don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Mecha Sonic and Silver Sonic were present in Lego dimensions Sonic pack after being absent since a cameo in Sonic Adventure, so maybe there is some hope for one of them or both to make a return. Metal Sonic is cool, but to me, his appearances are no longer as shocking as they used to be (like in Chaotix, Heroes, and CD) due to his now quite common appearances.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Metal Sonic has kind of folded himself into the regular line up, but I think it should be that way. He adds another solid villain role to the Sonic series that adds a bit of safe variety. Not constant Eggman, but not monster of the week. He's kinda like the koopalings to Bowser. Plus after all the enemy rivals turned friends (Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze, Silver), it's nice to have a character who will always be an enemy.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Glad you hoots like the trailer. :v:

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

You're turning into Slingerland. :P

5. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Metal Sonic is, and always will be, my favorite rival to Sonic. But I do agree that he is at his best at Eggman's side. I enjoyed the concept of "He's such an amazing creation of Eggman's that he has moved on if not surpassed his creator", but at this point he's one of the only things that serves as a reminder of how serious a threat Eggman is, even with how silly some of his own weapons are. Looking at you, Emerald Hill Act 2.

I don't doubt for a moment that he'll show up in Mania, ESPECIALLY now that Stardust Speedway is confirmed. So long as the fight is as good as S4E2's battle was (The only high point of that game for me), I'll be more than thrilled to see him again.

...Just don't make it a race again.

Seriously.

Stop that.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I did live with the guy for a few months.

7. Flygon

Flygon

I'm gonna throw in a timeline theory here. Because everyone else is doing it.

Going by my own point of view, it seems like it'd be quite a few years after any of the Classic games. Going by what's been gleaned, it appears the plot appears to involves the past stages being recreated by someone, most likely Robotnik. Maybe to film the trio ploughing through them, or some other reason?
    Either way, and it's quite stating the obvious, much of the evidence so far does seem to point towards the stages being rebuilt by Robotnik. Why? I don't know yet.

Regardless, that theory would imply the events come some time after Sonic 3 & Knuckles. However, it's much more likely I'm totally wrong. Everyone involved in marketing has been fucking with us for a reason. :v:

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I really did like the trailer. Assuming you were involved in the trailer's creation, I have one minor suggestion/idea that could be used in the future.

What about having the HUD be separate from each scene, but act globally across all footage. Have the timer start counting up from the start of the trailer, and then increment the ring count any time a character collects any. It could help mask when footage is swapped out.

You could have even matched up the MSZ footage, but masked out the roller so it appears he is following even when the footage is changed.

Again, nothing major, but it could be a neat detail. I look forward to seeing more hopefully at E3 and eventually playing the game.

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I think the same, it's probably some sort of " virtual danger room" similar to the one in Xmen, who forces the boys to go again to all those old zones along with new ones. Also, this would be a great time to finally settle down the Sonic CD chronology issue, it's getting a bit out of hand ( specially in the spanish community, it's a burning theme lately). Maybe we can get some answer via the social media team, even if it's it using tumblr tags?

10. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Am I the only one that's noticed what seems to be a glitch with the roller badnik? Just as Sonic goes off the slope at the beginning with the badnik following behind, it seems to do a kind of "double take" and comes up the slope twice.

I'm really surprised no-one's mentioned it yet as far as I know.

*edit* ignore, problem solved

Ps. I also find it interesting that the loop-de-loop disintegrates after you go around it.

11. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    Nice observation!.. but you missed the HUD timer =P. Not a glitch, they had three recordings, one for each character, but the roller was at different positions

12. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Now hold on a second there. Metal Sonic's last canonical role was in Sonic Heroes right? He demonstrated there that he no longer obeys Eggman. The last time we saw him IIRC was when he was being carried away by Omega, a robot who similarly turned against Eggman. In the future, I think Metal Sonic will be a bit more independent of a character.

13. Montblanc

Montblanc

They used different clips, look how the player changes from Sonic/Tails/Knuckles.

And since other people already wrote their theories... :

After learning his future failures, Eggman decides to return to Little Planet and take the Time Stones to change the past once again, but this time instead of fighting Sonic he tries to make true his plans way before they even met for the first time.

After learning this, Sonic travels through time to be present at different points of history and stop him again like it was meant to be, fixing the timeline.

And more a wishful thinking than a theory:

+ - -Taxman and Stealth having access to unseen documents of early concepts for S1/2/3&K story and zones to use. -All that changes in history created a new timeline, so now classic Sonic has a new future to be seen. It's still possible for both to meet, and they still share the same past, but now they will live different lives.  

14. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Travelling back in time to past zones was what Generations did though. Like, that was kind of the whole concept of the game.

15. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I really hope this is not the case. It would ruin the magic of "revisiting old zones and seeing how they've changed". If the changes to the old zones are because someone recreated them in some virtual world it would be very meh to me.

I want to literally go back to my childhood and see how those zones changed over time by nature. Or exploring new areas, like the cave of Green Hill Zone. The feeling that those areas exists on the original Sonic 1, but simply are not explored, is kind of magic for me. Like when you play Pokemon Gold after playing Red: revisiting Kanto, and observing how it changed since the first game you've played, is an unique experience.

16. Montblanc

Montblanc

But it felt more like a Zone restoration than fixing the timeline.

I think it was said that revisiting the old levels had a purpose... Or it was a theory? And Forces being a timeline where Sonic didn't exist. I'm less confident about the latter, not really interested in Forces so far.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    "Sonic Mania....It's about time!"

Get it? :v:

I could totally work with Aaron in the marketing department! Wouldn't that be a nifty slogan at release?

18. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork

I got one too...

"Don't blink"
    [​IMG]

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well he was in Rivals, Generations, and Boom if that counts.

20. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

In Generations it was a past version of him. There's no way that Boom counts. And isn't Rivals that one Sonic game that no one could fit anywhere in the timeline without fucking shit up? Tbh I don't think it counts.

EDIT: Just looked it up, in Rivals he was reprogrammed by Eggman Nega. It would really suck if that means he's just a mindless servant from now on.

EDIT 2: He also appeared in Free Riders where he betrayed Eggman again and ran away after getting beat by Sonic in another race. I suppose this means he's independent again?