don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I personally absolutely hate this for a pre-existing universe with characters that I already care about. I don't give a crap about being in the story, or expressing myself in the game. Forces custom characters should be a part of a separate title that doesn't use Sonic, Tails, Eggman or anyone else we already know. They could still tell the story of a world where Eggman's forces have won, but a long time has passed since then and Sonic and Co have all disappeared from the world/it's an alternate universe, so a rag-tag team no unremarkable heroes, aka "the Sonic Forces", must band together to save the world.

Why does Sonic need my help? And how the hell am I going to impact the story and work as a character? I just don't think that it's at all right. If the series continued down this track without also going the more traditional route too I'd be seriously disappointed.

2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    This is the apex of Sonic fandom. By trying to make everyone happy, no one ends up happy. The Create-Your-Own Character feature for for those that love additional characters, as well as those that hate all the other characters. I love the fact that sonic gameplay that focuses on SONIC. I'm actually quite thrilled at the realization that the last couple times non-Sonic characters were playable in a main game was Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom.....two games/series with horrible reception. This is the reasoning behind the concentration on Sonic only...he started out that way and is the best decision. Period. So being able to play as Bubsy is now a deviation once again.

3. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    I don't see the hate for the CAC system.

if you want, make an official character in the CAC system that you couldn't play as normally instead of a fan-creation.. (Example: Amy, Shadow, etc.)

I used do this for old Wrestling games that didn't have Stone Cold Steve Austin in it.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's probably better to wait and see until we actually know something about the game's story before complaining about it. :v:

I could see it going very wrong as well of course. I don't exactly have much hope for this game's writing considering Warren Graff and (presumably) Ken Pontac are the writers. Just I don't see much point in complaining when we know nothing yet at this point. And if the writing is bad, then that'd be nothing new for the Sonic franchise anyway. Still, I would like to see some change in that and, like, see them get Ian Flynn to write for the games instead.

5. ancara

ancara

This. Don't let the series fall into another period of "no other characters ever get used except Sonic" because Original the Character makes you upset. I mean, if you gotta do it, have fun with it like we all will when the time comes. After all, even if you despise this idea, just make Coldsteel, Sonichu or even Pikachu in a Sombrero. :v:

But seriously though, I think we all know this is a dumb, silly idea that some are getting made over. So why not enjoy it as the dumb thing it is now whilst we can before we get back to our usual fun arguing over what happens next for the series?

6. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    I'm guessing very few people here follow Shun Nakamura (director of Forces, also lead game designer of Billy Hatcher and 06...) on Twitter, and some of the things he posted in the last couple of days might be of interest to some people. The translation may be a little off, it's taken from another twitter user who translates Sonic Team devs' Japanese tweets to English.

1: He said the third character's game play will be "high speed, just like Sonic's [game play]"

2: In a later tweet, he stated: "There is the avatar, but the main character is Sonic as always! The story's development started firstly in Japan after a long time, too." So maybe the story concept isn't from Pontac & Co., and the American writers were just assigned to write a script around that concept?

3: Before the big announcement, he also posted this picture, which was a "doodle from reference project proposal", with a Sonic Forces hashtag, so I guess this is relevant as well, even if it doesn't say a whole lot about the game. The thing on the left is probably supposed to be the avatar/OC/Buddy, or whatever you wanna call him.

[​IMG]

Dunno if this helps the discussion, but no one's mentioned these yet, so I went ahead and posted em here.

EDIT: Nakamura is the producer, not director of Forces. Got that wrong.

7. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Shhhhh we're naively hoping that they keep the time-travel bullshit to a minimum :specialed:

8. ancara

ancara

I hope that they actually go ball-out with it since Classic Sonic is already here.

I want to see Knuckles, Knuckles & Knuckles starring Knuckles with his friend Knuckles and his love Knuckles featuring Knuckles from the Knuckles & Knuckles series. :specialed:

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It'll be like that AoSTH episode where Sonic goes back various increments in order to recruit past versions of himself to fight Super Robotnik.

10. Breadbin

Breadbin

I'm actually quite indifferent to the Create-A-Character gimmick. I understand and respect the appeal for it but will probably personally never use it.

I'm OK with this :)

11. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

The possibility of Ken Penders' death also overrules canon. :specialed:

12. Same, what a nice level-headed post.

The new modifiable specs wearing character is, imo, a million times more in line with the original spirit of a Sonic game than say, Shadow or Silver.

13. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    It's not like all of the echidnas in existence were part of the Knuckle Clan.

But yeah, I highly doubt SEGA obtained the rights of Shade and the Dark Brotherhood from Bioware before it was acquired by EA. But if they did, they could bring them back in some form at the cost of chronicle's story line; hell, make it so that they're from Blaze's dimension.

This bring up a good point though, and a insight into the negotiation between Archie and SEGA; is SoJ demanding Archie to rush their storyline to promote Sonic Forces, or that they're getting the design they made of the Freedom Fighters to include in a DLC mission at the cost of their license? I could see them end the comic saying "TBC in Forces".

14. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Ew, no, please stop retconning things. Why would they have to get rid of Chronicles' storyline? Just provide a hand-wavey resolution to the cliffhanger at the end.

I mean, they're never going to probably, but Chronicles had a good story, I see no reason to wipe it out.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hold on now. Didn't Chronicles ending involve Sonic being in some alternate dimension, only to come back to find out that Eggman took over the world?

This IS the sequel to Sonic Chronicles :specialed:

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Chronicles' story was pretty baseline and by-the-numbers for a JRPG, and it still didn't really succeed in addressing how any of the characters actually felt about the situation or fleshed out the villain to something beyond "rah now I'm gonna be the boss of everyone forever".

What it did do well was character interactions. While choosing the "dickhole" dialogue option every time wouldn't suit him, each individual piece of writing sounded like something Sonic could definitely say, and if whoever did the dialogue there could work on Forces, I wouldn't be opposed.

17. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Oh lordy, I only just realized that the OC is almost definitely going to have a Super Form.

The jokes are writing themselves and I am adoring every second of it.

18. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Would be about a million times better than anything Pontac and Graff will write.

19. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Seriously, for fuck's sake SEGA, just fire those morons and hire Ian Flynn. And then never let anyone else touch Sonic ever again. This is the solution.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm guessing that since most people don't have a problem with Warren and Ken, at least less so than with the stories in Sonic games before they got involved, that it's unlikely that they'll be replaced.

That being said, they totally should get Ian Flynn to write for the games instead of those two. Dude's more than proved himself at this point.