don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Nova

Nova

You haven't done anything to explain why 'millenial pandering' is not a completely idiotic thing to say so, as far as I'm concerned, my post still stands. Please explain to me what about this specifically targets 'the millenials', especially considering half of them in this thread seem to dislike the idea?

Also, what Tim said. I don't think you're in any position to try and swing the discussion into a debate on what is and isn't mature, when you throw around autism (and seemingly millenial though I may be wrong) as an insult.

2. JigenD

JigenD

That's the part of the argument I don't agree with: The word choice. While his word choice isn't the best, the rest of that quote is still very constructive (maturity and all that). But yeah, do keep nitpicking on smaller matters of word-choice; I'm sure that contributes a lot to argument quality and discussion depth.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Except nobody in here is doing "positivity campaigns" so it doesn't even apply to here. You only seem to be using it because people are liking something you don't like and oh no thats bad.

4. JigenD

JigenD

"Throw around autism"? LOL I literally used the word once (which I readily admitted it wasn't the best thing to do and edited the post). Also the "millennial" analogy in marketing was put forward by another user, which I merely quoted so as to reinforce the validity of his point, when you merely dismissed it. And yeah it does indeed make sense to categorize this whole hyper-customization trend - in gaming and otherwise - as a manifestation of individualist psychologism, where the contemporary individual responds positively to stimuluses which incentive him to insert self-representations/avatars/projections of his apetites in his surrounding reality. Much more could be said about this of course. The only disputable thing is whether this is a generational phenomenon (as in "millenial") or a post-modern one.

5. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Echidnas are out due to Knuckles being the last echidna :v:

If you wanna get technical, there's the Nocturnus clan, but we don't really know what happened to most of them (Besides Shade), and sadly I doubt Chronicles' plot will ever be expanded upon or revisited. + - Shade bb we miss u <3  

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Alright people, let's leave the discussion about supposed "millennial pandering" and others taking up far too much room in this topic on the back bench for now, yeah? It's not going anywhere fast, and at this point is probably better left at the agree to disagree point and move on.

Let's bring discussion back to the actual game itself, what has been shown so far, what people want from it, etc. rather than the politics behind what has been done.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ok discuss the game.

What do you all think the possibilities are of gear or even additional animal DLC? Maybe they're keeping Echidnas, Foxes, and the popular species lot out for the time being expecting you to buy them. If they were to do that I'd at least hope that Echidnas could glide and Foxes could fly.

8. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    On that note, does anybody actually want power-ups and items playing such a significant role in Sonic gameplay to begin with? I hate the idea of the self-insert character to begin with, and think the design for it sucks (Toontown), but all that aside I think the reaction here would be far less vitriolic if the gameplay didn't look like Sonic Colors but with more emphasis on power ups. The movement seems really clunky and doesn't have any flow. It's completely counterintuitive to the appeal of Sonic in the first place, at least to me.

Colors was fun as a side game and I enjoyed it a lot at the time for being the first game not to gimp itself with an obviously horrible gimmick, but the fact that damage control from SEGA PR is going straight to "don't worry, it's like Colors" is concerning.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't mind power-ups or items in Sonic gameplay. And if the OC gameplay was anything to go by the color powerups look much more streamlined now, so there's no transformations but they alter your abilities in a way that seems closer to the elemental shields (like the burst wisp gave you a flamethrower... I think, that could just be the weapon, and it enabled a temporary multijump). Whether this translates to Modern Sonic I don't know, he could still transform, but he also might not use wisps outside of boosting at all, we don't know yet.

Also going off the trailer though, it looks like there will be a lot of different wisps per level this time, which means unlike Colors where wisps were often tickets to get by certain areas, this time you have options and can approach levels in different ways which could add to replay value.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

My thoughts on this game. (Excuse repetition - this mostly is a cross post of two separate posts on SSMB)

I'm going to follow the news for this game because it's Sonic and I'll always be interested in keeping up with the series, but ultimately I just want to forget that it even exists. It does a handful of relatively little things that I like - the theme music is cool, the artstyle is on-point and there's a level theme with vocals. The rest of the game, including its gameplay, cast and main hook, is like a nightmare. It's everything I never wanted. By and large it's a horrible endeavour that really hurts to look at.

This game is purely intended to draw in new fans with customisable wacky characters because that's what's popular right now. The two iterations of Sonic that are forced in here stand to prove that SEGA can't seem to get passed this idea of pleasing everyone, and doing a poor job in the process. I honestly would have no gripes with this game if it was set in a parallel universe/distant future where none of the established cast existed. But no. It's an obvious mixture of lack of a lack of confidence and following the trends.

I kind of hope that it bombs, or performs about adequately but gets slated in the process. I want SEGA to get the message that no, this is not okay. But, to be honest, it could be a real hit on the market. If a new audience, presumably the majority world be younger kids, latch on to this then it could be a huge success, paving the way for more in the future. YouTube currently stands at 26k likes vs 2k dislikes, and is still trending two days after it went up. It was #1 trending for over 24 hours. That's disheartening.

This isn't Sonic. Thank fuck for Mania. And before anyone rags on me for being so upset/salty/ragey, I've kept it in check. This game is not why I'm a Sonic fan.

I like the Sonic series for its gameplay and it's characters - that includes everything from their personalities to their abilities to the designs. I have no desire whatsoever to see custom characters make an appearance alongside the canon cast because Sonic isn't a series where I want to see myself in the experience or put my own stamp on things. It's so upsetting to see this take presidence over the things I've always loved about the series, not least because those things have already been sidelined so much in this past decade.

The custom character designs really seem to be breaking the mold of Sonic character design, and not in a good way; seeing them adorned in all manner of clothing, colours and accessories is jarring. It doesn't feel like it belongs. They stop looking like carefully designed characters and become very bland and non-descript anthros. I can't help but feel that I'm looking at Toontown Online here.

Speaking of Toontown, I can only reiterate that I feel such an approach would have been better for Forces. I can imagine it going down really well it if was kept as a separate branch to the main series rather than being a catch-all that in vain.n attempt to engage as many people as possible instead of actually showing the confidence, drive and passion to fix this tarnished franchise. SEGA have chosen not to improve Sonic, but change it instead. There's absolutely no reason to have put Sonic, yet alone Classic Sonic as well, in this title other than to try to appease fans in a very shallow way and because of a lack of confidence in their ideas or capabilities to pull them off we. I feel it's totally missing the point, which has been a recurring theme now for longer than I care to remember. As it's own endeavour that's set in the Sonic universe with familiar gameplay and elements but none of the existing cast, Forces would be able to stand out as something very bold. Instead, it feels like a focus group produced product. I'm not getting any sense of this game being a passion project from Sonic Team.

The character creator looks like it's going to be fun for those that want it, and I think they're smart to include it in some capacity.

The boost gameplay is going to please fans who want that. But personally, I've grown very tired of Sonic Team's approach to game design. To me, it's not a question of the boost being a problem, but rather just how crappily made the games are. Sonic games largely pay as interactive movies at the moment, and that's to accommodate the boost gameplay in a very shallow way. The player is severely limited in what they can do. The only way to play the game is is through speedrunning - there's no nuance to the design which is scripted, automated and woefully linear.

The Classic gameplay is going to please the reviewers by its presence, but has already struck a bum-note with many. The engine is clearly designed for the boost gameplay, so Classic Sonic handles poorly and still goes through all manner of automated sequences all the time. Part of me wonders if Mania was pushed for by SoA because they had some serious doubts about Forces. Of course, that's really only conjecture and I've nothing to actually back up my assumptions.

The third character's gameplay basically looks like the extra acts in Generations and Colours - that is, you'll be running through levels that were actually designed for another purpose and so they just have enemies, objects and other random junk strewn everywhere. It looks no more fun than the rest of the game. The grappling wire is a no go too - you use it only on the predetermined targets, and it has absolutely no bearing on physics as the character comes to a dead stop on latching on to them. I'm so used to seeing this kind of thing in Sonic games now that I'm not in any way surprised, but I still yearn for it to change. I can appreciate that the Wisps seem to be used in a better manner here, and the Wispons specifically look like they could add variety. I need to see more of this to fully judge it. That's about as positive as I can really get.

I don't like that Classic Sonic is back in this game. I don't like that the extended cast is not playable in this game. I don't like the custom character in this game. I don't like the gameplay and it's engin. I do not like this game.

11. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    :specialed:

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The possibility of money always overrules canon :specialed:

13. ancara

ancara

I'm pretty sure if this game sell well enough, DLC packs for Original the Character with new species, clothing, ect. will be a given. And no matter how many don't like or feel eh about this game, I've learned one big thing from another game (skylanders) that we're all not accounting for: If kids eat this up and buy it like hotcakes, it's going to be a big new thing for SEGA.
    Never underestimate the power of kids wanting to pay lods of dosh to be able to make their own self-insert or imagined character in their favorite series. I mean, we can argue about whether kids still even play non-mobile vidya, whether this is going to destroy the series and so on until our faces turn blue and Shark Week rears its head with a vengeance, but patterns have shown this is the kinda stuff kids go nuts for like virtual crack. And besides, you, me, the guy rambling on for the past 2-5 pages and so forth know that if this happened when we were younger around the SA1/SA2 era, we'd be all over it like crack. :v:

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I like how people are arguing there wouldn't be any echidna characters because Knuckles is the last one, when we already have two Sonics in the game.

15. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    For what it's worth I think the original character thing is fucking stupid in Dragon Ball too. If I'm buying the game I want to be Goku, not some time travel asshole ("""""me"""""") fighting next to Goku-- why does anyone want that? The appeal is completely over my head. It makes the characters that actually matter less important to make room for a blank slate boring asshole for no reason.

16. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I doubt they'd give you characters that fly, as it might break the game if you go outside the route they want you to go on - especially if there's a lot of scripted sequences like we've had in Generations etc.

17. ancara

ancara

People love to fantasize always about being part of their favorite fictional universe. It's a big part of why fanfiction, fanart, ect. is such a big thing, and a lot of people passionately love this sorta stuff. So the idea of actually being able to BE a part of said fictional universe as your own character is a dream come true for many. Thus why quite many love this sorts stuff, me included. :v:

18. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Wasn't Tails a special one-of-kind fox that had 2 tails? I was pretty sure it said this in the manual for sonic 2, but I can't remember. This would mean flying for Tails based OCs would be out. But, as said before, the possibility of money always overrules canon.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk, from that 30 seconds of OC gameplay we saw it looked like there were a number of places to go, plus that grappling hook looks pretty abusable.

Also the bird characters apparently have a double jump, so they already have something in place. Flying would just be an alternative to that.

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Injecting yourself into the story has always been polarising among gamers. Even with me I have rigid ideas what type of game should have them. Something that is very character driven in my mind should only have a designed character while something like Dark Souls where the world is the character should only have a create a character. I just find these work best for these scenarios.