbBkfFvs (0:50)

*Edit: Just found the video he linked, but its only the desert level without snow...

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=12023

Yasuhara: Ok, the DustHill zone is like below.

http://sonicology.fateback.com/beta/sonic2...cept-desert.jpg
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lQ4kc9sY88Y

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    And now, for a totally different subject... Could someone post here as text the words on the plot/timeline sheet that came along the maps? I can't read it properly and only the "eggman escapes" phrase is relatively clear for me.

Btw, I proposed the fan game/hack thing some posts ago, "Sonic 2 Origin", with a different route for each different theory. XDDD

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Look like nothing but rocks to me. Crystals are always depicted more angular.

6. XCubed

XCubed

Reminds me of Mushroon Hill Act 2's "seasons." I think the ideas were just to large for Sonic 2 to handle.

7. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    [​IMG]Perhaps Sonic 3 was going to have a winter palette swap too!

In all seriousness it seems likes a lot of scrapped ideas from Sonic 2 ended up getting reused in Sonic 3. I think this actually worked out for the better, as it seems Sonic 2 wouldn't have been able to handle all this stuff as good as Sonic 3 did. So, maybe the Icecap palette for Sandopolis zone isn't too far off after all?

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That actually doesn't look too bad. At the very least it makes a pretty good desert night palette.

9. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

That actually looks really good. Sand is nothing but weird colored snow in the end.

10. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Now that I've seen Snowopolis, I wonder how does Sand Cap look like. :rolleyes:

11. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    [​IMG]

12. Snowopolis was one of Tail's best levels even!

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A shame that wasn't a full blown level, it was a good one.

14. XCubed

XCubed

I was thinking the same thing, but Sand Hill is the closest representation we are probably ever going to have (that means get to work because I know it can be done!).

15. Montblanc

Montblanc

The ice rocks in yellow can turn into something a bit familiar with a few tweaks :v:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/345cx0y.jpg

16. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Sonic 3 recycled scrapped ideas from Sonic 2!!? So Hidden Palace and the whole thing about how you'd get warped there to be granted your Super formes after collecting the emeralds wasn't new to S3!?

Thanks for the heads up guys, I would have never guessed. But wait, Sonic is blue!?

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

And Eggman is an egg-shaped man, can you believe it?

I didn't know someone did a level named Snowopolis, but I meant a palette swap with Sand Cap, not that generic 3D map of SA1. :argh:

That "Palace Cap", on the other hand, seems interesting and annoying at the same time, you know, a nice coincidence but painful to eyes.

Still needing some transcription of the time route sheet from Yasuhara's speech, or a link to a better screenshot of it, since the one in the wiki isn't easy to read. Can I have it, plz? :eng101:

18. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    [​IMG]
    This is just the foreground with the Sandopolis palette, I didn't change the palette cycles and the background is still Icecap because Icecap zone uses a different palette for the background.

19. Um, guys? I hate to be the buzzkill here but I thought this topic was for information that we can gather from the newly released materials and not speculation leading into fan-modifications of assets from later games

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    try a palette swap with mystic cave too ! at least the background lol