don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    [​IMG]

Slightly dissapointed that there was no ***& Chuckle too

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Oh hells yeah ! Thanks man !

3. Great trailer! I'm really loving the animation! :D

I am kinda saddened that this might be a digital-only thing though. :(

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Tyson Hesse is the Archie penciller right?

Badass animation, seriously.

5. Burrobot

Burrobot

Well, I see I'm slighty late to the news. I absolutely adore the animation, it's extremely smooth and wonderfully faithful to the style used in CD, short as it is. My only gripe? It really left me wanting a whole classic Sonic story told through CD-style animations, and I doubt (given the special thanks given in the pre-order trailer's description, and the file size of Mania) that'll be the case. Not a problem as such - I'm looking forward to a return to cut-scene storytelling - just a pipe dream of mine, really.

I also love the revamp of the past of Stardust Speedway. It'd be nice to have time travel for the CD stage(s) as others have said, but to be honest, I'd also like to see a slightly more unusual CD stage, such as Collision Chaos or Quartz Quadrant. I suppose CD's most iconic stage is indeed Stardust Speedway, but I think the game had a wonderfully abstract presentation of Sonic 1's level themes, with a few wildcards thrown in. I suppose, given the unconfirmed (and presumably large) number of stages, it's possible that CD might receive another stage remake. Given its somewhat more 'obscure' reputation compared to the numbered classics, though, I think it's unlikely. Never know, though - a man can dream.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    He's one of the Archie pencillers, yeah. Probably most well known for his work on the Sonic Mega Drive comics, which share the same art style as the animation in this trailer: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Mega_Drive_1

EDIT: Oh, he also did this old thing. He's come pretty far since then. He also did a comic called Diesel that's worth checking out!

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yup and yup.

Oh hey, look at his cool drawings of Classic Amy in that link! It would be such a shame not to have her appear in the game + - and make her an unlockable playable character   !

8. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

What if the punches in Knuckles' idle animation actually do damage. No, really.
    How cool would it be if you could punch something if you time it right.
    Imagine all the videos of bosses beaten with punches.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe they could use the budget for the not renewed Sonic Boom on a new Sonic Mania TV series.

Just sayin'.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It would be pretty worthless, but I remember trying to see if that actually worked in S3K back when I was a kid. And IIRC Advance 2 actually does this! (every character has an idle animation when you press up, and Knuckles' one functions as a punch combo if you hold it for long enough).

11. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    1) Link to where Sonic Boom is said to not have been renewed?
    2) That would imply that Sega wants a Sonic TV show based on Classic Sonic as opposed to Modern Sonic. Don't get me wrong, I love both designs, but I have to think of it more in terms of Sega's various mandates over what can happen in stories.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Ok... not yet renewed. =P

13. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    This trailer is finally what did it for me. I feel like a Sonic fan again. I feel proud to say it now and Sonic feels cool again. I'm fucking stoked to see how this new era of Sonic unfolds.

He also used to do sprite comics and eventually Boxer Hockey back in the day on Fireball20xl/Psyguy's site. I've personally witnessed him go from a 16 year old spriter to what he is today, the whole way. I even have a copy of his original Diesel book before the reboot. It's crazy to see him come this far...

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Worthless yes, but a nice touch certainly. Like Luigi's taunt in melee doing 1% damage.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well... it would make sense for them to reconsider their priorities after comparing the Mania sales to the Boom games'.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Agreed totally. That's the kind of attention to detail I expect from the Mania Team anyway. Like, they didn't change the structure of the GHZ background to fix the misaligned tiles, but instead made said tiles into a waterfall. And things like the UFOs in Studiopolis streetlights or Splats in the FBZ trash heaps... They're sparing no expense on making Mania the best game possible. I'm not saying that I expect Knuckles punching animation to actually deal damage, just that it sounds like kind of cool touch that Mania is full of.

17. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    WoW... The trailer is really awesome... I love the animation...

18. Montblanc

Montblanc

Awesome! I loved the animation! And seeing another green zone that is not a "hill", although being the past version makes me wonder if we are going to revisit the zones both in space and time.

I wish the game has at least an ending with that kind of animation... Also, 1,2,3,K,M, great. It's not like I didn't had some fun with S4 it but its name was too big for what it was.

The only downside, almost two months and half more of waiting.

19. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I really find it strange that CD doesn't have a delineation, yet K(nuckles) does...when it's really just Sonic 3.

Should be 1,CD,2,3,M. It doesn't look as clean.....maybe this was by design. Apparently they may not have wanted the whole "When does Sonic CD take place?" to be settled here. One thing for sure, no Sonic 4 in sight.

20. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

As someone whose first video game was Sonic the Hedgehog 1, this trailer made my eyes mist over. It's just so beautiful.

The majority of video games aren't made with love these days so when they clearly are you know you're in for something special. Breath of the Wild had that, Nier Automata had that, and Sonic Mania has it too.

We get to pretend Sonic 4 never happened and play a 60FPS classic Sonic for $20, at a file size four times the size of Sonic 2 (which is 24 MB). This game could be S3&K-sized.

I'm getting paid on Friday and this beautiful, beautiful game is getting pre-ordered on the PS4, and I'll probably buy it on Steam too just to play the thousands of mods people are going to make for it. Sonic Mania is going to make me double-dip and I never do that for anything.